talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Football Manager 2017 - General Chat

football forum

• Subscriber

Why do you have Paul Bollendorf as a scout Libby xDxDxD It's well known in the FM community that you can't trust a word he says. Or are you experimenting with it to see for yourself?

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Storts said:

Why do you have Paul Bollendorf as a scout Libby xDxDxD It's well known in the FM community that you can't trust a word he says. Or are you experimenting with it to see for yourself?

I just started a new save with Grasshoppers, and I haven't really fiddled around with the staff yet. Based on your word I may sack him off as one.

• Subscriber
18 minutes ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

I just started a new save with Grasshoppers, and I haven't really fiddled around with the staff yet. Based on your word I may sack him off as one.

Fair enough! See how it goes

• Administrator
17 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

What's everyone's biggest win ever? Just had an 8-0, could be a nasty aggregate score as that's the first leg xD.

had an 8-0 the other day. Think that's my biggest on FM17.

Fulham v Stoke_ Analysis Post-Match.png

I remember having a 12-1 on a previous FM but can't remember who it was against.

Think mine was 12-0 in the Brazilian state leagues. Think it was with Chapecoense earlier on 17.

My biggest loss was on FM 15. Lost to Barcelona 11-0 with Sestao River.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

What's everyone's biggest win ever? Just had an 8-0, could be a nasty aggregate score as that's the first leg xD.

Leicester 9-0 Liverpool on FM11. Beat Preston away by the same scoreline once. That Leicester side I had was incredible, champions of Europe but didn't ever actually win the league.

Biggest at Barnsley is beating Reading 6-1 I think.

Biggest on 17... Ferencvaros 2-8 Honved. A game I was expected to lose and that happened.

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Danny said:

Will never understand how you can just get tonked by a Chelsea-side 6-0 even when you try and play defensively. It's as if they just score goals for fun from anywhere on the pitch.

literally just went 9 games without a win as Fulham and just beat Chelsea 3-1 xD. Due to the rivalry, I think passionately telling them to do it for the fans worked.

• Subscriber

You do get matches when you try and play counter or try and see a match out with contain but the other side molest you so much anyway that you could change to attacking and not change the risk of conceding a goal. 

• Subscriber

Those friendlies against Frickley and Stalybridge are great until you disastrously blow one xD

I'll put up a proper post in this when I can be arsed. My blueprint if you like.

On 2017-5-24 at 9:41 PM, Cannabis said:

Backroom Staff:

Before you even begin the season you need to have a look at what backroom staff you have and what their duties are. It’s pointless having an attacking coach teaching defensive drills and if you have got the right coach in the right area it’s also pointless if he’s not very good at what he’s teaching. The graphics that are in the ‘Staff’ section of the game tell you how good your staff compare to the rest of the league and I always strive to have the best.

When searching for staff select the attribute you’d like them to train (i.e. – Defending) and select ‘20’ before working your way back. I’d say that anyone 16 and above is acceptable for a Premier League side but most of the time you can prize people away from their clubs who are in the 19’s and 20’s. Even though it might sound daft ripping out the backroom staff it helps in the long-run as these people become the spine of your club.

The same goes for your scouts too, it’s pointless sending out a scout who’s got a rating of 6 for judging someone’s ability, I’d always look for 16 and above but as with the rest of the staff you can usually find people in the 19’s and 20’s.

Morale:

Morale is massive in Football Manager. Even if you’re managing Celtic and moral is abysmal you’ll probably struggle so do what you can to keep the lads happy regardless of whether you’re comfortable doing it. It’s usually better to grit your teeth and pander your players than act like a dictator. I always try to speak calmly when speaking face to face and in the press (which I will cover later), also if someone’s had a game tell them about it, you’ll find that they keep up their form better if they know that it’s impressing you.

Pre-season friendlies are also overlooked when the topic of morale comes up. After I’ve been through the summer I always like to play against someone that I know I will beat in order to boost morale if it’s not ‘Superb’. For example if I was managing Barcelona, I’d arrange one against Wrexham so that we could thump them 8-0 and celebrate – the same goes for tournaments because regardless of the opposition you can praise the lads for winning a competition and morale usually shoots up.

Team-Talks:

I try and flutter between ‘Assertive’ and ‘Passionate’ when doing team-talks. You should also try and vary your answers as saying the same phrase over and over means that the players don’t react or even worse do the opposite of what you are telling them. I’ve found that having a good tactical assistant can also mean that you can ‘cheat’ your team-talks, before you pick what you want to say your assistant will tell you what he thinks and copying this usually works a treat if he knows what he’s doing.

