talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Unpopular Sports opinions

football forum

2 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

Most people’s problem with the American Football actually stems from the fact they just don’t understand it’s intricacies (imho). You can sit there and simply moan about the commercials (easy to find commercial free) but when it comes down to it, most casual watchers wouldn’t know a Middle Line Backer from a Corner Back. It’s taken me a good few years to learn about the various offence/defence packages available and how they set up. It’s definitely not an easy sport to get into but it’s so rewarding when you properly understand it.

I think this is true. It's pretty complicated. The different offensive/defensive formations (some of which have pretty weird names) were difficult for me to follow. Also every time someone said cornerback, I wasn't sure if they were saying quarterback or not because with some American accents I can never tell if anyone is using the letter T or not.

But I also think what @Eco said a bit about the social side of watching his uni team play and the BBQs and whatnot... I think that's also a big part of American football, the social side. And I say this as a foreigner to the US that moved to a city that recently lost it's NFL side & has a pretty shit (tbh) uni team - but I'd been to a few Chargers games while they were still in San Diego and tailgating was one of the best things about going. Well that and watching Peyton Manning's performance in a MNF game against the Chargers where he took the Broncos from being 24 points behind at half time to beating the home side. That was one of those performances where I feel most of the stadium recognised they were watching one of the all-time greats of the sport put in an absolutely legendary performance. I'm sad they took the team here away... but now I absolutely fucking hate the Chargers and wish them nothing but misery and failure. But even not going to the matches live... I think there's a big element of social engagement with American football watching culture in the US.

But the social aspect of watching football is a big part of why I started watching. I'd get invited to BBQs that would last pretty much all Sunday with the games going from morning to the night - so it's part about the sport and part about having a good time with your mates before Monday comes around and ruins everyone's week by making them go to work. I think that's especially true in San Diego where a huge population of transplants who've come from all over the US. It's probably a part of why the Chargers left San Diego, tbh, there's so many fans of other teams because that's where they're from or that's who their family grew up watching.

Imo American football is America's best sport. Partially because of the sport itself, partially because it's sort of a social thing for a lot of people.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think this is true. It's pretty complicated. The different offensive/defensive formations (some of which have pretty weird names) were difficult for me to follow. Also every time someone said cornerback, I wasn't sure if they were saying quarterback or not because with some American accents I can never tell if anyone is using the letter T or not.

But I also think what @Eco said a bit about the social side of watching his uni team play and the BBQs and whatnot... I think that's also a big part of American football, the social side. And I say this as a foreigner to the US that moved to a city that recently lost it's NFL side & has a pretty shit (tbh) uni team - but I'd been to a few Chargers games while they were still in San Diego and tailgating was one of the best things about going. Well that and watching Peyton Manning's performance in a MNF game against the Chargers where he took the Broncos from being 24 points behind at half time to beating the home side. That was one of those performances where I feel most of the stadium recognised they were watching one of the all-time greats of the sport put in an absolutely legendary performance. I'm sad they took the team here away... but now I absolutely fucking hate the Chargers and wish them nothing but misery and failure. But even not going to the matches live... I think there's a big element of social engagement with American football watching culture in the US.

But the social aspect of watching football is a big part of why I started watching. I'd get invited to BBQs that would last pretty much all Sunday with the games going from morning to the night - so it's part about the sport and part about having a good time with your mates before Monday comes around and ruins everyone's week by making them go to work. I think that's especially true in San Diego where a huge population of transplants who've come from all over the US. It's probably a part of why the Chargers left San Diego, tbh, there's so many fans of other teams because that's where they're from or that's who their family grew up watching.

Imo American football is America's best sport. Partially because of the sport itself, partially because it's sort of a social thing for a lot of people.

I went to a Giant/Angels game in San Francisco back in 2008 when I was there. I was completely shocked to find the stadium probably only 3/4 full and everyone else in attendance sat in bars/restaurants within the stadium watching the game on TV’s! I’m almost certain there was a basketball court in there as well 😂

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Formula 1 and motorsport is boring. Only interesting when  they crash. @nudge🙈

I can see why people who have no interest in it would think that, to be honest, even if I completely disagree. 

High speed,  high risk, small margins of error, close wheel to wheel racing, brave spectacular overtaking, hard defending and great racecraft in general can be very exciting to watch, especially in treacherous conditions. Strategy plays a big role too, bringing additional level of depth to the sport. And then there's also engineering which is a huge part of interest for many of those of us who are into motorsports. 

