• Sign up free today!

    Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

13 Reasons Why

Recommended Posts

Anybody watched this? Occurred to me in light of the Aaron Lennon thread.

It's about a girl who kills herself and leaves a bunch of tapes behind for her classmates to listen to to understand what role they played in leading her to it. It is based on a book but, to my knowledge, not based on a real life story.

It's quite dark really. Some people have praised it for being "brave" enough to put the discussion out there about teenage mental health problems and suicide. Others have criticised it because in some ways it portrays her actions (suicide and leaving the tapes behind) as her having the last laugh, and argue that it glamorises suicide in this sense.

As a teacher of teenagers I can see both sides of the argument but I would be concerned about vulnerable teenagers watching this and getting ideas, though ultimately you wouldn't expect them to make big decisions based on a show they see on Netflix.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

have wanted to start watching this but not got round to it. everyone at work I've spoken to about it highly recommends it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wrote this in the other thread - Yeah, I watched it all a few weeks back. It's very marmite - I enjoyed it but I know others that hated it. It's quite slow at times, and the issue of mental health can be a difficult one to portray but I think they did a good job with it and you certainly feel some connection with the characters. Certainly worth a watch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The dialogue is corny as fuck and downright cringeworthy in the earlier episodes, but gets better as each episode progresses and some of the acting is very good. I can see both sides to this ethical issue, and in light of all this I hope it does bring the message for parents and staff to get more involved with students, as well as a message towards teenagers not to get too caught up in high school. It's 4 years of your life, it's not the end of the world as you have a whole life ahead of you. Depression is a whole other issue which belongs with parents and school staff getting more involved. 

 

Lots of talk about a second season in the making. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watched the first episode today, and I really liked it. It's intriguing, the acting is good and I loved the soundtrack. Will watch one or two more episodes tonight, and I usually hate binge watching. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Three episodes in and I still like it! But that Bruno Mars looking fellow is always in his damn car. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Tsubasa said:

Three episodes in and I still like it! But that Bruno Mars looking fellow is always in his damn car. 

 

Kids were asking me about this at school after I said I'd watched it, described him as "the guy who looks like Bruno Mars", uncanny.

13reasonswhy-hplg.jpg

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, so I'm six episodes in. Is everyone fucking gay? I mean, I'm not against that and all, but this show is like a SJW's wet dream. A gay Latino, a lesbian Asian with two gay fathers, interracial couples, more random gay people... talk about trying too hard. That being said, I still like the show though. The acting is pretty good, the story is intriguing and I like the soundtrack! Oh and it has two actors from Lost in it, which is always a plus! 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Tsubasa said:

Okay, so I'm six episodes in. Is everyone fucking gay? I mean, I'm not against that and all, but this show is like a SJW's wet dream. A gay Latino, a lesbian Asian with two gay fathers, interracial couples, more random gay people... talk about trying too hard. That being said, I still like the show though. The acting is pretty good, the story is intriguing and I like the soundtrack! Oh and it has two actors from Lost in it, which is always a plus! 

Jacob B|

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Tsubasa said:

Okay, so I'm six episodes in. Is everyone fucking gay? I mean, I'm not against that and all, but this show is like a SJW's wet dream. A gay Latino, a lesbian Asian with two gay fathers, interracial couples, more random gay people... talk about trying too hard. That being said, I still like the show though. The acting is pretty good, the story is intriguing and I like the soundtrack! Oh and it has two actors from Lost in it, which is always a plus! 

Sometimes I feel like writers shoehorn 'LGBT' people into shows for no reason at all besides 'inclusion'. Hey look this character is gay even though it has no bearing on the story, character, or anything at all! Look how progressive we are.  It's that type of thinking, the type that treats gays as 'special' that prevents them from being fully normalised and accepted into society. It's almost dehumanising.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, adziom said:

Jacob B|

 

I was surprised to see him in such a small role. Pretty cool though. Now I'm waiting for the Man in Black to show up. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It does well to highlight a massive issue with numbers of young men not understanding what rape is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watched it and loved it.  Yes,  it's a bit cringey at times (especially the dialogues),  but overall they have handled the story well. Top Ost,  as well. 

I also don't agree with some of the criticism directed towards the show. Teenagers,  especially boys,  need to see this show.  Would stop them from being arseholes. 

 

How short was that Bruno Mars lookalike?  When he lines up with the other kids in the corridor after that speech by Clay,  he looked really tiny. 

He was cool though. 

On 20/05/2017 at 1:41 PM, Tsubasa said:

 Three episodes in and I still like it! But that Bruno Mars looking fellow is always in his damn car. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

How short was that Bruno Mars lookalike? 

