talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Everton Discussion

football forum

• 1 month later...
  • Subscriber
On 31/01/2023 at 20:25, RandoEFC said:

Imagine being such a shite football club and board that you lied about the CEO being put in a headlock to make fans look like thugs ahead of a peaceful protest against you and everyone's forgotten about it within two weeks because there's been so much more ridiculous shite already.

Yet we'll still be seeing Talksport clips doing the rounds on social media tomorrow acting bemused at Everton fans protesting against the board and supporters of other clubs going "well why don't you just support the team harder" and telling us how to support the club as a whole whilst ignoring the fact that even in the midst of all this, fans are turning up to Goodison Park two hours early to welcome the team bus.

The negligence around this transfer window has been absolutely criminal. Just what the fuck were the scouting and recruitment teams doing when it was evident we'd be entering January in a dogfight. There should have been players through the door on January 1st. There should have been deals lined up and ready to go the second the Gordon money hit our bank account. Instead we're going to end the biggest "make or break" transfer window in the club's modern history with a weaker squad than we started it.

This lunatic owner, the senile idiot who sold the club to him and his enablers in the boardroom are killing/have killed this football club.

Just remembering the state of things at the end of January and our failure to bring in a forward.

Calvert-Lewin played against Arsenal and helped us win 1-0 although he didn't score. Hasn't set foot on a football pitch since.

Maupay still hasn't scored since October and Simms has just the one goal at Chelsea which earned us a point.

The fact that we have a fighting chance of staying up is a credit to Sean Dyche but we all bemoaned the lack of signings in January and the lack of a goalscorer is hurting us badly. Don't forget the owner said on camera "we'll get a striker" in January and that the Everton board haven't been to a home game since January either.

The run of reasonable results from a difficult run of fixtures on the pitch, along with a level headed manager with a calm demeanour, makes it easy to forget what a shambles the club has been allowed to become.

• Subscriber

He's a very decent talent but also very raw. I wouldn't say he's been incredible this season but you can see the potential. One we'll certainly have to cash in on if we go down but if we stay up he's not really done enough to justify a move.

https://www.spotrac.com/epl/everton-fc/yearly/cap/

in the event of relegation there are a fair few contracts to shed.

GK: Pickford will be in demand and could get 30-35m back as well as shave off 100k/w or 6.2m a year on salary.

DEF: Tarkowski will have suitors and if Everton can find a buyer for sick note Mina that will clear off 12m on contracts and probably bring in 20-25m.  Im not sure if Coady is owned or not but it may be worth keeping him to help along Godfrey and that youngster at PSV.

Coleman time to retire 

MF: Onana, Dacoure, Gueye, Iwobi can clear off 20-25m in committed payroll and bring in solid return Onana can get 30m and Iwobi 20-30m.

keep McNeal, Garner, Davis and Gray to build off.

FWD: sell maupay and keep DCL to rebuild his career, Simms as a modest championship back up is sufficient

• Subscriber

I'd imagine Pickford would move to a Premier League side.

Coleman has actually been our most consistent full back this season and would be fine in the Championship as cover for Patterson who I don't think would get snapped up. I'd prefer to see us invest in a left back even if we go down because Mykolenko is poor.

Mina will leave this summer as he's out of contract which will do the wage bill no harm. Tarkowski may or may not get a move back to another Premier League side. I imagine Keane, Godfrey and Holgate would stay. Branthwaite might get a permanent move to PSV. Coady is available on a free in the summer. I don't think Dyche massively fancies him but I can see us signing him permanently if we go down as I don't imagine he'll be flooded with offers from the top flight.

Gueye is under contract for another year and I can't see anyone wanting to take him off our hands on his wage. Onana probably moves on. Doucoure is 30 now and I'm not convinced he'd get a move back to the Premier League. Iwobi probably moves on, possibly abroad. Davies is out of contract this summer, he should certainly move on if we stay up but could be worth renewing if we go down. Garner probably stays for at least a season if we drop.

McNeil might get snapped up by someone if we're relegated but I imagine Gray and Townsend if he ever gets fit again are stuck with us. Simms will stay or be loaned out depending on incomings. Maupay is supposedly moving to Salernitana in Italy this summer regardless of our division. Calvert-Lewin would be a huge gamble for anyone to invest in given his recent injury record so his only option is probably to stay and rebuild his fitness with us at least for a season.

We're not down yet though so let's see what happens. On the bright side, I don't think our squad gets picked apart in the event that we do go down so if it comes to that, we should be able to hit the ground running.

• 1 month later...
  • Subscriber

A lot of talk that Moshiri is close to completing the sale of the club. I really fucking hope it's true. 777 Partners are the interested party that were named yesterday, I don't know much about them but I like to think that they can't be worse than what we've had. First order of business for any new owner is to get rid of Bill Kenwright as Chairman and put their own board in place.

