• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool 3-1 Man Utd - Sunday 16th December, 2018

football forum

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Mourinho picking lineups like he did today makes it look like nobody else could come in and do anything better with these players but surely if you bring in a more modern coach you could start with something like this as a first choice eleven and at least guarantee 6th place and use it to build on going forward:

De Gea

Dalot Bailly Lindelof Shaw

Fred Pogba Lingard

Martial Lukaku Rashford

What are they actually trying to achieve? There's no evident strategy at all. Are they hoping to scrape 6th and sort the manager out in the summer? Are they planning to back him in January and keep the faith? Baffling and must be infuriating for the fans. At least most clubs can accept being shite because they have inferior resources or they always have to sell their best players but United's trajectory over the last 6 years has to be one of the biggest displays of flat out ineptitude from the top of the club to the bottom, from Woodward to Moyes to Mourinho to the players jogging around on the pitch putting in nowhere near 100% effort.

5 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Did I not predict this, or did I not predict this? 

Said the moment United appointed Mourinho would only delay the inevitable. 

Did anybody really see it lasting longer than three years? The general consensus I remember is that regardless of the trophies the style of football has a three year life shelf.

1 minute ago, RandoEFC said:

Mourinho picking lineups like he did today makes it look like nobody else could come in and do anything better with these players but surely if you bring in a more modern coach you could start with something like this as a first choice eleven and at least guarantee 6th place and use it to build on going forward:

De Gea

Dalot Bailly Lindelof Shaw

Fred Pogba Lingard

Martial Lukaku Rashford

What are they actually trying to achieve? There's no evident strategy at all. Are they hoping to scrape 6th and sort the manager out in the summer? Are they planning to back him in January and keep the faith? Baffling and must be infuriating for the fans. At least most clubs can accept being shite because they have inferior resources or they always have to sell their best players but United's trajectory over the last 6 years has to be one of the biggest displays of flat out ineptitude from the top of the club to the bottom, from Woodward to Moyes to Mourinho to the players jogging around on the pitch putting in nowhere near 100% effort.

There were so many times during the match where I thought “they could probably win this if they weren’t so fucking deep” - yeah Fellaini helped their midfield out in the second half... but they conceded the midfield to us and made it far too easy to defend because their attackers were largely isolated.

Woodward has to go. He’s a massive failure and they clearly have no real long term plan and that’s his job. I don’t think Mourinho is suddenly bad overnight, but I don’t think he’s the man to build a side up for the long term. He’s all about organisation, discipline, and taking an already great team to the next level. United need to build.

I hope they keep both for a few more years.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, The Palace Fan said:

Did anybody really see it lasting longer than three years? The general consensus I remember is that regardless of the trophies the style of football has a three year life shelf.

@Cicero's tick list in the other thread alludes to this perfectly. Mourinho goes stale after first season.

• The title was changed to Liverpool 3-1 Man Utd - Sunday 16th December, 2018
  • Subscriber

Hats off to Liverpool:ay:already had my laddie on the phone yelling "LIVERPOOLLIVERPOOLLIVERPOOL....the only way I could think of keeping his quiet for a few seconds was saying "City will win the league this year with either Spurs or Chelsea as runner-up" his reply "err? Fuck off you old fart LIVERPOOLLIVERPOOLLIVERPOOL..." :coffee:

Just now, LFCMike said:

They're probably the worst side to come to Anfield this season. 36 shots is something you'd expect against relegation battlers or a lower division side

We see promoted sides show more bravery. It was truly cowardly.

Last season it fucked us and I hated it. This year we’re a stronger side and I loved it.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Woodward has to go. He’s a massive failure and they clearly have no real long term plan and that’s his job

I don't know. The owners who employ him aren't football fans and see his job as a financial management role. He was promoted from a marketing position and given how United's sponsorship and stock market price have continued to grow on his watch I imagine the owners won't see him as a failure at all. This is why I'm somewhat sympathetic to United fans in this situation despite them having it easy for far longer than their fair share. The club basically isn't even trying to be a good football team anymore as they've been franchised and turned into what Inverted correctly describes as 

9 minutes ago, Inverted said:

An overgrown marketing stunt.

1 minute ago, RandoEFC said:

I don't know. The owners who employ him aren't football fans and see his job as a financial management role. He was promoted from a marketing position and given how United's sponsorship and stock market price have continued to grow on his watch I imagine the owners won't see him as a failure at all. This is why I'm somewhat sympathetic to United fans in this situation despite them having it easy for far longer than their fair share. The club basically isn't even trying to be a good football team anymore as they've been franchised and turned into what Inverted correctly describes as 

Then the owners have got to go.