Also, watching motorsport on TV makes it much easier to follow the action on track, but attending races live raises it to a completely different level. The roaring sound of the engines, the smell of asphalt, tyres, fuel and oil, the electrifying atmosphere... It's quite an experience.

5 minutes ago, nudge said:

I can see why people who have no interest in it would think that, to be honest, even if I completely disagree. 

High speed,  high risk, small margins of error, close wheel to wheel racing, brave spectacular overtaking, hard defending and great racecraft in general can be very exciting to watch, especially in treacherous conditions. Strategy plays a big role too, bringing additional level of depth to the sport. And then there's also engineering which is a huge part of interest for many of those of us who are into motorsports. 

Also, watching motorsport on TV makes it much easier to follow the action on track, but attending races live raises it to a completely different level. The roaring sound of the engines, the smell of asphalt, tyres, fuel and oil, the electrifying atmosphere... It's quite an experience.

All sports are better once you know more about them. Sometimes you watch some sports for different. I sometimes watch baseball in the evening as I find it quite relaxing. Sports are a subjective thing no one is right or wrong I dont think 

I recently searched about the whole fighting thing in Ice Hockey and what a pointless thing to do in professional sports. 

There are far more brutal contact sports don't see the need for having a guy just for bawling to keep others safe. 

• Subscriber
13 hours ago, Khan of TF365 said:

I recently searched about the whole fighting thing in Ice Hockey and what a pointless thing to do in professional sports. 

There are far more brutal contact sports don't see the need for having a guy just for bawling to keep others safe. 

Absolutely true. Its just a thing thats engrained in the fabric of the sport. Its far less prevelent in the current game then it ever used to be but its a very hard thing to get rid of entirely. Theres been alot of debate around this in the last handful of years like say 5-10 years about getting rid of it entirely. Discovery of CTE and a push for mental health has been at the forefront, theres been a couple of ex NHL 'enforcers' that have commited suicide over the years - Derek Boogard (think that was ruled an accidentla overdose of drugs/alcohol) was a big one and he had his brain donated which (dont quote me im going from mostly memory here) they discovered early signs of CTE, the guy was only in his late 20's but he had been fighting his entire career. 

I thought I would hate American Football. But I love it, it’s great. It is so intense, no sport has every single play and moment be so crucial to the game. Every single down, snap, play, tackle, punt, goal, touchdown, could have game altering consequences. Not only does it all affect the game but it can a huge ripple effect on an entire season. 

And to the Europeans that hate the adverts, guess what? Your favourite team’s jersey is a whore billboard to a sponsor. It is so sad to see a Liverpool shirt or a Man United shirt (any shirt), with a big bloody ad on it. You could be forgiven for thinking it was Chevrolet United

1 hour ago, Viva la FCB said:

Absolutely true. Its just a thing thats engrained in the fabric of the sport. Its far less prevelent in the current game then it ever used to be but its a very hard thing to get rid of entirely. Theres been alot of debate around this in the last handful of years like say 5-10 years about getting rid of it entirely. Discovery of CTE and a push for mental health has been at the forefront, theres been a couple of ex NHL 'enforcers' that have commited suicide over the years - Derek Boogard (think that was ruled an accidentla overdose of drugs/alcohol) was a big one and he had his brain donated which (dont quote me im going from mostly memory here) they discovered early signs of CTE, the guy was only in his late 20's but he had been fighting his entire career. 

Concussions and CTE are higher in leagues with less fighting because guys have free reign to take huge on ice hits against skill players. Apparently concussion related injuries are super high in the Swedish league in particular, and they’ve banned fighting full stop. Punching very rarely end in concussions  because of awkward it is to fight on skates, it is hitting the ice or the boards that does it to em, all thta weight falling on top them, the brian jerking back and forward between a skull and hard ice.. There are a ton of enforcers that hated fighting , but did it because they knew  their Gretzky or Lemiuex would just get hacked and slashed into mincemeat, because try all you might you can’t take the urge of an open ice hit out of the game. We currently have thugs like Tom Wilson taking free reign on the ice because no one will knock him down a peg. He wouldn’t have smashed Panarin’s head into the ice if Marty McSorely was out there, he should have been banned for the rest of the season, that was just straight violent assault on a man. I don’t condone the violence  and I hate seeing people get injured, but I can appreciate that goons can act as a sort of deterrence and lightning  rod for the violence. I disagree with @Khan of TF365‘s assertion, hockey is the most dangerous contact aport outside of martial arts, player skate faster than running, ice is harder than turf, and checking someone onto the boards or ice is worse than tackling. 