• Administrator
On 18/05/2023 at 11:16, RandoEFC said:

A lot of talk that Moshiri is close to completing the sale of the club. I really fucking hope it's true. 777 Partners are the interested party that were named yesterday, I don't know much about them but I like to think that they can't be worse than what we've had. First order of business for any new owner is to get rid of Bill Kenwright as Chairman and put their own board in place.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65674665

Everton have reached an exclusivity agreement with New York-based company MSP Sports Capital for investment in the club, BBC Sport understands.

Sources have said the deal is not yet done but talks are progressing between the two parties over future funding.

MSP look to have jumped ahead of 777 Partners, who have been in talks over a takeover from owner Farhad Moshiri.

Everton are currently two points above the Premier League's relegation zone with one game remaining this season.

MSP are believed to be looking for a 25% stake with a preferential share structure, not equity in the club, so would be paid back in interest.

777 have had access to the 'data room' (financial accounts), but have not been prepared to pay a 'significant' price as they have looked at the debt on the balance sheet - which stood at £141.7m in the latest accounts.

In February, Moshiri told the fans' advisory board the club was "not for sale" but he had been talking to "top investors of real quality".

The club requires funding for their new stadium, which is being built on Bramley Moore Dock, after costs increased from £500m originally to about £760m.

British-Iranian business Moshiri has invested over £750m of his own money since 2016, but some supporters are deeply unhappy about his ownership of the club.

Toffees fans have held protests before some home games this season and have called for Moshiri and the board to leave the club.

It is understood MSP will likely expect representation in the boardroom if they do complete their minority investment in the club.

An exclusivity agreement is described as a document in which a prospective buyer and seller agree to deal solely with each other in anticipation of an exchange of contracts by the end of a fixed period of time.

In this case, it protects MSP from being outbid by another party but it does not offer full protection from that happening outside of the specified time period.

MSP Sports Capital describe themselves as investors in sports teams, leagues and businesses that 'pursue ambitious, challenging tasks'.

Their current portfolio includes European clubs such as Brondby in Denmark, Augsburg in Germany and Estoril of Portugal.

Their chairman, Iranian-American billionaire Jahm Najafi, is the vice-chairman of McLaren and also a minority owner of NBA team Phoenix Suns.

He attended the defeat by Southampton in January at Goodison Park and his net worth was valued at £2.9bn by the Paddock Magazine in 2021.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

In the first transfer news of the summer, today was the deadline for Everton to trigger the £4.5m buy option for Conor Coady. The club released a statement today thanking him (and Ruben Vinagre lol) for their contributions on and off the pitch, so it seems like he won't be signing.

I am a bit disappointed because he's been a great character and leader by all accounts but it also makes sense. He is much better in a back three than a back four and Sean Dyche is likely to prefer the latter as he starts to put his own team together. £4.5m would have been a decent fee for a player of his calibre but we probably don't have a penny to waste this summer.

Good luck to him.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Most business so far revolving around trying to get the wage budget down.

Coady wasn't signed because the £4.5m was deemed reasonable but the £60k weekly wage was too much for someone Dyche didn't have pegged as a weekly starter.

Mina wasn't offered a new deal. £100k a week too much for a good defender but one that averaged just under 20 games a season over five years due to injuries.

Begovic wasn't offered a new deal. A very well-rated second goalkeeper but again, on £40k a week or something and not reflected value for his role.

Townsend has also been released after completing his recovery from injury. He was on £48k a week reportedly.

Coleman, Lonergan and Davies have all been offered new deals. Davies is around 4th choice in the holding midfield role behind Onana, Gueye and Garner. He's emergency cover really and he isn't seen as a potential starting player but on £20k or so a week, the club see him as decent value to bolster squad numbers. He wants first team football and has interest from Scotland and the Championship apparently. If he leaves, Everton will have to either replace him or use a young player like Lewis Warrington to fill the bench when really they need to be out on loan at this stage of their careers. Hopefully Davies sticks around for another season just as a backup as we have enough gaps to fill already.

2 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Most business so far revolving around trying to get the wage budget down.

Coady wasn't signed because the £4.5m was deemed reasonable but the £60k weekly wage was too much for someone Dyche didn't have pegged as a weekly starter.

Mina wasn't offered a new deal. £100k a week too much for a good defender but one that averaged just under 20 games a season over five years due to injuries.

Begovic wasn't offered a new deal. A very well-rated second goalkeeper but again, on £40k a week or something and not reflected value for his role.

Townsend has also been released after completing his recovery from injury. He was on £48k a week reportedly.

Coleman, Lonergan and Davies have all been offered new deals. Davies is around 4th choice in the holding midfield role behind Onana, Gueye and Garner. He's emergency cover really and he isn't seen as a potential starting player but on £20k or so a week, the club see him as decent value to bolster squad numbers. He wants first team football and has interest from Scotland and the Championship apparently. If he leaves, Everton will have to either replace him or use a young player like Lewis Warrington to fill the bench when really they need to be out on loan at this stage of their careers. Hopefully Davies sticks around for another season just as a backup as we have enough gaps to fill already.

