talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Medical & Health issues

football forum

4 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Ended up in hospital last week, which was fun.

I had a sebaceous cyst/limpoma/abscess (I lost track of what it was as it seemed to change all the time) in my back for a few years and put myself on the waiting list last year (great timing, considering we're in a pandemic and all). All was fine until a couple of weeks ago when the surrounding area started to turn red and hot, while I started to cough, lose my appetite a bit and generally feel a bit crap.

Went to the GP on the 7th and I was given antibiotics by the nurse, which did fuck all. A week later on the 14th, I saw a doctor and he wanted me to have it removed immediately due to the potential of the infection turning septic. As a result, I had a lovely trip to A&E, followed by blood tests, general anaesthetic to get it removed and about 10 or so 100ml antibiotic IV drips in the time I was there. I also hate needles and the like, which made it even more fun. I got discharged on the 18th and now feel much better, though have a nice wound on my back (picture available if anyone wants to see it).

That sounds fucking awful. Glad to hear you're feeling a bit better. Shit about the wound, though... but its probably infinitely better than having sepsis.

• Subscriber
8 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Forgot to say, glad you are ok buddy, I have been in the hospital a few times in my life and I have so many scars on my body from stitches that I look like a snakes & ladders board. O.o

• Wow 1

7 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

That sounds fucking awful. Glad to hear you're feeling a bit better. Shit about the wound, though... but its probably infinitely better than having sepsis.

3 hours ago, CaaC (John) said:

Forgot to say, glad you are ok buddy, I have been in the hospital a few times in my life and I have so many scars on my body from stitches that I look like a snakes & ladders board. O.o

Cheers both.

The wound should heal but it'll take some time as it's pretty deep. Was told that it'd need daily dressings and packing for at least 1-2 months before they consider doing it once every couple of days etc.

19 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

@Coma  @Tommy    did you ever find you were getting really anxious about doing something that takes literally a couple of minutes like take the bins out?, It's silly really how you can spend ages worrying about something that takes such a short time. When I'm  not feeling anxious I cant understand why I do it but when I'm anxous I will do it again I'm sure. Anxiety is strange 

Yes, when I was at my worst I dreaded a lot of silly things.  It was completely irrational but when your mind is in that state you just can't seem to shake it.  I still hate talking on the phone as it makes me really jittery.  

17 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

I had a sebaceous cyst/limpoma/abscess (I lost track of what it was as it seemed to change all the time) in my back for a few years and put myself on the waiting list last year (great timing, considering we're in a pandemic and all). All was fine until a couple of weeks ago when the surrounding area started to turn red and hot, while I started to cough, lose my appetite a bit and generally feel a bit crap.

Went to the GP on the 7th and I was given antibiotics by the nurse, which did fuck all. A week later on the 14th, I saw a doctor and he wanted me to have it removed immediately due to the potential of the infection turning septic. As a result, I had a lovely trip to A&E, followed by blood tests, general anaesthetic to get it removed and about 10 or so 100ml antibiotic IV drips in the time I was there. I also hate needles and the like, which made it even more fun. I got discharged on the 18th and now feel much better, though have a nice wound on my back (picture available if anyone wants to see it).

There's a show here in the US called Dr. Pimple Popper and they cover the diagnosis and removal of lipomas, cysts, etc.  I can't get over how some people live with these giant lumps on their body for years without having them looked at.  The doctor on that show usually catches and removes those masses before they rupture.  I can't imagine having something like that go septic and/or leach in your insides.  Glad everything turned out OK for you.

• Subscriber
38 minutes ago, Coma said:

There's a show here in the US called Dr. Pimple Popper and they cover the diagnosis and removal of lipomas, cysts, etc.

AAAGGGGG, every time if that show pops up I turn it over quick smart, I can't look at them big lumps and whatnot they make me cringe. O.o

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Coma said:

There's a show here in the US called Dr. Pimple Popper and they cover the diagnosis and removal of lipomas, cysts, etc.  I can't get over how some people live with these giant lumps on their body for years without having them looked at.  The doctor on that show usually catches and removes those masses before they rupture.  I can't imagine having something like that go septic and/or leach in your insides.  Glad everything turned out OK for you.

Cheers.

I have heard and seen bits of it in the UK. Of those I've seen, they are far bigger than mine was (I was told the one they removed from my back was about 10 x 10 centimeters). 

As for why I didn't have it done, I was told a while back that it was mainly just a lump. Nothing nasty or untowards at all with it. As I hate the thought of needles and the like (I'm aware of the irony after last week), I just left it there. I wasn't expecting it to get infected like it did.

Edited by Bluebird Hewitt
  • Upvote 1

• Subscriber
7 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Cheers.

I have heard and seen bits of it in the UK. Of those I've seen, they are far bigger than mine was (I was told the one they removed from my back was about 10 x 10 centimeters). 

As for why I didn't have it done, I was told a while back that it was mainly just a lump. Nothing nasty or untowards at all with it. As I hate the thought of needles and the like (I'm aware of the irony after last week), I just left it there. I wasn't expecting it to get infected like it did.

