Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

EFL Trophy

football forum

Confirmed reports today that despite most of the Football League voicing concerns over the Checkatrade Trophy it will continue throughout next season with the inclusion of Premier League academies.

I bet they pointed to what happened in the final as a positive. It's a sickener Coventry won it because that is literally the best possible outcome for the shambolic tournament they have created - a  decent sized club so utterly deprived of any positive that they treat it like it means something, thus deluding the EFL that it's been a success.

In reality it was just a shambles.

• Upvote 1

It doesn't make any difference to me, if they've voted that they want to keep it then let them get on with it. We don't enter out under-23 side anyway.

Money talks, unfortunately. 

Joke competition, but they've bumped the prize money up to £3m, I believe? For the chairmen and accountants, it's worth putting up with the nonsense that comes with it. For the fans, it's a fucking sham.

On the contrary I'm delighted we haven't entered in to it and, if given a choice, if like to see us opt out the Carabao Cup sham too.

Not sure how the League Cup can be described as a sham or why it's beneath a team like Palace. 

The format change looks better but the U23 sides should be regionalised too so you don't end up with three sides from the South West playing Fulham U23's. 

Urgh. I can't read checkatrade without singing it, checkatrade, checkatrade dot com

Surely the way to go with this competition is to attend vs 'proper' teams and to boycott the U23 sides? Shows that people don't want them in there without making a mockery of the whole thing. 

Full draw

Northern section

• Group A: Carlisle, Fleetwood, Morecambe, Leicester City Under-21
  • Group B: Accrington, Blackpool, Wigan, Middlesbrough Under-21
  • Group C: Blackburn, Bury, Rochdale, Stoke City Under-21
  • Group D: Crewe, Oldham, Port Vale, Newcastle United Under-21
  • Group E: Coventry, Shrewsbury, Walsall, West Brom Under-21
  • Group F: Bradford, Chesterfield, Rotherham, Manchester City Under-21
  • Group G: Lincoln, Mansfield, Notts County, Everton Under-21
  • Group H: Doncaster, Grimsby, Scunthorpe, Sunderland Under-21

Southern Section

• Group A: Charlton, Crawley, Portsmouth, Fulham Under-21
  • Group B: Colchester, Gillingham, Southend, Reading Under-21
  • Group C: Bristol Rovers, Swindon, Wycombe, West Ham Under-21
  • Group D: Exeter, Plymouth, Yeovil, Chelsea Under-21
  • Group E: Cheltenham, Forest Green, Newport, Swansea Under-21
  • Group F: AFC Wimbledon, Barnet, Luton, Tottenham Under-21
  • Group G: MK Dons, Oxford, Stevenage, Brighton Under-21
  • Group H: Cambridge, Northampton, Peterborough, Southampton Under-21

so we get 3 teams in the North West while Everton get 3 teams in the Midlands(ish) xD 

Great stuff. 

Cambridge vs Peterborough and Northampton should be tasty.

2 hours ago, Stan said:

so we get 3 teams in the North West while Everton get 3 teams in the Midlands(ish) xD 

Great stuff. 

There was no need for a draw for the U23 sides, they should have been assigned geographically as well. 

We should swap with Man City as well.

Surely the draw was rigged for West Brom and Sunderland?

I went to Rovers first group game last night, at home to Stoke Under-23s. We won 1-0 thanks to a Joe Nuttall goal - the young striker signed this summer has started his Rovers career really well scoring 6 goals in 3 under-23 games and a goal on his debut for the senior team. Mowbray put out a strong team but also took the opportunity to give a few youngsters their debuts/first senior starts. At one point our back 4 and goalkeeper were all academy graduates, and all the youngsters involved look like they have a real chance of making it into the senior team. The most likely are Nuttall and Tomlinson, but the full backs Travis and Doyle also have a chance. We lost Nyambe and Williams to injuries so hopefully they are only minor.

Cambridge lost on penalties to Northampton last night. Yep, penalties in a group game and they used the ABBA system for the shootout. On a positive note, a 1-1 draw away at League 1 opposition is alright though admittedly I have no idea how strong the line ups were.

What a great competition where Premier League U23's get beaten off League One and League Two B teams.

15 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

What a great competition where Premier League U23's get beaten off League One and League Two B teams.

You won't be saying that when we all reminisce about England's World Cup win in 2022 and how Ibrehim Affley and Charlie Adam were footballing visionaries by playing in the Checkatrade Trophy. 

Our group game against Bury last night was dire. We put out a team with a mixture of senior players in need of game and the youngsters, and it didn't work! They looked like a team who hadn't played together before. 

EVERYONE IT'S OKAY! We beat Rochdale on Penalties. I know everyone was sooooooo invested in this match.

A win for us tonight at Bury will see us though to the next round. We're currently 1-0 up through another Joe Nuttall goal! That's now 4 goals in his first 4 appearances for the senior team! #feedthenutt 

Cambridge played rivals Peterborough for the first time in yonks tonight. Lost 2-0.

I'd still have an interest in this tournament if they took out the academy teams again, it was worth a try but it's ended up making it too much of a piss take (and hard to bet on above all else). Also need to sack off the group format and go back to straight knockout. 

In the two years we've been in this we've had no fewer than three new grounds for me to go to and I won't go simply on principle (and I'm not quite sure I can be arsed going to Morecambe to watch our reserves). Absolutely typical that we get them in this utter shitheap of a tournament.

On 12/05/2017 at 6:48 PM, Dan said:

I bet they pointed to what happened in the final as a positive. It's a sickener Coventry won it because that is literally the best possible outcome for the shambolic tournament they have created - a  decent sized club so utterly deprived of any positive that they treat it like it means something, thus deluding the EFL that it's been a success.

In reality it was just a shambles.

Exactly anyone that knows Cov knows they couldn’t give a toss. For a lot of them which they freely admit the Ricoh will go and that was really the only chance they’re likely to get to see them at Wembley before they go. Half the fans I know think they’re going to fold within a decade

Wigan didn't have a player with a squad number beneath 30 last night and gave a debut to a 15/16 year-old, who become their youngest ever player. 

Bradford played in front of 941 (they average well over 10k most games) and gave a debut to a 15 year-old. 

Tournaments going well, it seems xD

11 hours ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Exactly anyone that knows Cov knows they couldn’t give a toss. For a lot of them which they freely admit the Ricoh will go and that was really the only chance they’re likely to get to see them at Wembley before they go. Half the fans I know think they’re going to fold within a decade

Coventry City truly is a club dying on its arse. There's such an apathy about them now it's ridiculous.

36 minutes ago, Dan said:

Coventry City truly is a club dying on its arse. There's such an apathy about them now it's ridiculous.

Number 1 culprit is Coventry council to utter shower of cunts

12 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

248 at Grimsby Town v Sunderland U23's, including three away fans. 

Might as well cancel the competition now. 

Bollocks. Didn't you know England future stars such as Jack Rodwell and Callum McManaman were playing last night, as well as Ibrahim Afellay, Charlie Adam and Saido Berahino for Stoke? ¬¬

Clearly a worthwhile competition. 

Leicester and Chelsea qualify for the next round. Leicester played six overage players, when can we expect their fine to be announced?