talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Round of 16 - Monday 2nd July - Brazil 2-0 Mexico

football forum

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought México were really good until their energy levels ran out. They were really exciting with lightning speed transitions coupled with precise midrange to longrange passes.

But as in their game against Germany, they were wasted halfway through the second half without having scored first.

Then it was all about the fitter Brazil and the more talented players like Neymar were able to shine. I have Brazil as favourites along with Uruguay right now but obviously they can’t meet in a hypothetical final. 

I've been saying that at international level, Miranda is the best CB currently for a good while now. After a shaky start, he's looking like the player I remember in the qualifiers.

Brazil look proper contenders now. They had a slow start but they've slowly gotten better and this was their best match so far in my opinion. Closest to what they were in the qualifiers.

12 minutes ago, Stan said:

Thiago Silva one of the centre-backs of the tournament so far for me. Rock solid.

Agree. Thiago Silva is still a great defender. 

Neymar will get the headlines, but it´s our defence that is taking us to this stage. Miranda and Thiago Silva have been great so far, and today Alisson was really solid in his interventions, which is very important to estabilize the defence. 

The midfield setup still worries me, Fred should come in for Paulinho, with Fernandinho replacing Casemiro, who´s suspended. We need better pass and control of the build up against Belgium, their forwards won´t forgive mistakes. 

Gabriel Jesus should be benched for Firmino as well. Once again, this is pure stubbornness and it could end being very costly against Belgium. 

Wilian MOTM for me.  

1 minute ago, El Profesor said:

Agree. Thiago Silva is still a great defender. 

Neymar will get the headlines, but it´s our defence that is taking us to this stage. Miranda and Thiago Silva have been great so far, and today Alisson was really solid in his interventions, which is very important to estabilize the defence. 

The midfield setup still worries me, Fred should come in for Paulinho, with Fernandinho replacing Casemiro, who´s suspended. We need better pass and control of the build up against Belgium, their forwards won´t forgive mistakes. 

Gabriel Jesus should be benched for Firmino as well. Once again, this is pure stubbornness and it could end being very costly against Belgium. 

Wilian MOTM for me.  

Lets face it mate, if Tite puts on Firmino for Jesus, the end of the world is near xD

7 minutes ago, Blue said:

I've been saying that at international level, Miranda is the best CB currently for a good while now. After a shaky start, he's looking like the player I remember in the qualifiers.

Brazil look proper contenders now. They had a slow start but they've slowly gotten better and this was their best match so far in my opinion. Closest to what they were in the qualifiers.

Miranda has been good but he hasn’t had to contend with what Godín has for Uruguay. Godín has been the best centre-back for a long time now but almost everyone has sinned by not valuing him enough although recognising he’s always been a rock. 

Just now, SirBalon said:

Miranda has been good but he hasn’t had to contend with what Godín has for Utuguay. Godín has been the best centre-back for a long time now but almost everyone has sinned by not valuing him enough although recognising he’s always been a rock. 

I think Godin is the best defender in the world, but in the qualifiers he was awful. Hence why I said Miranda and Pepe are the 2 best. At least for a good while, now I may say Godin because he's been great in this tournament.

5 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Miranda has been good but he hasn’t had to contend with what Godín has for Uruguay. Godín has been the best centre-back for a long time now but almost everyone has sinned by not valuing him enough although recognising he’s always been a rock. 

A positive side of this World Cup so far is that Thiago Silva is building a different chapter. He is one of best CBs of his generation, and what happened in 2014 always haunted him. So it´s nice to see him having the chance to turn the page and making the most of it.  

14 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

I have. I was even a fan before he went to Atlético Madrid. I found him :ph34r:

@Fusion

1 minute ago, El Profesor said:

A positive side of this World Cup so far is that Thiago Silva is building a different chapter. He is one of best CBs of his generation, and what happened in 2014 always haunted him. So it´s nice to see him having the chance to turn the page and making the most of it.  

The only thing that was ever in question was his nerve and courage as far as I’m concerned. Never his talent as a centre-back. But for sure this has been a chance vindicate or exonerate (same thing really) himself which he has done marvellously. 

44 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

The only thing that was ever in question was his nerve and courage as far as I’m concerned. Never his talent as a centre-back. But for sure this has been a chance vindicate or exonerate (same thing really) himself which he has done marvellously. 

The average football fan know him most for crying in that Chile match in 2014. I guess this is also the bad side of playing at PSG. Noone really watches you, but Thiago Silva is in my opinion one of the best central defenders in brazilian football history. Certainly the best of his generation. 

15 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

The average football fan know him most for crying in that Chile match in 2014. I guess this is also the bad side of playing at PSG. Noone really watches you, but Thiago Silva is in my opinion one of the best central defenders in brazilian football history. Certainly the best of his generation. 

It's sad that Mbappe is at PSG also, he should be somewhere like Barcelona, Real(preferably not them.. ) or a top English side. It would take his status to another level. 

Brazil to me looked very stable today. Save for maybe a few moments in the opening minutes, Mexico never looked like they were going to win it. Or rather, Brazil never looked like they were going to give it away. Thiago and Miranda blocked nearly every potentially dangerous shot, and the midfielders/attackers managed to create enough space for the more creative players to do their thing. Unlike previous matches, Willian also played a decent match. He still has a tendency to cling on to the ball for to long, but if he keeps improving, Brazil will not be forced to create everything via the left flank, making their game less predictable.

Neymar played a great match but sadly fell back into his old habits rather quick. It's scandalous really, but as long as he keeps being a decisive player, I suppose there is not much Tite or his team mates can say to make him adjust his behavior.

5 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

It's sad that Mbappe is at PSG, he should be somewhere like Barcelona. It would take his status to another level. 

Makes sense to me - He's from France, PSG is currently the kings of France, and the only team able to pay him as much as they are. He'll be royalty there if he can get this French team another World Cup, and would add more to his legend if he led PSG to the Champions League victory.

Just because the league isn't as competitive as Spain/England/Italy, doesn't mean that players like him can't improve it and make the league more popular. 

5 minutes ago, Panflute said:

Brazil to me looked very stable today. Save for maybe a few moments in the opening minutes, Mexico never looked like they were going to win it. Or rather, Brazil never looked like they were going to give it away. Thiago and Miranda blocked nearly every potentially dangerous shot, and the midfielders/attackers managed to create enough space for the more creative players to do their thing. Unlike previous matches, Willian also played a decent match. He still has a tendency to cling on to the ball for to long, but if he keeps improving, Brazil will not be forced to create everything via the left flank, making their game less predictable.

Neymar played a great match but sadly fell back into his old habits rather quick. It's scandalous really, but as long as he keeps being a decisive player, I suppose there is not much Tite or his team mates can say to make him adjust his behavior.

I agree. Mexico definitely weren't bad here. It's just that on form there are very few teams that can stop this Brazil. They have been disappointing at the start of the tournament but are gradually getting better and this is more the Brazil I remember from qualifying. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived