Jump to content
talkfootball365
  • Welcome!

    Tired of Kevins and Karens on Facebook and other social media platforms?

    Our forum is completely focused on football and moderated to keep discussions civil. Sound good? Sign up!

Cardiff City - Where do they need to improve?


Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

In the nicest possible way, probably all over the pitch. 

Unfortunately, this is pretty much the answer. 

The problem though is how can we improve. We can't compete financially with Fulham (who themselves have barely done much better), while Wolves have the ability to sign quality players at 'mate's rates'. We also can't attract higher calibre players compared to others (hence four of our six signings coming from the Championship).

Sacking Warnock is an obvious option, but who can realistically come in who's better and can work within a reasonable budget?

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Danny said:

By thinking long term? Warnock has pedigree in the Championship but one in the Premier League, what would you expect to happen once you win promotion with him in charge other than a likely relegation battle?

Given Cardiff’s personnel and budget, a relegation battle would be on the cards for most managers at that club. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Danny said:

By thinking long term? Warnock has pedigree in the Championship but one in the Premier League, what would you expect to happen once you win promotion with him in charge other than a likely relegation battle?

The topic was primarily about this season but I get your point, to which I ask who would be a realistic option?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Getting loan players is the way to go for clubs like Cardiff City. That until the create a seemingly permanent status in England's top league. It's the way smaller clubs all over Europe do it and Cardiff is no different... What I would say is that a coach that isn't a dinosaur would be the best of starts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Getting loan players is the way to go for clubs like Cardiff City. That until the create a seemingly permanent status in England's top league. It's the way smaller clubs all over Europe do it and Cardiff is no different... What I would say is that a coach that isn't a dinosaur would be the best of starts.

To which I ask, who would be a realistic appointment that would improve us?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I honestly don't think they can do that much more. Their squad probably even now wouldn't be classed as a top six side in the Championship. They completely over-achieved getting here and I actually thought they were very unlucky to lose at the weekend.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

To which I ask, who would be a realistic appointment that would improve us?

I dont know off the top of my head right now but Leeds Utd managed to get the iconic guru Marcelo Bielsa where most would’ve called you a total nutcase before it happened and you had mentioned it. 

There are plenty of coaches out there but I concede that it isn’t easy unless an ambitious project us laid in front of them.

Maybe Mourinho? :ph34r:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Neil Warnock: Cardiff boss expects lowest Premier League points total for survival

By Michael Pearlman

BBC Sport Wales

1 hour ago | Cardiff

Cardiff City boss Neil Warnock believes a record low points total could be enough for Premier League survival.

The lowest number of points to survive to date was 31 in 2010 when 18th-placed Burnley went down with 30 points.

Warnock's Sheffield United went down with 38 points in 2007, while his Bluebirds side currently have just five points from 11 games, yet they are just one point from safety.

"I think the low points will continue until the end of the season," he said.

"With Sheffield United, we went down with 38 points, let me tell you, I would take that now," he continued.

"It does look like the total to survive is going to be low this year, doesn't it?

"Brighton are 12th but they will still be looking over their shoulder. They won't be looking up, they'll be looking down at the bottom three.

"This is the first season like this I think, and we could benefit from that more than anyone. Because we are hanging in there."

Warnock believes the low points totals could end up meaning a host of clubs are involved in a relegation battle, with just three points separating Crystal Palace in 14th and bottom-placed Fulham.

"You can't really predict, but it does seem the bigger teams are pulling away. There aren't many shocks anymore are there?" he told BBC Sports Wales.

"There is a wider margin, but I think any club in the bottom half really (could go down). Any club can quite easily hit a bad run. It's wide open down there.

"I do think there are six teams involved in the relegation battle at the moment and we are probably favorites to finish bottom.

"I think we've just got to take it on board and try and give it our best shot, but if I am honest, I think there will be a lot more nerves in other dressing rooms, clubs with bigger expectations than us.

"We are quite capable of picking up points. Apart from the top five teams, every game is winnable, home and away."

Cardiff entertains Chris Hughton's Brighton on Saturday after a difficult game against Leicester last weekend.

Leicester City beat Cardiff 1-0 on an emotional day as the Foxes returned to action for the first time since the death of their owner Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha and four other people in a helicopter crash.

Warnock says he is glad to put the emotionally draining day behind him.

"It was a strange and difficult week for everybody really. To come away with nothing was a huge disappointment if I am honest," he said.

"But there has been no lull in the mood. The team spirit is great and that's the best chance we've got of surviving, to be honest."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46142241

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 09/11/2018 at 21:06, CaaC - John said:

Neil Warnock: Cardiff boss expects lowest Premier League points total for survival

By Michael Pearlman

BBC Sport Wales

1 hour ago | Cardiff

Cardiff City boss Neil Warnock believes a record low points total could be enough for Premier League survival.

The lowest number of points to survive to date was 31 in 2010 when 18th-placed Burnley went down with 30 points.

Warnock's Sheffield United went down with 38 points in 2007, while his Bluebirds side currently have just five points from 11 games, yet they are just one point from safety.

"I think the low points will continue until the end of the season," he said.

"With Sheffield United, we went down with 38 points, let me tell you, I would take that now," he continued.

"It does look like the total to survive is going to be low this year, doesn't it?

"Brighton are 12th but they will still be looking over their shoulder. They won't be looking up, they'll be looking down at the bottom three.

"This is the first season like this I think, and we could benefit from that more than anyone. Because we are hanging in there."

Warnock believes the low points totals could end up meaning a host of clubs are involved in a relegation battle, with just three points separating Crystal Palace in 14th and bottom-placed Fulham.

"You can't really predict, but it does seem the bigger teams are pulling away. There aren't many shocks anymore are there?" he told BBC Sports Wales.

"There is a wider margin, but I think any club in the bottom half really (could go down). Any club can quite easily hit a bad run. It's wide open down there.

"I do think there are six teams involved in the relegation battle at the moment and we are probably favorites to finish bottom.

"I think we've just got to take it on board and try and give it our best shot, but if I am honest, I think there will be a lot more nerves in other dressing rooms, clubs with bigger expectations than us.

"We are quite capable of picking up points. Apart from the top five teams, every game is winnable, home and away."

Cardiff entertains Chris Hughton's Brighton on Saturday after a difficult game against Leicester last weekend.

Leicester City beat Cardiff 1-0 on an emotional day as the Foxes returned to action for the first time since the death of their owner Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha and four other people in a helicopter crash.

Warnock says he is glad to put the emotionally draining day behind him.

"It was a strange and difficult week for everybody really. To come away with nothing was a huge disappointment if I am honest," he said.

"But there has been no lull in the mood. The team spirit is great and that's the best chance we've got of surviving, to be honest."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46142241

 

I thought Cardiff would finish bottom but I think they could finish 18th. I think there could be a big gap between the bottom 3 and the rest so I agree with him but I still think they will go down

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They're a good novelty to have for a year and usually I hope a newly promoted side stays up so they at least get the chance to see where they can go on their journey in the second season, but with Cardiff I sort of dont because even if they stay up this year I can only see next season being the exact same for them. I do at least hope they make a good fist of this season and don't come bottom.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

football forum
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...