 

5' 7" (1.70 m) according to imdb. But yea, he was probably my favourite character in the show. The bro I never had :'(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 7 ain't that short. I swear he looked shorter than that. But yeah,  wish everyone had a friend like him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

5 7 ain't that short. I swear he looked shorter than that. But yeah,  wish everyone had a friend like him. 

Gay?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/10/2017 at 1:24 AM, Cicero said:

Gay?

Someone who is always there for you,  even when you behave like an arsehole.  

Having cool wheels is a bonus,  though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, I totally forgot that he was gay on the show, that was a bit odd as well. Like, okay, this character will probably be a favourite of the viewers. Let's make him SUPERGAY! The whole gay theme felt so forced and LGBT oriented to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2nd series starts May 18th.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Season 2 released this Friday on Netflix 

I wonder how many 'gay' people they will include in this season. Wonder if any transgenders make any cameos just to appeal to the mad craze that are SJW''s. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Season 2 released this Friday on Netflix 

I wonder how many 'gay' people they will include in this season. Wonder if any transgenders make any cameos just to appeal to the mad craze that are SJW''s. 

I think not having a gay person in a programme about a school is a bit weird no? Near enough every year group of anyone I've ever met had at least one gay person..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Danny said:

I think not having a gay person in a programme about a school is a bit weird no? Near enough every year group of anyone I've ever met had at least one gay person..

Except they had a good three or four. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The amount of gay people that suddenly popped up in the first season made me laugh sometimes. Especially the Asian lesbian with two gay dads or whatever it was. It's like "fuck, we only have three characters left in the script, which of them should be gay?" - "Ummmmm, all.....of.....them?!". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Tommy said:

The amount of gay people that suddenly popped up in the first season made me laugh sometimes. Especially the Asian lesbian with two gay dads or whatever it was. It's like "fuck, we only have three characters left in the script, which of them should be gay?" - "Ummmmm, all.....of.....them?!". 

I fully expect Clay to become a transgender this season 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ended up binging on this 2nd series after eventually getting past the first 2-3 episodes which were quite slow.

the novelty of the 1st series helps that it got such rave reviews and such attention in the first place. Like an artist/bands second album it's always going to be hard to replicate success of the first and the same happens here. This 2nd series does improve as it gets towards the end, it picks up after about episode 5 or 6 so halfway through.

Some of the 'kids' do well to continue conveying the issues of the characters i.e. rape victims, mental health, bullying and harassment victims etc.

not gonna lie, I fucking shed a few tears in the final episode when they're finally saying goodbye to Hannah at her service. think cos I can relate after a friend took his life at school about 10 years ago and it just brought back tons of memories of when that news broke and just being frozen at the thought of it.

Also, the scenes of what Monty does to Tyler is mega fucked up. Think they went a bit OTT on that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Found a great summary for that show:

 

 

xD

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone else want to punch Clay in the face? 

 

Will always prefer the 1st season but this one was alright. Far too slow for my liking but the ending was decent. 

 

As expected, a lot more gays. But I think it just serves a part of the whole message in general. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Anyone else want to punch Clay in the face? 

Will always prefer the 1st season but this one was alright. Far too slow for my liking but the ending was decent. 

As expected, a lot more gays. But I think it just serves a part of the whole message in general. 

Sometimes, yes xD. Something can be staring him directly in the face and he'll still miss it. Maybe that's done on purpose :what:. The complexities of teenage life in a school/environment like that and you end up not being able to see the obvious because of all the other shit that goes on.

Regarding the amount of gay people in the show - not sure why it matters so much. Perhaps there's so many because they want to normalise it and serve part of the message of the whole show. Having just one makes it look like they're doing it as a token kind of thing. Having several goes to show that life can go on even though you could be surrounded by them :/ 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Stan said:

Sometimes, yes xD. Something can be staring him directly in the face and he'll still miss it. Maybe that's done on purpose :what:. The complexities of teenage life in a school/environment like that and you end up not being able to see the obvious because of all the other shit that goes on.

Regarding the amount of gay people in the show - not sure why it matters so much. Perhaps there's so many because they want to normalise it and serve part of the message of the whole show. Having just one makes it look like they're doing it as a token kind of thing. Having several goes to show that life can go on even though you could be surrounded by them :/ 

It's what I figured. 

Typically, I hate it when shows or films blatantly twist or display something in eagerness to appeal a certain group. (Still can't get over the "black" Achillies in that Troy show on Netflix) 

Given the show is primarily about depression, and how to tackle the signs early on with family, friends, and even the school getting invovled, adding homosexual characters will give more of relatable viewing towards the gay audience who may or may not feel outcasted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Advertisement