talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Newcastle United Discussion

football forum

24 minutes ago, Rick said:

Well....they ARE getting a sheikh with the spending power of those. Whether he does or not is another thing, but I’d fully expect them to go fairly big. You can’t buy a premier league club nowadays and be a cheap cunt, you’ll soon fall down the leagues. 

Mike Ashley has pretty large spending power...

• Subscriber
15 hours ago, Danny said:

Are you sure about that? City still been spending. Backers that wealthy will find a way to put money into a club as big as Newcastle through sponsorship imo 

Yes - you can't do what City and Chelsea did now - not so quickly. 

3 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

Why do people think that whenever their club is being bought that they’re getting a Sheikh with the spending power of Abramovich and Mansour combined and not getting a Venky’s or Duchatelet? 

"People" are simply entertaining what the press are telling them. They don't make it up based on wikipedia calculations of wealth.

43 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

"People" are simply entertaining what the press are telling them. They don't make it up based on wikipedia calculations of wealth.

I really don’t get what you’ve said. The media tell these people they’ll be good owners and spunk £300m over the next three years on some mercenaries? 

2 hours ago, Storts said:

Yes - you can't do what City and Chelsea did now - not so quickly. 

With FFP presumably laws being laxed over the next 2 or 3 years to support clubs through this epidemic now is the time to invest heavy if you wish to do so.

If Abramovich is to ever spend again it will be this summer.

@Harvsky would you really want them to spend 100s of millions? I mean Newcastle have always been a club that had an identity about them. With heavy investment spending more than you earn you loose that.  In some ways would it be better to have owners like Leicester? Owners than run the club well make good decisions spend well and still have their own identity? 

47 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

I really don’t get what you’ve said. The media tell these people they’ll be good owners and spunk £300m over the next three years on some mercenaries? 

I was addressing your original point. You've now completely changed it from Venky's and Duchâtelet to spunking £300m on mercenaries. 

12 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

@Harvsky would you really want them to spend 100s of millions? I mean Newcastle have always been a club that had an identity about them. With heavy investment spending more than you earn you loose that.  In some ways would it be better to have owners like Leicester? Owners than run the club well make good decisions spend well and still have their own identity? 

The Newcastle before Mike Ashley, the Newcastle I grew up on, was a regular in Europe with cup runs and marquee signings. That's where I'd like to be back to. 

• Subscriber
12 hours ago, Harvsky said:

We wouldn't be able to attract big names overnight and there's always a risk you do an Everton when you have a lot of money.

Goal would have to be gradual increase. Starting with pulling away from the dross and becoming solid top 8. That shouldn't be too hard as we don't need to build a team from scratch for that. 

Yeah I agree with this, I do think there's a tendency to try and flaunt it a bit though and it hardly ever works - especially not now where you've got a lot of big money clubs already there. There simply won't be another Chelsea or Man City, and even with those two, Chelsea were already floating around the top 4 and Manchester City took nearly four years to win the title under their current owners, and that followed a few years of spending relatively big under Shinawatra.

Gradual progress is the one. I've only ever seen one team go from relegation candidates to champions but their name escapes me.

2 hours ago, Harvsky said:

I was addressing your original point. You've now completely changed it from Venky's and Duchâtelet to spunking £300m on mercenaries. 

The Newcastle before Mike Ashley, the Newcastle I grew up on, was a regular in Europe with cup runs and marquee signings. That's where I'd like to be back to. 

You addressed nothing, in fairness. You claimed the papers are telling people that these new owners are good owners. That’s a bizarre opinion and frankly, bollocks. 

8 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

You addressed nothing, in fairness. You claimed the papers are telling people that these new owners are good owners. That’s a bizarre opinion and frankly, bollocks. 

Read your own initial post again carefully. You were talking about spending power, that happening is in the papers. Simple as that. That's where people get it from. Simple as that. 

32 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

Read your own initial post again carefully. You were talking about spending power, that happening is in the papers. Simple as that. That's where people get it from. Simple as that. 

You know you can still get someone who has spending power who is a shit owner, don’t you? Like, I don’t know, Mike Ashley when it’s “Ashley In” not “Ashley Ooooot”. Simple as that. 

8 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

Why do people think that whenever their club is being bought that they’re getting a Sheikh with the spending power of Abramovich and Mansour combined and not getting a Venky’s or Duchatelet? 

It’s MBS’s investment firm buying them, it’s an incredible amount of wealth they’ve got behind them now. It’s a bit different than the Venkys or the guy who sucked the life out of Chalrton.

I think it’s more likely the Saudi crown prince follows the blueprint laid by Chelsea, City and PSG. As well as the own experience of his own family member overseeing Sheffield United’s rise from league one to where they are now. 

10 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

You know you can still get someone who has spending power who is a shit owner, don’t you? Like, I don’t know, Mike Ashley when it’s “Ashley In” not “Ashley Ooooot”. Simple as that. 

Whether you badly worded your original point or just can't accept being wrong and are coming up with new twists, the point being addressed is about whether there will be any money spent and the snipe at fans of the club thinking their might be. Quarters of the press have said money will be spent. That's where the idea being entertained comes from. Fans don't just make it up like you said.

Truth is this all stems from you being a salty mackem of sorts. You can't post about Newcastle without a dig at the fans. 