The wife is petrified of doctors and hospitals and years ago when we lived down South she had a cyst on her back, I wouldn't say it was big but it started to seep and her Doc told her she would have to get it removed, I ended up getting one of the family down from Scotland to chum her to a private clinic and get it removed as she kept telling me to get lost when I told her she had to go.

Her big sis came down and the wife did not tell her to get lost as knowing Pat she would have dragged her there, end of story. xD

• Haha 2

On 25/03/2022 at 01:58, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Ah man, I’ve got a few of those I believe. 4 thst I’ve noticed come up over past few years. Doctors seem to call them different things. They run in the family apparently. One has turned a little red so I’ll keep an eye on it and get myself to the doctor soon after reading this! All the best mate 

1 hour ago, Toinho said:

Ah man, I’ve got a few of those I believe. 4 thst I’ve noticed come up over past few years. Doctors seem to call them different things. They run in the family apparently. One has turned a little red so I’ll keep an eye on it and get myself to the doctor soon after reading this! All the best mate 

Cheers and yes, I'd strongly advise keeping an eye on it. Even check with the doctor now to be sure.

13 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Cheers and yes, I'd strongly advise keeping an eye on it. Even check with the doctor now to be sure.

Yep seeing him Monday. Could be an ingrown hair yet. He’s seen it before and was like nothing going on there. But as you said best to check it out since it’s changed! 

1 hour ago, Toinho said:

Yep seeing him Monday. Could be an ingrown hair yet. He’s seen it before and was like nothing going on there. But as you said best to check it out since it’s changed! 

Yeah it was the same for me. Just a lump that was there and nothing happening really. It was only after it started to turn red and hot around it that things went a bit shit.

• Sad 1

• Subscriber

Male contraceptive pill one step closer after trials in mice prevent 99 per cent of pregnancies

The team behind the drug hope that it will start human clinical trials later this year.

When it was first approved for use in the 1960s, the female birth control pill revolutionised contraception. For those who could take it, it was convenient, affordable and effective.

But in the decades since, creating a male equivalent that is equally successful has proven incredibly difficult, leaving men who want to play their part in a couple’s birth control strategy limited to condoms, which are single-use and prone to failure, or vasectomies, which require surgery and are largely irreversible.

To complicate matters further, most drugs currently undergoing clinical trials target the male sex hormone testosterone and can potentially lead to unpleasant side effects such as depression, weight gain and increased cholesterol levels.

Now, researchers at the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis may have figured out a solution. They have created an oral, non-hormone-based pill that is 99 per cent effective in preventing pregnancies in mice.

“The facts say that men produce 1,500 sperm per heartbeat, but for women there is usually one ovum per cycle. So, to stop this large amount of sperm production we need a really effective method,” said co-author Md Abdullah al Noman, who presented the study at the spring meeting of the American Chemical Society in San Diego.

“So far, the compound that we are reporting in this meeting shows really promising results without any observable side effect in mice.”

The team’s drug, named YCT529, shuts off a protein called the retinoic acid receptor alpha (RAR-α) that binds to vitamin A and plays an important role in cell growth, including sperm formation.

They gave male mice one dose of YCT529 every day for four weeks. They found that it dramatically reduced the sperm counts of the mice and was 99 per cent effective in reducing pregnancies in the test group.

They also found that the mice were able to sire pups after they stopped taking the drug for four to six weeks.

The team hope that human clinical trials will begin on YCT529 later this year but have already started working on a new version of the drug.

“We are trying to make a newer second-generation compound that would be effective in a lower dose,” said Noman. “Sometimes a lower dose could mean higher toxicity, I have to give that caveat, but in most cases a lower dose is better.

“Now we are trying to make a compound that will hit two targets at the same time – retinoic acid receptor alpha and retinoic acid receptor gamma.

“Retinoic acid receptor gamma is also essential for sperm production, so if we could selectively hit these two targets, we hope that we could get the same effect with a lower dose.”

https://www.sciencefocus.com/news/male-contraceptive-pill-one-step-closer-after-trials-in-mice-prevent-99-per-cent-of-pregnancies/

Edited by CaaC (John)
Spacing correction

• 2 weeks later...

Wasn't sure where to stick it so I put it here. 

Anybody order medication online? You know so it gets delivered. 🚚.. Somebody I know normally waiting a week for it that to me is a piss take.

Last time it got ordered waited almost a week go sign of them Medication 💊 showing up phones chemist. They'd forgot to do it

The whole point of delivery's was suppose to make it easier

• Subscriber
20 hours ago, Sean the ginger 1 said:

Anybody order medication online? You know so it gets delivered. 🚚.. Somebody I know normally waiting a week for it that to me is a piss take.

Last time it got ordered waited almost a week go sign of them Medication 💊 showing up phones chemist. They'd forgot to do it

Our local chemist delivers our prescriptions when needed, they have a record of all our prescription times delivery wise and they must have it itemized on a computer, or our surgery and docs automatically issue the prescription to be picked up when they know our medication is due.

All you have to do is go to your local chemist with your prescription and show them and they will fill a form out which you sign and they will deliver your medication when they know your medication is due or your last one is running out. 

23 hours ago, Sean the ginger 1 said:

@Dr. Gonzo will provide you with anything you need.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...