talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak

football forum

London and the South East are the priority, that's very clear. As soon as London went into Tier 2, guess what there is financial help available for them? Not when Liverpool and Manchester were there though. It's a joke and shows how much we need a federal England. There is no way on earth London would be in a lockdown by itself, this is why we're seeing this farce of every other city being put in tier 3. It's all to protect London. London was the hotspot at the start of this, would never ever haven been locked down. When will the North realise that the south is laughing at them.

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

What? O.o

I thought it was Tier 1, Tier 2 and Tier 3 for all of England now? 

Fair play, no one wants to make this nice and simple. 

I don't think it's an amendment to the tiers per se, more bespoke fiddling just for local areas. A bit like how when Liverpool City Region went into tier 3, gyms had to close, but when Lancashire did, they didn't. (I think!) 

17 minutes ago, Danny said:

I live in Ealing Borough and we have the largest rates of transmission in London, 227 per 100,000 as of 19/10-25/10. 

It’s difficult in London because you simply can’t just put lockdown restrictions on one borough, everything’s so interconnected that it’d make no sense. I do wonder how many boroughs would be needed to put the city in tier 3

A bit like Greater Manchester and Lancashire was during the first wave of local lockdowns - the worst areas ended up dragging the everywhere nearby in with them, as borders between districts are so unremarkable and indistinguishable they had to I suppose. Places like Rossendale and Tameside were relatively average yet got the same treatment as those with hundreds of cases a day.

15 hours ago, Danny said:

I live in Ealing Borough and we have the largest rates of transmission in London, 227 per 100,000 as of 19/10-25/10. 

It’s difficult in London because you simply can’t just put lockdown restrictions on one borough, everything’s so interconnected that it’d make no sense. I do wonder how many boroughs would be needed to put the city in tier 3

That's still half the rate in Liverpool, Manchester and some of the satellite towns in the North West. It's also lower than Bristol who somehow isn't in Tier 2. Mental.

London's R rate is apparently 3 though. Coincidentally the same number of people who went into our office yesterday :4_joy:

• Subscriber

The waffle is moving towards a national lockdown after all now. France and Germany have just taken the plunge but have this time kept schools open. I think England will eventually follow suit, it is absolutely essential though that they keep schools open both for the sake of the kids and their parents.

3 hours ago, Steve Bruce Almighty said:

That's still half the rate in Liverpool, Manchester and some of the satellite towns in the North West. It's also lower than Bristol who somehow isn't in Tier 2. Mental.

London's R rate is apparently 3 though. Coincidentally the same number of people who went into our office yesterday :4_joy:

It’s lower but madly according to the BBC local area thing Ealing has around 400 recorded deaths and Liverpool 600ish, yet their number per 100k is larger 

32 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

The waffle is moving towards a national lockdown after all now. France and Germany have just taken the plunge but have this time kept schools open. I think England will eventually follow suit, it is absolutely essential though that they keep schools open both for the sake of the kids and their parents.

There’s no evidence these local lockdowns have worked in the UK is there? Feel like you need capable test and trace for a thorough local lockdown to work...

National lockdowns aren’t the long term answer but the government need to announce a lockdown so they can pull their fingers out their arse

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Danny said:

There’s no evidence these local lockdowns have worked in the UK is there? Feel like you need capable test and trace for a thorough local lockdown to work...

National lockdowns aren’t the long term answer but the government need to announce a lockdown so they can pull their fingers out their arse

The thing is with the measures is that t takes two weeks at least to see the impact.

Test and trace isn't the silver bullet either. The UKs one needs to be better and that will help but Germany's has been held up as this great example but they're also back into lockdown now because the spread has gone up again.

Liverpool cases are dropping, how much that is to do with the measures or whether the virus had reached it's max level here is not clear. The issue is that it's gone through the young and into older communities, where it's often more serious. 

I think a national lockdown is pretty much inevitable, but it could have been done a couple of weeks ago. This slowly shutting down anywhere but London is madness.

There's not much difference between Tier 2 and 3. On paper Tier 3 was largely designed as a last resort for student cities. 

The key thing about the tiers is the impact on the psyche of the community rather than what is on paper. People will do more than the guidance to protect themselves and others when they are told the risk is greater. 

• Administrator

A vastly overdue national lockdown to come in from next week then. The government snidely releasing this news to papers on a Friday evening. They're pathetic. They actually infuriate me just how shite they are. 

9 hours ago, Stan said:

A vastly overdue national lockdown to come in from next week then. The government snidely releasing this news to papers on a Friday evening. They're pathetic. They actually infuriate me just how shite they are. 

Constantly behind everything with this aren't they this government

According to the below BBC article, we might not see '2019' normality for five years. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54661843

I hope that's not a sign for the Welsh Government to do rolling lockdowns for the full five years (I very highly doubt they will, but I wouldn't put it passed them and expect England to pay for each one). 

• Administrator
40 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

According to the below BBC article, we might not see '2019' normality for five years. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54661843

I hope that's not a sign for the Welsh Government to do rolling lockdowns for the full five years (I very highly doubt they will, but I wouldn't put it passed them and expect England to pay for each one). 

Surely it's just until a vaccine comes along? Lockdowns, I imagine/hope, would be less frequent when a vaccine is in place, even if initially it is preserved for those in a priority/shielding category. 

Regarding Wales' actions, this didn't age well...

Only a few days ago. It's not as if they're handling it with so much glory while being in charge here. Prick.

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Surely it's just until a vaccine comes along? Lockdowns, I imagine/hope, would be less frequent when a vaccine is in place, even if initially it is preserved for those in a priority/shielding category. 

Regarding Wales' actions, this didn't age well...

Only a few days ago. It's not as if they're handling it with so much glory while being in charge here. Prick.

I'd like to think so, but I just feel that they may still do something like that anyway. 

Who's James Cleverly? 

29 minutes ago, Stan said:

A Tory MP. 

Ah ok. Not really sure with some of these

Also, you must all gag yourselves for the remainder of this pandemic, as chatting indoors is now being blamed for the spike in cases before lockdown. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-54733688

So that's students, pubs, communities and general chatting blamed for increases, but stopping people from buying non essential items will sort all of this out. 

Also, some gym owners may now consider breaking future lockdown rules unless scientific proof is provided. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-54689877

Edited by Bluebird Hewitt
  • Haha 1

• Subscriber

Boris holding a press conference with the medical officers at 5pm today. Expected to be an announcement for a national lockdown. What baffles me is that they've just announced over the past few days some more tier changes to come into effect today and some on Monday. Surely if it IS a national lockdown, they wouldn't have done that?