@MUFC

• Subscriber

We're now getting sued by Carlo Ancelotti's lawyers because of something to do with "general commercial contracts and agreements". No idea whether that's a big deal or not. I worried when I saw the headline that it was going to say we owed him and/or his backroom team a bunch of money for wages or something.

Regardless, more evidence of malpractice and a lack of professional competence from the people running the football club. Moshiri will have deservedly lost hundreds of millions by the time he disassociates himself from Everton. I think it'll be a minor miracle if we get through this phase in our history without dealing with some sort of points penalty or transfer ban or something.

It's one thing after another. There's already talk of us needing to cash in on Onana this summer. I just don't understand how much longer it can continue. Two summers ago we only spent £1.5m in the transfer window. Then we sold Digne and Rodriguez to fund the Mykolenko and Patterson signings. Last summer we had to sell Richarlison for £60m and still had to do structured deals to be able to bring in McNeil, Onana and Maupay. In January, we sold Gordon for £40m and didn't even make a loan signing. We also got the £30m for Moise Kean off Juventus at some point this season. All the while they've slowly chipped away at what was a bloated wage bill. This now must be because Moshiri has had his assets frozen because he's been sanctioned and we have no money rather than it being about FFP. I know there was Covid but if we were able to blag our way past the profit and sustainability rules 2-3 years ago when our spending was in a much worse position, I don't see how we can be in more trouble for it now in light of how we've behaved in the transfer market.

I suspect this Ancelotti thing probably isn't significant financially in the grand scheme of things but it's still bad headlines and presumably further money lost by the club because of what sounds like breach of contract. Unprofessional and incompetent, and it'll be the fans who end up shouldering the consequences when they're eventually supporting a Championship club.

• Subscriber

Some reports said 48 hours for Kenwright so today's the day.

Other reports said he is only staying until at least one new director is appointed because you legally have to have at least one board member at all times as a limited company, so if that's true we might have to wait a bit longer.

Listening to The Bobble the other day about how the "Liverpool branch" (the CEO, Director of Football, etc.) and the "London branch" (Moshiri and Kenwright) have been so disjointed over the past few years was an eye-opener but not surprising. They've made Everton a laughing stock in footballing circles.

Incoming are MSP (who requested a complete clean slate at boardroom level) and two local business men and Evertonians whose names I forget off the top of my head. We'll see how they do but you have to imagine they can't be any worse.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

MSP requested a clean sweep of the board as a part of their investment in the club. Maybe Moshiri has managed to persuade them to keep Kenwright for a year or something. Either way, the old goat isn't long for the boardroom and with these new appointments I don't think his role will be anything more than ceremonial while he remains. He still should have been gone years ago but I'll try not to get wound up about him staying longer (until the inevitable reports about him interfering with transfers and day-to-day running start leaking out again).

I lol'd when I saw this. This guy hasn't been an owner of the club for years, and in his time as Chairman he's overseen a drastic reduction in the stature of one of the country's biggest clubs and effectively killed the ambitions of even the most diehard Evertonians. And they still can't get rid of him now that even the guy he sold the club to isn't even majority shareholder!

On the one hand, I fear for the mental health of the sound Evertonians I know. On the other hand, it's pretty enjoyable knowing that a clown gets to keep running the circus. The guy's overseen such a long and bleak period of the club's history that was only ever really decent due to David Moyes being able to work wonders on a modest budget... and otherwise has been a really shit time for Everton.

For the city's sake, I hope Everton can be rid of him soon. For Liverpool's sake, I hope he spends the rest of his lifetime making idiotic decisions that piss Everton fans off. It's a very conflicting place to be Everton have put me in.

6 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I lol'd when I saw this. This guy hasn't been an owner of the club for years, and in his time as Chairman he's overseen a drastic reduction in the stature of one of the country's biggest clubs and effectively killed the ambitions of even the most diehard Evertonians. And they still can't get rid of him now that even the guy he sold the club to isn't even majority shareholder!

On the one hand, I fear for the mental health of the sound Evertonians I know. On the other hand, it's pretty enjoyable knowing that a clown gets to keep running the circus. The guy's overseen such a long and bleak period of the club's history that was only ever really decent due to David Moyes being able to work wonders on a modest budget... and otherwise has been a really shit time for Everton.

For the city's sake, I hope Everton can be rid of him soon. For Liverpool's sake, I hope he spends the rest of his lifetime making idiotic decisions that piss Everton fans off. It's a very conflicting place to be Everton have put me in.

Business idea. Everton finish 17th every season until eternity ends.

• Like 1

• Subscriber
On 23/06/2023 at 19:49, Dr. Gonzo said:

Kenwright is a seemingly unflushable turd but I do believe that he's only been kept as an interim and the board has been cleansed of all of his appointments and replaced with the new investors. He'll be gone within the year I expect.

Moshiri is the bigger problem now. It's gone under the radar with the Kenwright headline but he's actually put himself on the board too.

We just have to hope that the incoming MSP guys and the other two local blokes who joined the board last week can be the adults in the room and steer the ship in a less shit direction.