talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Manchester United Discussion

football forum

Henry Winter, Chief Football Writer at The Times:

Glazers. Bored saying it. If leadership is not hands-on, things drift. Their obsession with money has changed focus at the club. There are many good people at United, hard-working and loyal staff, and your wonderful Foundation saves lives, but the Glazers have changed the culture. The balance needs to shift to football first. Marketing, merchandising, money is all very well, and helps pay the players’ wages, as well as the Glazer dividends, but the centre of the club has to be the dressing room not the marketing department. However warped the culture under the wretched Glazers, players still have to take individual responsibility. Too few did.

Oliver Holt, Chief Sports Writer for The Mail on Sunday:

They’re an easy target, I suppose, but the obvious answer here is the Glazers. Everything stems from the owners and it was them who persisted with Ed Woodward for as long as they did and presumably them who sanctioned the half-baked succession to Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. The disaster of 2021-22 also includes, as far as I’m concerned, the increasing disintegration of the infrastructure of the club. There are lots of promises being made about investing in the stadium but I’ll believe it when I see it.

James Ducker, Northern Football Correspondent at The Daily Telegraph:

Last season’s chaos felt like the culmination of years of mismanagement and the result was one big, toxic mess. The ultimate responsibility rests with the Glazer family and the former executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward, who presided over an utterly dysfunctional football operation. The appointment of managers with wildly differing styles of play and approaches, combined with a shambolic recruitment set-up, was always going to be a recipe for disaster and last season was the straw that broke the camel’s back.

The only upside of Ralf Rangnick’s calamitous six month interim reign is that the German had no qualms about exposing the scale of the problems. I found the entire Ole Gunnar Solskjaer experiment utterly bewildering, including the decision to extend his contract last summer, but in many ways his appointment underlined how abysmally the club has been run.

• Upvote 1

For me there's only one remedy for Man Utd and that's a VERY TOP name at the helm but the trouble is the top names are taken. Ten Hag has succeeded Ragnick but is he a higher profile coach? I'm not sure. When Poch was at Spurs I said that if he leaves we should get Ancelotti. I was mocked but look what he did last season and that's what Utd need. Klopp, Pep, Ancelotti or Conte. Certainly not Poch, he's not the man for Utd.

2 hours ago, Chickasaw said:

For me there's only one remedy for Man Utd and that's a VERY TOP name at the helm but the trouble is the top names are taken. Ten Hag has succeeded Ragnick but is he a higher profile coach? I'm not sure. When Poch was at Spurs I said that if he leaves we should get Ancelotti. I was mocked but look what he did last season and that's what Utd need. Klopp, Pep, Ancelotti or Conte. Certainly not Poch, he's not the man for Utd.

Totally wrong. 

We need to give a manager like Ten Hag time to build, currently he's having to deal with absolute dogshite players he's inherited. 

Fred, Dalot and Mctomminey have no place in the starting eleven of any club fighting for trophies. 

Also touching on Arnautovic, total disgrace. Ten years ago the Poundland Zlatan could have been an option but now, seriously. 

33, racist. 

Clubs gone to the dogs. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chickasaw said:

Ragnick was a snake oil salesman. I’ll take a progressive 3 time winner of the Dutch league over him.

I’m genuinely fucking fuming. Manchester United supporters are being taken for absolute fucking mugs. 

On Friday, Ten Hag said he only want players for the future to suit his needs. Arnautovic? 33 year old carthorse? Get in the fucking sea. 

Falcao, Ibra, Ighalo etc. Like Neville said, it’s a pattern and the Glazers are taking everyone for fools. I think you could see genuine full scale mass protests if this continues. What else can you do? 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

I’m genuinely fucking fuming. Manchester United supporters are being taken for absolute fucking mugs. 

On Friday, Ten Hag said he only want players for the future to suit his needs. Arnautovic? 33 year old carthorse? Get in the fucking sea. 

Falcao, Ibra, Ighalo etc. Like Neville said, it’s a pattern and the Glazers are taking everyone for fools. I think you could see genuine full scale mass protests if this continues. What else can you do? 

If you can't now then when can you?

2 hours ago, Devil said:

Totally wrong. 

We need to give a manager like Ten Hag time to build, currently he's having to deal with absolute dogshite players he's inherited. 

Fred, Dalot and Mctomminey have no place in the starting eleven of any club fighting for trophies. 

Also touching on Arnautovic, total disgrace. Ten years ago the Poundland Zlatan could have been an option but now, seriously. 

