talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Other Matches - Saturday 1st September - Sunday 2nd September

football forums

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of the misses Benteke has made have been absolutely amazing. Any other striker would have scored four. 

Ref's been woeful, again, but it doesn't make up for the fact that our form without Zaha is not good enough.

• Subscriber

That was gash from us. Can't blame Huddersfield for their tactics. Snidey, dirty, combative, breaking the game up at every opportunity, long throws and a goal from a set piece. They deserved their point though.

One of those games where you need to get the first goal against the 5-4-1 visitors but instead you concede from a set piece and end up fighting an uphill struggle. That was the performance of a team with too many youngsters and new signings and not enough of our strongest eleven.

We should be disappointed with six points from Wolves, Southampton, Bournemouth and Huddersfield but today was the only really poor performance. The key thing about these first four games is to learn lessons, the main one being to sort out defending set pieces, because while I understand that the players may need time to adapt to zonal marking, it's not acceptable at this level to concede goals from the same situation four games in a row.

Not the end of the world though, we still have Mina, Keane, Gomes, Gueye, Bernard, Richarlison to return to the fold after the international break and we missed Walcott in the latter stages after Huddersfield successfully kicked him out of the game.

No major complaints about the performances today, but Sigurdsson was quiet and Coleman hasn't had a great start to the season. Two senior players that need to step up more next time we're in this situation.

• Subscriber
9 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Bit surprised Palace have lost the last 2. I thought they played prettt well against us and it would be hard for sides to get anything from them.

Last three.

I'm surprised at them also. Their record without Zaha is staggeringly bad.

• Subscriber

After today's fixtures then,

- Mitrovic is joint top goalscorer in the league, alongside Sadio Mane, both scoring their fourth of the season today.

- Brighton and Fulham share an identical record of W1 D1 L2 and a goal difference of -2 after their draw.

- Chelsea maintain their 100% start and are the first team to reach 10 league goals.

- Bournemouth suffer their first defeat of the season.

- Crystal Palace have now lost three in a row, including back to back 2-0 defeats at home.

- Southampton take their first win of the season with Ings scoring in back to back away games.

- Everton remain unbeaten but with just one win from their first four league game.

- Everton have both scored and conceded in all of their games so far.

- Huddersfield and West Ham are the first teams to concede 10 league goals this season.

- West Ham are the only team to go into the international break with 0 points. Their next five fixtures are Everton (A), Chelsea (H), Man Utd (H), Brighton (A) and Tottenham (H).

• Subscriber

West Ham are in absolutely serious trouble here. They're having a start like Palace last year and the difference is I'm not sure they've got that organisation about them to get out of it like Palace had.

They look a good bet to drop.

• Subscriber

West Ham are the us from last season. Spent all that money on attackers without any plan, horrible fixtures to start the season. This 0-1 home defeat is the Everton 0-1 Burnley we had last season. I don't think they'll end up going down though.

• Subscriber
22 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

West Ham are the us from last season. Spent all that money on attackers without any plan, horrible fixtures to start the season. This 0-1 home defeat is the Everton 0-1 Burnley we had last season. I don't think they'll end up going down though.

You've got better players than them and hadn't really shown signs of going down in previous years. West Ham are volatile and I do think it's possible they drop. I'd still say unlikely but they'll be in the reckoning on this early showing.

They also can't call on Allardyce xD

Not many positives for us. 

Honestly, I'm not over exaggerating when I say Benteke should have scored four goals today. He missed from three yards, he missed from six yards, he missed the ball entirely. We could still be playing now and he wouldn't have scored.

Without Zaha we seem to lack cohesion and rhythrm. We still created a lot of chances but Schlupp and Ayew just looked like headless chickens at times. The timing of the substitutes was odd, and once again we were punished on the counter attack.

Away from the Palace, I am absolute staggered that The FA have not called declared a state of emergency in to the current standard of refereeing in this country. Martin Atkinson is the fourth incompetent fuckwit in the four games we have had this season. Two of the four penalty appeals we had seemed stone wall to me but we didn't get one. No wonder none of these fuckwits were considered for the World Cup.

• Administrator

Surprising to see Palace lose at home. Why didn't Zaha play? One of the worst transfers I've ever made for fantasy league, taking out Firmino for him xD

West Ham lose again... How long before pressure is on Pellegrini? Bet they saw this as a game they should and could be winning. 

21 minutes ago, Stan said:

Surprising to see Palace lose at home. Why didn't Zaha play? One of the worst transfers I've ever made for fantasy league, taking out Firmino for him xD

West Ham lose again... How long before pressure is on Pellegrini? Bet they saw this as a game they should and could be winning. 

Groin injury and struggling from being hacked at last week. Amazing he didnt get GBH injuries the way Watford went after him.

System needs a mobile forward. Giroud is a great option off the bench, but we need a striker in the same mold as Dybala, Aguero, Jesus, Mertens, etc. Morata isn't cut out for this type of football. 

Still showing a lack of directness in the final third, although it didn't help having Willian on the pitch. Good shifts from everyone, especially Alonso once again. Having Kovacic helps Alonso push so much forward. 

Archived