talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Everton Discussion

football forum

Everton are doing well this window, the Lukaku and Barkley money will bring a lot of that expenditure back to them as well. Whether they will do enough to break into that top six, especially with the Europa League added, remains to be seen but I wouldn't object to them getting in.

• Subscriber

Looking at how the squad is taking shape, who do we reckon might be shipped out this summer?

Barkley I'm still unsure about. It's all gone very quiet and looking at the number of attacking players we've brought in, Mirallas signing a new contract and Bolasie to come back as well, it looks more likely that he'll be going. If we end up signing Sigurdsson too that's surely the final nail in the coffin. My gut says he'll end up leaving but not until later in the window.

There hasn't been much chat about McCarthy either who is becoming a bit of a forgotten man which is a shame after how good he was when he signed. With Gueye, Schneiderlin, Klaassen, Davies, Barry, Rooney all potential starters in a midfield three, I think either Besic or McCarthy will be off and I think McCarthy is more likely given how openly frustrated Koeman was with his situation last season. I also believe he'd fetch a fairly decent fee and if he's available for 20m or so that could be quite a swoop for a club like Bournemouth or West Ham. 

I can still see Jagielka moving to Sheffield United and Koeman seems uncertain about Mori but I also wouldn't be surprised to see us hang onto both if we don't sign another central defender.

With Pickford certain to start the season as first choice one of our existing goalkeepers must be off as well. I think we'd prefer to keep Robles though there was a rumour he rejected a new contract so he might be off in which case we could see Stekelenburg stay as a backup.

Barkley will go, I doubt we'd be pursuing Sigurdsson if we were certain Ross was staying. 

One of Besic and McCarthy will go as well, I'd prefer it to be McCarthy because he's just not good enough. Besic probably isn't either but with injuries, I'd give him one last go.

• Administrator
On 07/07/2017 at 5:13 PM, Cure said:

Everton have been looking very shrewd so far this window. A plethora of young home-grown players are coming through the ranks, strong offerings in the likes of Idrissa Gueye and Kevin Mirallas already provide a strong backbone for the team. The way they're going the only way is up for them. I could see Everton in the Champions League in a few seasons time if they keep this up.

Apart from Sandro for £5m (approx), I wouldn't say they've been shrewd. Just been a bit more flexible and forthcoming with their money now. 

On 08/07/2017 at 0:12 PM, LFCMadLad said:

Me in Egypt ....

IMG_2198.JPG

why do you have an Everton towel? Secret supporter :ph34r:?

9 minutes ago, Stan said:

Apart from Sandro for £5m (approx), I wouldn't say they've been shrewd. Just been a bit more flexible and forthcoming with their money now. 

why do you have an Everton towel? Secret supporter :ph34r:?

I don't have an Everton towel (as if!) 

I saw it on someone's ground floor balcony and pissed up as you do I did that 🙈

• Subscriber

Squad Numbers Announced for 2017-18 Season

1 Pickford, 2 Schneiderlin, 3 Baines, 4 Keane, 5 Williams, 6 Jagielka, 7 Bolasie, 8 Barkley, 9 Sandro, 10 Rooney, 11 Mirallas, 12 Lennon, 16 McCarthy, 17 Gueye, 18 Barry, 20 Klaassen, 21 Besic, 22 Stekelenburg, 23 Coleman, 25 Funes Mori, 26 Davies, 29 Calvert-Lewin, 30 Holgate, 31 Lookman, 33 Robles, 34 Niasse, 38 Pennington, 43 Kenny, 46 Williams.

Most players have kept their numbers. Joel Robles has been shuffled out to 33 as Pickford takes over the number 1 jersey, doesn't bode well for him. Bolasie has swapped in 14 to take over the number 7 shirt, previously held by Gerard Deulofeu. Klaassen takes number 20, previously belonging to Brian Oviedo and Keane takes over number 4 from Darron Gibson. Sandro replaces Arouna Koné as number 9 and we already knew that Rooney would replace Lukaku as number ten.

The big story, though, is that Oumar Niasse has a squad number this year, albeit number 34. Maybe he'll get a locker too xD.

9 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

DO YOU WANT ME TO CHANGE YOUR CREST AGAIN?! :ph34r:.

On a more serious note, I've just watched the game against Gor Mahia and I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised at what I saw. The first 45 minutes were as you'd expect in the sense that we were rusty and very much in a 50/50 battle with the opposition but in the second half we took charge and got the win. It's great to see Rooney off the mark so soon and with a wonderful goal like that it's shut up the critics - our winning goal through Kieran Dowell wasn't bad either and had it not been for some shambolic refereeing we'd have won 3-1.

No :|

• Subscriber

We're about to kick off against FC Twente - I'm watching on a Dutch stream which looks alright. I thought I was witnessing amazing banter when I saw "Lames McCarthy" on the team sheet - appropriate - but then noticed it was just a mistake when I spotted Jonsoe Kenny.

Anyone interested in the link PM me.

• Subscriber

DCL now receiving treatment. A decent start for us but then it got a bit more even. Lookman, Davies and Keane look sharp. Nobody looking too sluggish apart from arguably McCarthy. Looking forward to seeing Klaassen, Sandro, Rooney later on. 

• Subscriber

0-1, Mirallas with a cracking finish after cutting inside. If he can get 7-8 of them in the league this season I'll be happy. His future looked uncertain before but the new contract shows he has the manager's backing, time to push on (again).

A pretty flat first half overall. Looking forward to seeing some others come on for the second half but I hope it doesn't just fizzle out like so many friendlies do when it's just both teams trying to get as many minutes in as many legs as possible.

• Subscriber

I don't know how good that Twente side was or where they're up to in their own pre-season preparations but I've seen more than enough there to continue to fuel my optimism for the new season.

Stekelenburg was largely untroubled but the cameraman did linger on him after the goalmouth scramble early in the second half so he may well have had a dodgy moment there. Kenny was solid, more to come from him I'm sure, linked up well with Lookman and Calvert-Lewin once or twice. Martina replaced him during the second half, didn't have much to do defensively but looks like he enjoys getting forward. Keane impressed me, Williams and Jagielka were also solid while on the pitch, but we weren't put under any pressure. Besic at centre half was interesting and might have something to it, he carried the ball out of defence well a couple of times. Baines is still an intelligent footballer and seems fit, while Connolly had a few decent forays forward when he came on for the second half.

Barry was solid in the first half, McCarthy did nothing wrong but he also didn't do anything to change my opinion that he is now surplus to requirements in our squad. Schneiderlin was probably the most anonymous player after coming on aside from Jags, we were dominant after all of the substitutions in the second half. Gueye looks sharp, got forward more than he usually does and looked to add something to the attack, I believe he hit the post at one point but didn't see a replay to confirm.

Lookman was our most impressive player in the first half, very threatening and skillful, just needs to be more consistent with his end product. Davies had a couple of good moments too and looks in tip-top condition, while Mirallas was frustrating at times early on before scoring a cracking opening goal that should boost his confidence. We looked even more dangerous with our finishing front four though, Klaassen looks a really solid player and showed some good link up play, Dowell scored another great goal and also provided a good cross for Klaassen at one stage, while Lennon also got himself on the scoresheet and looked fit and busy too. It's great to see him on the pitch again after his recent issues, whether or not he goes on to play a significant role in our future.

Calvert-Lewin was a threat in the first half due to his physical attributes, but he still needs to improve his composure in the final third. Hopefully the confidence from scoring a (youth) World Cup winning goal earlier in the summer will boost him a bit. Rooney had a decent performance when he came on, some top class touches here and there, but also lost the ball a couple of times which saw our attacks break down - no major complaints though.