Aggressive team-talks are fantastic but have to be used sparingly. If you bollock the lads week in and week out you’ll drive a wedge in the dressing room and will find that you do more damage than good, however if you use them once every ten games or so you’ll find that the lads come out a brand new team and turn things around.

Talking to the Press:

I always talk to the press; never send your assistant because he can come out with bollocks that makes your upcoming game even harder. Always respect the opposition because I’ve rarely come out on top when having a spat with another manager/team regardless of who they are. Any questions that you don’t want to answer can simply be responded to with ‘No comment’ and sometimes I’ve gone through a whole press conference without a single comment as I didn’t like the questions being put to me. As daft as it sounds nobody will bat an eye-lid about you being so short with the journalists, you’ll just keep things neutral.

Also, try to follow in Mourinho’s footsteps in the sense that you are always the underdog. Even if you are Manchester City and you’re playing Sunderland make out that the game will be tough and that you will have to be at your very best to win, if you go all out saying that you will win with your eyes closed there’s a good chance your team will become complacent and throw the game.

Beating the opposition:

Always look at the reports sent to you by your staff about the upcoming opposition. The stats usually give away key areas that you can exploit, for example Aston Villa could have a right-back who is the best in the league so it’d be wise to avoid him or Chelsea could have scored 10 out of their last 12 goals with through balls so you’ll want to put more men into the middle.

Going into games blind is never really a good move, always have a quick glance at the opposition and if you really want to go in depth look at their last few games. For example with Norwich I couldn’t find any flaws looking at their report but after watching some of their games found that their left-back was always caught out of position. Again, the more you put into the game the more you will get out.

That’s just some of the things that I can think of but there’s hundreds more. It might be an idea for people to ask specific questions so that we can all give our advice :).

Cannabis has nailed it, and he's nailed it in the right order too.

I'm probably on a 'right fit right club' save but i've found this game the easiest to acclimatise too since fm2012 when i predominately relied on the spider diagram and coaching staff.

I'd add with team talks on fm '16 when I was suffering bad at Bristol City in the first half of the season I went to a calm approach as a team talk to assertive with individuals before games and assertive at half time with passionate talks to those that weren't effective and that has done me wonders since.

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Aaroncpfc said:

Cannabis has nailed it, and he's nailed it in the right order too.

I'm probably on a 'right fit right club' save but i've found this game the easiest to acclimatise too since fm2012 when i predominately relied on the spider diagram and coaching staff.

I'd add with team talks on fm '16 when I was suffering bad at Bristol City in the first half of the season I went to a calm approach as a team talk to assertive with individuals before games and assertive at half time with passionate talks to those that weren't effective and that has done me wonders since.

Same for me, this is the first version I've properly got into since FM 2012. Tried to get into other versions but something always seemed off about them whether it be the new weird training that I could never get used to or dodgy match engines that required a certain tactical approach to exploit which I don't like. Always went back to FM12 until this one.

• Subscriber

I could totally imagine that with some of our defending xD

I've just come across one of my bug bears. I've been questioned post-match about my failure to substitute Craig Dawson following his sub-par performance. I'm given options of either trying to claim he played well (4.6 rating) or telling the fans to shut up moaning. Why have I got no option to say there is absolutely nothing to gain by throwing on a centre half for another centre half when I'm 3-1 down? 

• Subscriber

The worst thing I've seen is when I told my players in a pre season meeting the target was to finish in the top half or something, as we discussed the end of last season. They decided that now those aims weren't ambitious enough so it gave me two options, tell them to stop whinging or to alter the season expectations to challenging for the title. Obviously I went for the latter, and then they all start crying about how now I'm being unrealistic. Fuck sake. 

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

The worst thing I've seen is when I told my players in a pre season meeting the target was to finish in the top half or something, as we discussed the end of last season. They decided that now those aims weren't ambitious enough so it gave me two options, tell them to stop whinging or to alter the season expectations to challenging for the title. Obviously I went for the latter, and then they all start crying about how now I'm being unrealistic. Fuck sake. 

yeah I hate that as well. Happens far too often and doesn't seem any conceivable way to prevent it. 

• Subscriber
6 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Can't be arsed with this what so ever. You can't win most of the time.

• The topic was unpinned
  • The topic was pinned

Archived