talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak

football forum

The government strolled out triumphantly with this 3-Tier shite as a way of clearing up the mishmash of different regional measures. 

And within barely a day it has collapsed back into the same thing as before, but now with more official-sounding terminology. 

5 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Just as I thought Nichola Sturgeon had come out of this Covid crisis well she drops this " Footballs not essential" bombshell... xD

Shes actually got a point though. I mean football does a lot for communities and that but it is a first world problem.

30 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Of course she has.. My post was more along the light hearted lines than condemnation.. xD

Lol I got that mate but I admit my post probably didnt come across that way 

• Subscriber

I can't get my head around the politics of this in the UK now. From the outside it just seems that everyone has totally lost their heads. Nothing makes sense, all you hear about are cross-party tensions, inter-party tensions.

Fair does to Burnham for sticking up for his city but I think he has to be really clear he's fighting for a better financial support. If he fights against going into tier 3 and Manchester suffers more deaths than the tier 3 areas the finger will be pointed at him and he won't really be able to complain.

Apparently Liverpool mayor Joe Anderson lost his brother to cancer 5 weeks ago and now has another brother in ICU with Covid. Tough times for him.

ICU staff from both Liverpool and Manchester hospitals are talking about capacity being reached now. 

To be honest there's not much difference between tier 2 and 3. 

Pretty senior people within SAGE don't think the tiers will work. A circuit break to get kids out of schools is highly likely.

The key thing could be that the increase is gradual. In March and April it was almost bang overnight. Current numbers hospitalised is around a third of the peak, ventilators something around an eighth. 

• Subscriber
43 minutes ago, Tommy said:

As the Covid numbers here keep rising, people started to hoard toilet paper again. :S

Someone over here took a private test the other day which came back positive. Caused an entire office to be evacuated and deep cleaned. Then took an actual certified government test and turned out to be a false negative within a matter of hours. Still my cousin was at the shop said he saw two people buying multiple 12 packs of toilet roll. Literally insane, it was one thing the first time but having been through a full lockdown and the shops being open all the way through how can you be so dumb over a small scare months later?

• Upvote 3

A leaked letter making the rounds on the net that Wales will go into a 'circuit break' lockdown from Friday 23rd October until Monday 9th November. 

received_914832478925515.thumb.jpeg.2010c100995f135ddcbec8a4b3d8ee8a.jpeg

Nothing will be confirmed until Monday, but considering this is from a director of a union, I wouldn't be too surprised if this is true. My mate mentioned this to Chris Bryant who, unsurprisingly, hasn't said a thing since. 

Goodbye to our tourism and hospitality sectors, and most likely my dad losing his job as a result of these cunts. No doubt our Welsh Government will politicise this by begging Westminster for more cash when the time comes and spin it against them once again if nothing happens. 

Edited by Bluebird Hewitt

1 minute ago, Harry said:

Europe is starting to make the Covid situation in the USA look good by comparison.

France at 32,000 cases a day lately now.

Not sure how much the UK has overall, but Wales currently has under 1,000 a day so far. 

We're looking likely to go into a 'circuit breaker' (also know as a second national lockdown) for two weeks on the basis of absolutely fuck all. 

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, Harry said:

Europe is starting to make the Covid situation in the USA look good by comparison.

Mass testing being available I'm guessing has some part to play in the huge numbers we're seeing.

Deaths remaining relatively low in contrast to the rising cases.

What's the testing like in US?

15 minutes ago, Harry said:

They've obviously not figured out the American wisdom that if you don't test, you don't get new cases. 

• Subscriber
20 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Not sure how much the UK has overall, but Wales currently has under 1,000 a day so far. 

We're looking likely to go into a 'circuit breaker' (also know as a second national lockdown) for two weeks on the basis of absolutely fuck all. 

Have the local lockdowns in Wales worked at all? Because in England it doesn't really seem to have helped. Some people are suggesting now that having blanket rules across the country for a short amount of time might do the trick a bit better because it'll be less confusing, easier to police and you don't have people coming in and out from places with stricter or more relaxed rules. The problem is all measures take weeks before you see any impact so you don't know whether the new tiered system is enough. I imagine it's not because it's basically just the local lockdowns that haven't worked under a different banner.