I give United a lot of shit, but this is 100% unacceptable for a club of their side. A club of their stature can’t be lacking in ambition.

Man utd are making similar mistakes they did when busby left. The only difference is the way football is set up financially they will finish mid table at worst. If it was the way it was in the 70s they would be in danger of getting relegated

9 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

7 minutes ago, Stan said:

@Cicero's tick list in the other thread alludes to this perfectly. Mourinho goes stale after first season.

6 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

It’s eerie how accurate it is tbh. You can go down the list and each step happens in order.

We've endured two stints with him. It's a cycle. 

And @The Palace Fan, believe it or not there were United fans who I've argued with that naively thought he would magically change his ways. 

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Then the owners have got to go.

I give United a lot of shit, but this is 100% unacceptable for a club of their side. A club of their stature can’t be lacking in ambition.

Nah fuck that keep them there.  To be fair they had the same owners when fergie was there and still dominated

• Subscriber

As soon as I saw the line up by Jose then I knew he had lost the plot in a big match like this, Martial, Mata and even Pogba on the bench ffs, then replacing Dalot with bloody Fellaini, Jose has to go, in the back of his mind he must be thinking "Winning the Euro Champions Cup will get us in Europe just like me winning the EUROPA Cup last time..." pigs can fly Jose so why don't you bloody fly off!!

• Subscriber

Yep :ay:

Former Manchester United captain Roy Keane on Sky Sports: "Paul Pogba's days are numbered, they won't sell him in January but he'll move on. It's no big deal, he's left United before.

"If you came down from the moon today and knew nothing about football you'd say United are an average Premier League side. Nothing more. They are Manchester United of the 1980s, they can be a decent cup team."

3 minutes ago, CaaC - John said:

Yep :ay:

Former Manchester United captain Roy Keane on Sky Sports: "Paul Pogba's days are numbered, they won't sell him in January but he'll move on. It's no big deal, he's left United before.

"If you came down from the moon today and knew nothing about football you'd say United are an average Premier League side. Nothing more. They are Manchester United of the 1980s, they can be a decent cup team."

If you came down from the moon and knew nothing about football and watched that match you’d probably say “what the fuck are they doing” tbh.

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

If you came down from the moon and knew nothing about football and watched that match you’d probably say “what the fuck are they doing” tbh.

Never saw the match as I was busy doing other things but kept check via the BBC Web Page and in here but from what I heard we were utter shite, even my son when he landed back on planet earth from the win said "Pops, that's the worse team I have seen playing my Liverpool, they had no guts or fire in their bellies and sometimes looked just plain fucking scared".

3 minutes ago, CaaC - John said:

Never saw the match as I was busy doing other things but kept check via the BBC Web Page and in here but from what I heard we were utter shite, even my son when he landed back on planet earth from the win said "Pops, that's the worse team I have seen playing my Liverpool, they had no guts or fire in their bellies and sometimes looked just plain fucking scared".

Yeah they looked like deers in the headlights until the Alisson mistake gave them a bit of confidence. They absolutely gave us the entire midfield in that first half, Fellaini shored things up a bit in the midfield for you in the second half. But nowhere near enough, you were second best throughout tonight. Setting up so incredibly deep.

10 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yeah they looked like deers in the headlights until the Alisson mistake gave them a bit of confidence. They absolutely gave us the entire midfield in that first half, Fellaini shored things up a bit in the midfield for you in the second half. But nowhere near enough, you were second best throughout tonight. Setting up so incredibly deep.

Liverpool were lucky though

Lucky man utd hired mourinho :D

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

We (United) have 5 easy games so some of the media mob reckon before we face Spurs at Wembley...

Cardiff v United

United v Huddersfield

United v Bournemouth

Newcastle v United

United v Reading FA Cup

I could not as a United fan put my hand on my heart and say we should win one of those games, the way Jose is fucking the team around with all the crazy team lineups is getting beyond a bloody joke, after those 4 games we could be staring relegation in the face and yet Jose has come out saying this crap...

18:12

'We can still finish fourth'  

Liverpool 3-1 Man Utd

Manchester United

Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho on Sky Sports asked if he can "fix" their current situation: "What do you mean by fix? Win the title? Of course not.

"We can still finish fourth. It's not easy. For sure we are going to finish in the top six. Best we can get is fourth. Now we look to the fifth and then later the fourth."

"Are the players playing for you?"

"Are you calling the players dishonest? I believe they are honest. You believe they are dishonest. Players give maximum every day, every minute. If the players don't do the maximum then you call them dishonest.

"The players on the pitch gave everything. We can't compare the intensity and physicality of Liverpool. In spite of that were in the game until we conceded the third goal."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/45119407/page/2

• The topic was unpinned

Archived