48 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

You're going to be a modern day QPR.

Well Jamie Rueben will leave QPR board to be on Newcastle board, maybe he can bring Sir Les with him.

In other news Nikos Dabizas wants to be our Director of Football :4_joy:

Daily Mail report Yasir Al-Rumayyan will be Chairman. He's also on the board at Uber. The document submitted to the Premier League reportedly outlines plans for big investment in SJP, the academy and the team in 3 year stages.

10 hours ago, Harvsky said:

Well Jamie Rueben will leave QPR board to be on Newcastle board, maybe he can bring Sir Les with him.

In other news Nikos Dabizas wants to be our Director of Football :4_joy:

Daily Mail report Yasir Al-Rumayyan will be Chairman. He's also on the board at Uber. The document submitted to the Premier League reportedly outlines plans for big investment in SJP, the academy and the team in 3 year stages.

On a serious note is big investment needed at SJP and academy? The big appeal to Newcastle is the infrastructure to be a massive club seems already there.

A QPR fan I was speaking with described Les Ferdinand "all mouth" when I ask I asked if hes any good. Probably best off bringing back Ruel Fox.

1 hour ago, The Palace Fan said:

On a serious note is big investment needed at SJP and academy? The big appeal to Newcastle is the infrastructure to be a massive club seems already there.

A QPR fan I was speaking with described Les Ferdinand "all mouth" when I ask I asked if hes any good. Probably best off bringing back Ruel Fox.

I don't know whether capacity can be increased at SJP as Mike Ashley sold the land around it and pocketed the money for himself. However we could fill a 60k stadium with the right price structure.

In general the facilities within the ground need upgrading. Where I had a season ticket the toilets hadn't been upgraded since Euro 1996. There was a poster on the wall of Kevin Nolan and Alan Smith years after both left the club. The roof is getting covered in moss and dirt which doesn't get cleaned anymore. A shockingly poor quality big screen was put up next to the away fans. With VAR announced on screens the majority of the ground and most expensive seats can't see a screen. These are minor points but necessary fixes.

The training ground facilities are notoriously the worst in the league. They haven't been upgraded in a long time because the argument was that it made no difference to performance. You may recall a picture of our players standing in wheelie bins filled with ice and having a paddling pool from Argos. 

Part of academy investment I believe is about connection in the local community. Providing good quality places for kids to play more than just the 11 players you put out in the under 14s league. 

Will it lead to more players coming through? Maybe. The Longstaff brothers are our first product since Dummett came through several years ago if we discount Adam Armstrong. Is their success because of our academy or is genetics and family playing a big role? They are the nephews of former Celtic winger Alan Thompson. But we also have to consider how much academy damage was done by the racist bully Peter Beardsley?

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
13 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

You're going to be a modern day QPR.

I think slightly better than that. More like Everton. Spend lots (maybe more), not really get anywhere.

Think from the outset for any club even if they have copious amounts of money is to have a strategy and structure in place for the next few years. Get rid of any deadwood, and don't buy players and spend fuckloads to make a statement just because you have the money. Buy players that fit that strategy/philosophy with the money you have so that you avoid being like a QPR.

5 minutes ago, Stan said:

I think slightly better than that. More like Everton. Spend lots (maybe more), not really get anywhere.

Think from the outset for any club even if they have copious amounts of money is to have a strategy and structure in place for the next few years. Get rid of any deadwood, and don't buy players and spend fuckloads to make a statement just because you have the money. Buy players that fit that strategy/philosophy with the money you have so that you avoid being like a QPR.

You’ve always had managers moaning that it’s hard to attract players to the North East. I’m not sure if it’s an excuse towards why their recruitment has been so bad, which it definitely was at Sunderland for years on end and has been at times with Newcastle. It does seem lazy but it could have some merit to it. 

With that in mind and what you said, I think Newcastle need to be careful with how they go about their business in order to not be hoodwinked into paying an extra £10-20k a week to a player just to get him out of the clutches of an Everton or West Ham and certainly not just throw money at a load of players without a plan in mind. 

• Administrator
28 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

You’ve always had managers moaning that it’s hard to attract players to the North East. I’m not sure if it’s an excuse towards why their recruitment has been so bad, which it definitely was at Sunderland for years on end and has been at times with Newcastle. It does seem lazy but it could have some merit to it. 

With that in mind and what you said, I think Newcastle need to be careful with how they go about their business in order to not be hoodwinked into paying an extra £10-20k a week to a player just to get him out of the clutches of an Everton or West Ham and certainly not just throw money at a load of players without a plan in mind. 

True. You think with all the players they have over the years (maybe not recently and more yesteryear) and the huge stadium (with fans that would almost be rejuvenated just to have Ashley out the club) they could once again become an attractive proposition. They definitely need to be careful regardless. 

43 minutes ago, Stan said:

Whilst it was a light hearted comment on my part I'd like to see a strategy put in place on what works now that develops over time (experienced back line, Longstaffs and ASM). Players like Omishen, Cyprien, Diallo, Aouchiche in Ligue One that can grow with Saint-Maximin and the club. I've seen them inevitably linked with the likes of Coutinho who, whilst be a fantastic footballer, doesnt really have any motivation to succeed in such an environment.

37 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

There is a famous story that Rob Lee was persuaded that Newcastle is south of Middlesbrough so he would sign xD