talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak

football forum

Not sure if you've heard, but due to our positive cases increasing since the firebreak ended (the past 24 hours saw 1,645 new cases and 24 deaths), as of 6pm yesterday, pubs, restaurants and cafes throughout Wales (not locally like England and Scotland, as that's far too much work for our lot to do) can't sell alcohol at all for at least two weeks (which will most likely be extended), while all pubscafes and restaurants must close at 6pm. 

So if you want a meal out in the evening, you're fucked. If you own a 'wet' pub, there's no point in reopening as all you can serve is soft drinks. As this applies to all of Wales, those in low infection areas also have to adhere to this. 

Of course, the Welsh Labour lapdogs are more than happy to defend this in the same way they were happy to defend the non essential bollocks from last month (which, ironically, is a tad hypocritical, seeing as supermarkets and off licenses can serve alcohol still until 10pm, which Drakeford said that there's no point enforcing it for 6pm as people will stock up regardless. So much for 'interest of fairness' like he said before). 

Getting more and more ridiculous by the day, but it won't matter as the lapdogs in Wales will happily vote them back in next year regardless to continue the endless circle of shite. 

EDIT: I forgot to mention that there are no votes on this either. Can't even be debated upon in the Senedd until a week or two after they've come into force. Ridiculous. 

Edited by Bluebird Hewitt

I get the impression you don't care for Welsh Labour @Bluebird Hewitt :ph34r: Surprised given their form they haven't ordered supermarkets to tape off their alcohol aisles after 6pm.

The impression I have always gotten from traditional pubs at least is that they make practically nothing on beer but an absolute killing off soft drinks, and even more of one off food; sadly making the places dry means you won't actually get anyone in to begin with. How long does this current set of restrictions last (in theory)?

Edit - Noticed you answered that question the first time. I'll read posts properly next time...

Edited by tlr

11 minutes ago, tlr said:

I get the impression you don't care for Welsh Labour @Bluebird Hewitt :ph34r: Surprised given their form they haven't ordered supermarkets to tape off their alcohol aisles after 6pm.

The impression I have always gotten from traditional pubs at least is that they make practically nothing on beer but an absolute killing off soft drinks, and even more of one off food; sadly making the places dry means you won't actually get anyone in to begin with. How long does this current set of restrictions last (in theory)?

Pretty much. Many seem to think they've done a great job of this but when you compare us to other areas of the UK (despite the more cautious approach), we're no better off really and at present, I think we have some of the highest rates in the UK at present and while I'm aware that it's us (the public) that have to shoulder a lot of the blame as well, the decision making at the top leaves a lot to be desired (scotch eggs being classed as a 'substantial meal', for example). 

In regards to making nothing on beer, I'm not too sure myself but wouldn't be surprised if you're right. Regardless, you most likely wouldn't go to a pub if you couldn't have a pint at all anyway, losing any sales. 

As for these restrictions, apparently two weeks but I can easily see it being extended into the new year (imagine the amount of people being out for a piss up if it was finished on the 18th December). Half the time, I think they just add restrictions or piss around just to look like they're doing something. 

I admittedly do go onto a bit of a rant and rave (others have done against the UK Government many times, rightly or wrongly, so only fair I get mine in as well :ph34r:). 

Edited by Bluebird Hewitt

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, N U F C said:

Haha.

Great to see them getting on with it! Did I read somewhere that a second vaccination is needed in 21 days for it to take any effect?

Yep correct. It gives it a higher percentage of working after the 2nd jab is done. 

• Subscriber
17 minutes ago, Stan said:

This is just the peer review of the previously announced interim results. However, Oxford/Astrazeneca are now starting a new global clinical trial due to that dosage error in the original one.

• Subscriber
13 hours ago, Carnivore Chris said:

This country will be awful to live in after this, especially up north.

The only good thing about this country was the economy, but now that's crap aswell, it's going to be very grim times.

It’s always grim up North mate. Remember ;) 

• Subscriber

That's wee Kaiden & daughter isolating for 14 days and Kaiden's school closed down as one of his teachers was diagnosed with the virus, the wife's plans are up the shoot now for this weekend as she planned to go around our daughters to drop some Xmas presents off and wrap some presents up so we will have to wrap them up here and get our son to drop them off at the door when he is doing his taxi shift.

Looks like it will be video calls for the next two weeks to see his wee face, put his monthly pocket money in his bank account what we normally do so the daughter can pick something out on Amazon that he wants and it will get delivered.

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

That's wee Kaiden & daughter isolating for 14 days and Kaiden's school closed down as one of his teachers was diagnosed with the virus, the wife's plans are up the shoot now for this weekend as she planned to go around our daughters to drop some Xmas presents off and wrap some presents up so we will have to wrap them up here and get our son to drop them off at the door when he is doing his taxi shift.

Looks like it will be video calls for the next two weeks to see his wee face, put his monthly pocket money in his bank account what we normally do so the daughter can pick something out on Amazon that he wants and it will get delivered.

Hopefully they're free of the virus but think of it this way - 2 weeks is just before Xmas so hopefully you can all be together come Xmas Day :) 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

Sorry that your plans are up the lum - but keep it that way - at least then you will be able to have other plans for the future.  My daughter is working the US in the Science Triangle in NC and is appalled by the way some of the locals are ignoring the advice - even though yesterday the US lost over 3000 folks in one day.  We have normally had at least 3 holidays before Christmas during the year and this time - nothing - at least we are all still fit enough for our daily (?) walks and fresh air.  Our 50th Wedding Ann is on hold and perhaps in March we might get a 51st - perhaps - but if not, at least we will be here not to have it.  Take the hit at present - I will remind all again of my favourite Vera song - 'There'll come another day'  that was for the 39-45 war - sing it for the 2020 pandemic!

Take care guys and gals - stay safe

Sei nett!

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

They should have considered closing schools a week early in England to be honest and given an extra week off. The toll on teachers, school leaders and other school staff (catering, cleaning) has been absolutely mad since the summer holidays. I know it's probably not practical with childcare and stuff but it could have been considered as a bit of a thank you to schools. You can see from all of the temporary closures how trying it has been on so many teachers, students and families. The last week of term, as we all know, isn't a massive loss of education and it's probably not possible this year to have all of the little tutor group parties and end of term assemblies that would usually make it worthwhile.

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Stan said:

Hopefully they're free of the virus but think of it this way - 2 weeks is just before Xmas so hopefully you can all be together come Xmas Day :) 

True, that's what the wife said, at least we will all be together on Xmas day. :D

That's our daughter relying on our son in his taxi for the isolation period if she needs anything which he will oblige knowing him as the two of them are very close, he is her chauffeur, bodyguard, agony big bruv and at call, if she needs anything... and little old mummy and daddy. xD