talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak

football forum

On 02/11/2020 at 13:03, nudge said:

The reporting in media worldwide has been nothing short of mass psychosis though. A NeW rEcoRd!!! KiLleR vIruS BrInGz DeATh!!! Well guess what, it's been going on for over 10 months already; reporting new numbers and spinning endless articles about how long the virus survives on a plastic packaging in the freezer at -18 degrees does absolutely nothing anymore now that it has spread everywhere; other than make people more annoyed and feed into their fears and insecurities.

Pretty much.

• Upvote 2

• Subscriber
On 03/11/2020 at 08:46, The Artful Dodger said:

I'm not sure exactly what this means, they want us to go and get tested but we're not obliged? If it means there's a better chance of us getting the pubs back open for Christmas then i'll be forcing my neighbours down there.

I've seen some scepticism towards this from some scousers, accusing the government of using Liverpool as a guinea pig. I get why they think that, and I think the government need to be more clear on what they're actually trying to achieve, what model they are trying to test in Liverpool to roll out across the country, but the bottom line is, it would be better if as many people as possible got tested.

• Subscriber
15 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

Pretty much.

See I think stuff like this is equally unhelpful though. The prevalence of the anti-science Covid deniers is only encouraged by this sort of thing even if most sensible people see it and understand that it's tongue in cheek and a fair dig like we've been saying.

Boy this pandemic has really brought out the societal divisions all over the world. People pointing out mass gatherings of the other but conveniently ignoring their own. 

Which isn't new when Syphilis became a thing French called it Italian disease, Italian called it French disease, Muslims called it Christian disease and men called it the disease of ' unhygienic ' women.

Edited by Azeem

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, Stan said:

@nudge did you have mutated COVID on minks for November 2020 in your special calendar?

Similar to outbreaks in the Netherlands and Spain mink farms earlier this year. Hopefully, this will at least kill off the whole fur trade industry completely. 

When I left the house this morning it was proper creepy quiet.. a slight mist floating around as well that was straight out of a Hammer Horror film then I remembered it was the first day of lockdown... Then later on I was looking at the photos on the web of all those people crammed on the trains this morning some with masks, some without, some half on and half not etc and wonder how we are supposed to be containing the spread with people crammed in these trains like that everyday.. It's not like it was before with hardly anybody using public transport, it's as if a large majority of the public are still going about their normal routine..

We have had 5 cases now at our place and they are shitting themselves in case it goes up and we get shut down so we are being required to stand guard near the entrance and exits to make sure everyone is complying fully with the rules because someone went and told the boss upstairs that people were not following the rules downstairs and that we didn't care about it which couldn't be further from the truth in reality... I did catch one tonight coming down the stairs from the office without his on and of all people it was the Hygiene Manager, talk about setting a piss poor example... I said "mask on please," he said "it's in my bag" so told him it needed to be on his ugly face all the time he is on site which he took great exception too... I told him if he didn't like it he should go and complain to the boss.. xD

• Administrator
Just now, Bluewolf said:

When I left the house this morning it was proper creepy quiet.. a slight mist floating around as well that was straight out of a Hammer Horror film then I remembered it was the first day of lockdown... Then later on I was looking at the photos on the web of all those people crammed on the trains this morning some with masks, some without, some half on and half not etc and wonder how we are supposed to be containing the spread with people crammed in these trains like that everyday.. It's not like it was before with hardly anybody using public transport, it's as if a large majority of the public are still going about their normal routine..

We have had 5 cases now at our place and they are shitting themselves in case it goes up and we get shut down so we are being required to stand guard near the entrance and exits to make sure everyone is complying fully with the rules because someone went and told the boss upstairs that people were not following the rules downstairs and that we didn't care about it which couldn't be further from the truth in reality... I did catch one tonight coming down the stairs from the office without his on and of all people it was the Hygiene Manager, talk about setting a piss poor example... I said "mask on please," he said "it's in my bag" so told him it needed to be on his ugly face all the time he is on site which he took great exception too... I told him if he didn't like it he should go and complain to the boss.. xD

People still need to go to work :what:

1 minute ago, Stan said:

People still need to go to work :what:

Of course they do but with so many non essential shops and businesses shutting you would expect a drop off on the amount of people travelling like earlier in the year but it seems the same and if it stays roughly the same what is the point in having a lockdown??? You can't have an effective lockdown only by name if people are being crammed into trains and buses without enforcing the use of masks.. I can't think of a worse confined area than a train or a busy underground station... 

