Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
Stan

2019/20 Champions League - Qualifying Rounds

What a joke penalty given for Brugge... Barely enough contact for a penalty and Brugge player was offside before the "foul". VAR reviews it but lets the penalty decision stand. Fuck off.

0-1 HT. LASK have been a better team so far but Brugge lead thanks to a penalty gifted to them. Can't understand how it's possible for VAR to ignore the offside leading to the goal despite having all the technology - and that's in the last round of CL playoffs. Ridiculous. 

Also haven't seen players go down as easily as Brugge players today in a long time. 

1 hour ago, nudge said:

What a joke penalty given for Brugge... Barely enough contact for a penalty and Brugge player was offside before the "foul". VAR reviews it but lets the penalty decision stand. Fuck off.

Yes, that was a very soft penalty awarded there. Klauss has played very well for LASK tonight, hopefully he can get the equaliser in the last 10 minutes.

@nudge - I noticed you have started to watch LASK's results. Any particular reasoning? 

1 minute ago, Michael said:

Yes, that was a very soft penalty awarded there. Klauss has played very well for LASK tonight, hopefully he can get the equaliser in the last 10 minutes.

Very soft penalty and an offside.

Also if that was a foul then LASK should have been given a penalty now as well.

ECb64J3W4AAO2ip.jpg

2 minutes ago, Eco said:

@nudge - I noticed you have started to watch LASK's results. Any particular reasoning? 

I follow Austrian football and want them to do well when it comes to Europe too. Well all of them bar Red Bull.

1 minute ago, nudge said:

Very soft penalty and an offside.

Also if that was a foul then LASK should have been given a penalty now as well.

ECb64J3W4AAO2ip.jpg

Yes, what's the point of VAR if mistakes like that are going to be allowed to stand. LASK have played well in the 2nd half, the least they deserve is an equaliser.

6 minutes ago, nudge said:

I follow Austrian football and want them to do well when it comes to Europe too. Well all of them bar Red Bull.

Alright - next lead up questions seems obvious. Why Austria? 

4 minutes ago, Michael said:

Yes, what's the point of VAR if mistakes like that are going to be allowed to stand. LASK have played well in the 2nd half, the least they deserve is an equaliser.

This. 

Not sure how this happens with VAR. 

Just now, Eco said:

Alright - next lead up questions seems obvious. Why Austria? 

Numerous reasons. I got into it about 15 years ago thanks to an Austrian friend who was an Austria Salzburg fan (and that's how my hatred towards Red Bull started); I generally follow leagues of German-speaking countries as a lot of their players join German Bundesliga clubs at some point; I have quite a few Austrian friends in general.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Michael said:

What's most annoying is that it might just cost them a CL spot too. Instead of having a goalless draw at home they will now have to go to Belgium for the second leg with a loss and one goal deficit. 

For a small club that has been playing in the 3rd Austrian division just 5 years ago it's probably one of the few chances to qualify for the CL group stages and they're being robbed by incompetent officials using a technology which is supposed to make the game fairer and more just. That's just sad and infuriating. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, nudge said:

What's so funny @Eco? xD 

My mouse. 

Meant to 'like' it, not fucking laugh at it. 

Sorry, it's been 'that' kind of day. :dash3:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Eco said:

My mouse. 

Meant to 'like' it, not fucking laugh at it. 

Sorry, it's been 'that' kind of day. :dash3:

I do that a lot myself... blame the mouse for things I mean

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, nudge said:

What's most annoying is that it might just cost them a CL spot too. Instead of having a goalless draw at home they will now have to go to Belgium for the second leg with a loss and one goal deficit. 

For a small club that has been playing in the 3rd Austrian division just 5 years ago it's probably one of the few chances to qualify for the CL group stages and they're being robbed by incompetent officials using a technology which is supposed to make the game fairer and more just. That's just sad and infuriating. 

Yes, there's a huge difference drawing 0-0 at home compared to losing 0-1 at home in a two legged CL qualifying tie. LASK were definitely robbed by terrible officiating. The officials even had the luxury of being able to see the replay on VAR, so it's beyond me how they got that call wrong and stood by it. It might have just cost LASK millions and millons of Euros in CL revenue.

I hope that LASK are able to turn it around in the second leg, but I doubt that they can after today's harsh result. Anything is possible though I suppose, I just can't see it though, as I expect Brugge to play much better at home.

6 minutes ago, Michael said:

Yes, there's a huge difference drawing 0-0 at home compared to losing 0-1 at home in a two legged CL qualifying tie. LASK were definitely robbed by terrible officiating. The officials even had the luxury of being able to see the replay on VAR, so it's beyond me how they got that call wrong and stood by it. It might have just cost LASK millions and millons of Euros in CL revenue.

I hope that LASK are able to turn it around in the second leg, but I doubt that they can after today's harsh result. Anything is possible though I suppose, I just can't see it though, as I expect Brugge to play much better at home.

Yeah I also doubt LASK can get a win at Brugge and progress to the group stages. Especially since Percy Tau will be back from his suspension as well. But it's football so you never know... 

• Upvote 1

Ajax played a really bad game against Apoel, a lot of the big players still seem to be off form and the midfield is missing something to break the play up and distribute the ball to the attackers.