1 minute ago, RandoEFC said:

Have the local lockdowns in Wales worked at all? Because in England it doesn't really seem to have helped. Some people are suggesting now that having blanket rules across the country for a short amount of time might do the trick a bit better because it'll be less confusing, easier to police and you don't have people coming in and out from places with stricter or more relaxed rules. The problem is all measures take weeks before you see any impact so you don't know whether the new tiered system is enough. I imagine it's not because it's basically just the local lockdowns that haven't worked under a different banner.

Not particularly. Caerphilly was the first to go into a local lockdown on 8th September and while cases did drop a little bit, they increased again and Caerphilly has continued to be extended by a further week ever since. As of now, Caerphilly is still in a local lockdown after six weeks. 

15 of our 22 areas in Wales (as well as Llanelli and Bangor themselves, making it more confusing) are in local lockdowns and from what I've seen, it's not made a huge difference. 

Let's not forget though that they passed the buck onto you lot and put a travel ban in place, despite no definite proof at all. 

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Not particularly. Caerphilly was the first to go into a local lockdown on 8th September and while cases did drop a little bit, they increased again and Caerphilly has continued to be extended by a further week ever since. As of now, Caerphilly is still in a local lockdown after six weeks. 

15 of our 22 areas in Wales (as well as Llanelli and Bangor themselves, making it more confusing) are in local lockdowns and from what I've seen, it's not made a huge difference. 

Let's not forget though that they passed the buck onto you lot and put a travel ban in place, despite no definite proof at all. 

Enough of the "you lot" thanks. I'm Manx not English. :ay:

30 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Enough of the "you lot" thanks. I'm Manx not English. :ay:

You can still swim down so you're banned. :ph34r:

This 'circuit breaker will likely cover all of Wales. Even the remaining 7 with no restrictions. 

EDIT: According to the latest figures from PHW (just released), there were 950 people who tested positive and 3 deaths. The deaths in general have been in single figures and low double figures since the increase in cases began. 

8 hours ago, Stan said:

Mass testing being available I'm guessing has some part to play in the huge numbers we're seeing.

Deaths remaining relatively low in contrast to the rising cases.

What's the testing like in US?

Pretty similarly widespread testing.

The US second wave was also much less deadly than the first wave which means the first wave was much bigger than any testing indicated, but there's a third wave coming, and I suspect the winter wave will be more of a problem.

8 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Presumably the thinking is to arrest the rate of growth?

When my state (5m) went into lockdown it was surprising how long it took for the cases to turn around. First stage of lockdowns early July was triggered when we got 100 cases per day. This was a partial lockdown excluding schools and shops. By the start of August we were at around 800 cases per day and still trending up so we went to a full lockdown and from there cases began to subside after about a week and we're now back to 1 case per day and beginning to reopen. We're trying to do what new Zealand and most of Australia has done and eradicate COVID so we can go back to a near normal though, which I don't would be an option for most of Europe.

11 hours ago, Harry said:

Presumably the thinking is to arrest the rate of growth?

When my state (5m) went into lockdown it was surprising how long it took for the cases to turn around. First stage of lockdowns early July was triggered when we got 100 cases per day. This was a partial lockdown excluding schools and shops. By the start of August we were at around 800 cases per day and still trending up so we went to a full lockdown and from there cases began to subside after about a week and we're now back to 1 case per day and beginning to reopen. We're trying to do what new Zealand and most of Australia has done and eradicate COVID so we can go back to a near normal though, which I don't would be an option for most of Europe.

That's what local lockdowns should have done and considering the majority of Wales are under these restrictions (even one that went into local lockdown on the basis of single figure cases at that time), it's clear that they haven't worked. 

The issue for us is that Wales is highly dependent on hospitality and tourism, which this lockdown (as well as slow relaxing of restrictions) would start to cripple us, especially as we also have a travel ban in place from hot-spot areas of the UK. 

The only way I could see this being ok is if the 'circuit breaker' shows a significant reduction (despite some saying that it'll have no benefit and just cause more detriment to people) by the time it's supposed to end and all local lockdown restrictions are removed.

Unfortunately, this is the Welsh Government and as shown with Caerphilly, I wouldn't be surprised if they continue to extend it week by week until the new year (so that Drakeford can continue his unnecessary iron grip on Wales), blame England/students/the community/Bluewolf/anyone but themselves, beg for more money from the same government they've played politics against and continue to do so if it gets rejected.