talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

TF365's Top 30 South American Players

football forum

On 02/02/2020 at 15:34, Dr. Gonzo said:

Oh Alexander Pato, thats a name that takes me back. I remember when he was the hottest prospect around - crazy how his career didn’t pan out like anyone would have expected

Was that the AC Milan lad? Bet he’s 35 now xD

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ed3f632ffb2b57112f088d0cc275cc90.png

Joint 30. Diego Godin - 1 Point

One of the best centre backs of this generation. Diego Godin was known for his astounding defensive abilities and just being rock solid at the back. He currently plays for Inter Milan, though is best recognized for his stint at Atletico Madrid.

He did his youths at the renowned Defensor Sporting, though started his professional career at Cerro in 2003 before moving to Uruguayan giants in Nacional in 2006. He spent a season there before moving to Villareal in 2007.

c373369d5e697126da50f2c6067d3690.png

Notable Former Teammates

Luis Suarez (Uruguay)

Bruno Fornaroli (Nacional) @Stan @Toinho 

Fernando Muslera (Uruguay and Nacional)

Antoine Griezmann (Atletico Madrid)

Romelu Lukaku (Inter Milan)

7 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Was that the AC Milan lad? Bet he’s 35 now xD

Yeah he made his big move from Brazil to AC Milan and looked pretty great in early days in Italy. It looked like he'd be their new Shevchenko for a bit, and it was when Milan still had Kaka & a whole host of other legendary players. Obviously it didn't pan out - which is probably to the disappointment of both the club and the player considering how their recent histories have gone.

2 minutes ago, Vader said:

ed3f632ffb2b57112f088d0cc275cc90.png

Joint 30. Diego Godin - 1 Point

One of the best centre backs of this generation. Diego Godin was known for his astounding defensive abilities and just being rock solid at the back. He currently plays for Inter Milan, though is best recognized for his stint at Atletico Madrid.

He did his youths at the renowned Defensor Sporting, though started his professional career at Cerro in 2003 before moving to Uruguayan giants in Nacional in 2006. He spent a season there before moving to Villareal in 2007.

c373369d5e697126da50f2c6067d3690.png

Notable Former Teammates

Luis Suarez (Uruguay)

Bruno Fornaroli (Nacional) @Stan @Toinho 

Fernando Muslera (Uruguay and Nacional)

Antoine Griezmann (Atletico Madrid)

Romelu Lukaku (Inter Milan)

Godin's one of the best defenders I've seen in recent times - I'm so glad he's not at Atletico anymore xD

22 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Godin's one of the best defenders I've seen in recent times - I'm so glad he's not at Atletico anymore xD

He is on the decline. Leaving Atleti gave them room for improvement.

4 minutes ago, Spike said:

He is on the decline. Leaving Atleti gave them room for improvement.

Yeah I just am glad we're not facing him in Europe as our next opponent, because even a defender on the decline in a defense they've been commanding for years can still be really really tough to get passed on those big European nights. I get why they got rid of him in terms of their long term planning - as well as giving a club legend a chance to move on when he's expressed he wanted to move on to Inter after so many years of great service to their club.

Resultado de imagen para Naldo werder bremen"

Joint 30. Naldo - Brazil - 1 Point

Naldo was a Brazilian footballer with a strong CV within the Bundesliga. He was a CB and spent more time at Werder Bremen than any other club. He also spent some time at Wolfsburg and Schalke before finishing his career at Monaco of Ligue 1.

He played at Juventude in Brazil to start his career and got 4 appearances for the Brazilian national team.

99da2246171bd091d5e43c8d1b4003bf.png

Notable Former Teammates

Claudio Pizarro (Werder Bremen)

Thiago Silva (Juventude)

98ca2df363a925ab4b4cae61c7e438cd.png

Joint 30. Romario - Brazil - 1 Point

Romario was a Brazilian footballer who was most recognized for his spell at FC Barcelona. Recognized for his goalscoring ability and being an absolute assassin within the final third. Unforgiving and would score if he got the chance. He had 309 goals in 448 appearances in his club career. These days, he has dedicated himself to being a politican. The question is: can he do it better than George Weah?