21 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

Of course they do but with so many non essential shops and businesses shutting you would expect a drop off on the amount of people travelling like earlier in the year but it seems the same and if it stays roughly the same what is the point in having a lockdown??? You can't have an effective lockdown only by name if people are being crammed into trains and buses without enforcing the use of masks.. I can't think of a worse confined area than a train or a busy underground station... 

Similar with us really. Things seem generally the same as normal and you wouldn't think there were any issues at all. 

I know that it needs a few weeks after lockdown to see any noticeable difference, but Merthyr Tydfil (as of yesterday) was the worst in the UK for case rates at 741 cases per 100k.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-54824485

My area was 9th at 554 cases per 100k.

• Subscriber

I’m going on Furlough for the second time this year. But I’m really not fussed, it’s for the good of the company and it will mean 0 job losses. I’m not massively impacted by the 20% loss and it means I get to spend more time with my daughter.

Seeing the positives and all that :) 

• Upvote 4

• Administrator
18 minutes ago, JOSHBRFC said:

I’m going on Furlough for the second time this year. But I’m really not fussed, it’s for the good of the company and it will mean 0 job losses. I’m not massively impacted by the 20% loss and it means I get to spend more time with my daughter.

Seeing the positives and all that :) 

Good to hear from you. Hope all is well with your daughter and yourself :)

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, JOSHBRFC said:

Better than ever thanks mate!

Hope all is good for you and the Wife to be ;)

All is well. Lockdown makes things difficult as it is but trying to plan a wedding at the same time, and not knowing how many guests we could have makes things a bit more difficult xD

All good though :91_thumbsup:

• Subscriber

Thought I would post this in here, unbelievable, coming back in a taxi yesterday and going past Leith Links Park playing fields and the taxi driver said "FFS look at them, idiots!!!!" On the side of the park near the walkway were a group of people having a barbeque all sitting around it chatting, drinking and whatnot, black smoke billowing from the Barbie.

The park is supposed to be used as a playing arena for kiddies football and parents having a stroll or walking their dogs, pound for a penny they would have a visit from the old bill and got their arses kicked, fined and told to fuck off from the park.

18057027_10155261671532855_1859810111748033452_n.thumb.jpg.234a6e5d04334aee953656d46518eebc.jpg

• Subscriber
20 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Breaking vaccine news!

1198906786_ScreenShot2020-11-09at12_06_39.thumb.png.220acb55c0d5b7076d7cc23ea6481f4d.png

Pfizer developing the vaccine in question. Hopefully it's not too good to be true!

Pfizer and BioNTech, which is a German company in Mainz, and they already agreed on supplying 300 million doses with European Comission :)

Best news in a long time, those interim results look much better than expected! 

• Subscriber
27 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Great news. Still a bit to go but to be at this stage means it's likely to be effective.

I came back to upvote your original comment because it was so true but I see that you've had second thoughts xD.

• Administrator

Some more info on it:

The first effective coronavirus vaccine can prevent more than 90% of people from getting Covid-19, a preliminary analysis shows.

The developers - Pfizer and BioNTech - described it as a "great day for science and humanity".

Their vaccine has been tested on 43,500 people in six countries and no safety concerns have been raised.

The companies plan to apply for emergency approval to use the vaccine by the end of the month.

A vaccine - alongside better treatments - is seen as the best way of getting out of the restrictions that have been imposed on all our lives.

There are around a dozen in the final stages of testing - known as a phase 3 trial - but this is the first to show any results.

It uses a completely experimental approach - that involves injecting part of the virus's genetic code - in order to train the immune system.

Previous trials have shown the vaccine trains the body to make both antibodies - and another part of the immune system called T-cells to fight the coronavirus.

Two doses, three weeks apart, are needed. The trials - in US, Germany, Brazil, Argentina, South Africa and Turkey - show 90% protection is achieved seven days after the second dose.

Pfizer believes it will be able to supply 50 million doses by the end of this year, and around 1.3 billion by the end of 2021.

However there are logistical challenges, as the vaccine has to be kept in ultra-cold storage at below minus 80C.

There are also questions about how long immunity lasts and the companies have not presented a breakdown of the vaccine's effectiveness in different age groups.

Dr Albert Bourla, the chairman of Pfizer, said: "We are a significant step closer to providing people around the world with a much-needed breakthrough to help bring an end to this global health crisis."

Prof Ugur Sahin, one of the founders of BioNTech, described the results as a "milestone".

The data presented is not the final analysis. It is based on the first 94 volunteers to test positive for Covid - the precise effectiveness of the vaccine may change when the full results are analysed.

The companies say they will have enough safety data by the third week of November to take their vaccine to regulators.

Until then it is not possible for countries to begin their vaccination campaigns. The UK has already put in an order for 30m doses.

• Upvote 1