33, racist. 

Clubs gone to the dogs. 

I admire your optimism but ok, give him time.

7 hours ago, Chickasaw said:

I admire your optimism but ok, give him time.

What are you suggesting we sack another manager based on one loss? 

You have to give him time to build his own side. 

A lot has been said about the match yesterday and the Arnautovic transfer rumour has taken the attention off the players in my opinion. 

One thing I'd like to add, Sancho, what a complete waste of money he's been so far, a complete passanger again yesterday. Refuses to take a man on, looks short of pace and quality. He's getting a free pass currently because there is nobody challenging for his position. To be honest that's the case with so many. 

How Fred could look disappointed to come off. You know your shit when your shit midfield partner is on a yellow card, playing shit and yet you still get dragged off before him. 

1 hour ago, Devil said:

What are you suggesting we sack another manager based on one loss? 

You have to give him time to build his own side. 

A lot has been said about the match yesterday and the Arnautovic transfer rumour has taken the attention off the players in my opinion. 

One thing I'd like to add, Sancho, what a complete waste of money he's been so far, a complete passanger again yesterday. Refuses to take a man on, looks short of pace and quality. He's getting a free pass currently because there is nobody challenging for his position. To be honest that's the case with so many. 

How Fred could look disappointed to come off. You know your shit when your shit midfield partner is on a yellow card, playing shit and yet you still get dragged off before him. 

I don't see where I've suggested anything anywhere sacking Ten Hag after only one match, so no, I'm not suggesting that. What I'm saying is what I posted. IF Ten Hag isn't successful you'll have to try and lure a top name equivalent to Klopp or Pep, Ancelotti etc.............that's all.

Rabiot turned his nose up at us when we expressed interest (when we weren't in the CL) so not sure this will work.

Scattergun, calamitous and desperate. Nobody has a clue what they are doing. Not Ten Haag's fault, he needs time and backing but above him...ludicrous. It's like other teams and their players can have a real good laugh and just play United along when they go in for something.

Does Neville want to stand by his remarks that Conte was wrong for United because he doesn't get the precious, precious DNA? Does he want to look at Spurs and United now in terms of the transfer window, our best players and how they now feel and this season's potential? 

United do not need cretinous, odious creeps like the Glazer's, what they do need is someone totally hardheaded and practical who will put the club's best interests on the pitch first and who won't listen to a word these nostalgic-for-Ferguson ex pros say. 

I'm not sure how much evidence United need that McTominay and Fred are mid-table players at best and possess nowhere near the quality required. That they finished second a couple of years back when the only team in the league were City? Liverpool had an utterly freak list of injuries that proved their blip was a one-season disaster only,  Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal were in major states of flux and now those three teams have got their acts together to differing levels. Who is it that actually thinks McTominay and Fred will somehow take United where they want to go? 

Edited by Tar-Mairon
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

If this isn’t the sign that FDJ isn’t coming, I don’t know what is.

I don't think if we sign Rabiot it's a sign FDJ is not coming, although there are other signs that lean towards that outcome. We need to new midfielders to replace Fred and McTominay,  why not FDJ and Rabiot?

18 minutes ago, Redcanuck said:

I don't think if we sign Rabiot it's a sign FDJ is not coming, although there are other signs that lean towards that outcome. We need to new midfielders to replace Fred and McTominay,  why not FDJ and Rabiot?

Not saying I wouldn’t take it. Just can’t see it unfortunately.

8 hours ago, Tar-Mairon said:

Does Neville want to stand by his remarks that Conte was wrong for United because he doesn't get the precious, precious DNA? Does he want to look at Spurs and United now in terms of the transfer window, our best players and how they now feel and this season's potential? 

This makes zero sense. Conte would be working at United under Glazer ownership. Spurs already had a better team than United when he joined. Just how exactly was Conte going to do anything at United without the players he can utilise at Spurs? Conte WAS wrong for United at the time. He’d have lasted 6 months tops. Hell, he was halfway through the door at Spurs with a decent enough team at one point.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Not saying I wouldn’t take it. Just can’t see it unfortunately.

I am not saying it will happen either, just that if we sign Rabiot or Rodriguez of Real Betis, it's dosent mean we have given up on FDJ.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Redcanuck said:

it's dosent mean we have given up on FDJ.

To be fair, if FDJ saw yesterday's game and the players we have for starting 11, I am pretty sure he would rather get like 90% pay cut at Barcelona and save himself from any potential mental issues like falling into depression after few weeks at United.

• Haha 1