Romario is very much a Carioca and started his career with Vasco da Gama. Most of his career within Brazil were at Carioca clubs such as Fluminense and Flamengo. Although he is most recognized at Vasco, the club of his orgin.

Honours

09fd98e3f4c2b553d4ebbc2f3ef696ea.png

a5e116c8c66426105db911a7f319fe45.png

873ba08e4b31531c2bca98874bb7d74e.png

Notable Former Teammates

Sonny Anderson (Vasco da Gama)

Hristo Stoichkov (FC Barcelona)

Ronald Koeman (FC Barcelona)

On 31/01/2020 at 17:23, Vader said:

Before we start, here is an Honourable Mention

4955c4693d197e1029bc4b8deadb515b.png

31. Alfredo Morelos - Rangers - Colombia - 0 points

Currently playing his football at Rangers football club. Has become a fan favourite and joined from HJK of Finland in 2017.  In 82 appearances, he scored 44 goals . Currently linked to plenty of clubs but gaffer Steven Gerrard has publicly stated he's not interested in selling him.

He began his roots at Independiente Medellin, known as the second big Medellin side after Atletico Nacional. Though he only played 12 games with the senior team before moving to Finland for HJK in 2016. Not only that but he only scored 1 goal. More proof as to how moving abroad has become easier and easier as time goes on.

For the national team, he's only played 7 games but is starting to get geled into the side more and more after Falcao's departure or lack of form better said. He fights the spot with Duvan Zapata.

How does a guy with 0 votes get honorable mention? xD

973340f95899a12df1bf72176ac141ed.png

Joint 30. Juninho - Brazil - 1 Point

Juninho was a Brazilian footballer widely recognized for his successful stint at Olympique Lyonnais. Regarded by many as the best free kick taker of all time. Scored 77 free kick goals in his career and dominated Ligue 1 with his team much before the PSG and money dominance began.

He's neither a Paulista, Carioca or a Gaucho but he's actually from the north of Brazil in Recife. Started his career at Sport Recife but made his name at Vasco da Gama. Regardless he did go to Rio de Janeiro as the stepping stone. 

Honours

6a30fae36f09857a24e71e451724394d.png

d7301f57ba71c25a8c02b90cff1048c0.png

Notable Former Teammates

Karim Benzema (Lyon)

Romario (Vasco da Gama)

On 01/02/2020 at 09:17, Vader said:

Just a heads up, there is going to be a lot of joint spots in this due to the low votes we got. That's fine though, just to make it fair in every way.

I'm not surprised it was so spread. There are so many awesome footballers to choose from! 

Image result for diego lugano

Joint 21. Diego Lugano - Uruguay - 3 points

Known as the Diego Godin of before, Lugano was a very solid defender in his time. Spent most of his career in Turkey at giants Fenerbahce. He had a few failed stints in his career though within PSG and West Bromwich Albion. 

He started his career at Nacional of Montevideo. He won 2 titles at the club before moving to Brazilian giants in Sao Paulo. With them he won the Copa Libertadores of 2005 and also beat Liverpool in the Club World Cup final. He also won a Copa America with Uruguay and a 4th place finish in the 2010 World Cup.

2b2562024538d351a6b61ed9cf8d474c.png

Notable Former Teammates

Diego Forlan (Uruguay)

Grafite (Sao Paulo)

Ezequiel Lavezzi (PSG)

Just now, Stan said:

Lugano's a great shout. He didn't even cross my mind.

Such a varied career - Fenerbahce, West Brom & PSG xD 

To be fair, that was still a transition era in South America.

Nowadays there are very few of the best South Americans in their own continent. They all play in Europe's top clubs. However, you had players like Riquelme, Lugano or Salas who had varied careers in the 2000's decade. That or players who just didn't really have an interest of playing in Europe like Carlos Tevez.

I put this down to South American football still being great in the late 90's. It wasn't until Tevez left for Corinthians that our club football really dropped.

Just now, Cicero said:

Loved Lugano as a player. Met him back in 2008. Likable bloke too. 

Who else voted for him?

I think just you did mate. You put him in the middle which is 3 points.

Nice one, where abouts did you meet him?

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Carnivore Chris said:

Juan Arango - Was very underrated at Mallorca. Good player to watch and probably the best Venezuelan player I can remember seeing.

Was pretty good for Gladbach as well. 

Archived