Fighting is a problem in hockey, but for me the number one priority to fix is the hazing culture. Couldn’t believe some of the stories players like Dan Carcillo told, fighting on the ice is just violence and in most cases mutual, there isn’t much nuance. But the hazing is in sexual abuse territory, it is disgusting what some of the players and coaches do to each other, they are literal crimes, putting fucking deep heat on a hockey stick and molesting someone’s anus with it. Fuck that shit, that is jail time in my opinion. It actually sickened me to the point that I just stopped wanting to ever play the sport because at one time I was very interested in learning how to skate and how to play but I can’t abide by that sort of bizarre homoerotic machismo culture.

To continue, I bet Crosby will have CTE while Gretzky and Lemiuex won’t. Some of the runs people have taken at Crosby are sickening. Some players have no respect for players like Crosby, and they can just thrown into the meatgrinder and the NHL is too chicken shit to fix the problem. At least those players are disappearing and skill players are taking centre stage, Patrick Kane is lucky that for the longest time the Blackhawks kept some thug around on the bench to prevent those big hit concussions. 

On 29/09/2021 at 14:39, DeadLinesman said:

I went to a Giant/Angels game in San Francisco back in 2008 when I was there. I was completely shocked to find the stadium probably only 3/4 full and everyone else in attendance sat in bars/restaurants within the stadium watching the game on TV’s! I’m almost certain there was a basketball court in there as well 😂

That is because baseball games are fucking five hours long and they play 162 games a season. Fuck me dead mate, imagine if they played 162 innings to decide the ashes everytime it rolls around. 

28 minutes ago, Spike said:

That is because baseball games are fucking five hours long and they play 162 games a season. Fuck me dead mate, imagine if they played 162 innings to decide the ashes everytime it rolls around. 

I sat there with sun stroke watching the whole thing. It was epic.

• Subscriber
40 minutes ago, Spike said:

Concussions and CTE are higher in leagues with less fighting because guys have free reign to take huge on ice hits against skill players. Apparently concussion related injuries are super high in the Swedish league in particular, and they’ve banned fighting full stop. Punching very rarely end in concussions  because of awkward it is to fight on skates, it is hitting the ice or the boards that does it to em, all thta weight falling on top them, the brian jerking back and forward between a skull and hard ice.. There are a ton of enforcers that hated fighting , but did it because they knew  their Gretzky or Lemiuex would just get hacked and slashed into mincemeat, because try all you might you can’t take the urge of an open ice hit out of the game. We currently have thugs like Tom Wilson taking free reign on the ice because no one will knock him down a peg. He wouldn’t have smashed Panarin’s head into the ice if Marty McSorely was out there, he should have been banned for the rest of the season, that was just straight violent assault on a man. I don’t condone the violence  and I hate seeing people get injured, but I can appreciate that goons can act as a sort of deterrence and lightning  rod for the violence. I disagree with @Khan of TF365‘s assertion, hockey is the most dangerous contact aport outside of martial arts, player skate faster than running, ice is harder than turf, and checking someone onto the boards or ice is worse than tackling. 

Fighting is a problem in hockey, but for me the number one priority to fix is the hazing culture. Couldn’t believe some of the stories players like Dan Carcillo told, fighting on the ice is just violence and in most cases mutual, there isn’t much nuance. But the hazing is in sexual abuse territory, it is disgusting what some of the players and coaches do to each other, they are literal crimes, putting fucking deep heat on a hockey stick and molesting someone’s anus with it. Fuck that shit, that is jail time in my opinion. It actually sickened me to the point that I just stopped wanting to ever play the sport because at one time I was very interested in learning how to skate and how to play but I can’t abide by that sort of bizarre homoerotic machismo culture.

Yeah I dont disagree for the most part. I think its just seen as fighting is completely needless and getting rid of it will get rid of needless concussions and CTE related to it. How big a % is that is up for debate but isnt really the point. You're never eliminating concussions in the sport and the CTE that comes along with that I would imagine. I dont personally think the Wilson thing was that bad but I know im definitely in the minority - dont get me wrong Wilson is an idiot and done alot of dumb shit but if that play was anyone else i doubt it gets 1/4 of the publicity and outcry. I did find it entertaining to watch the first period of when they played next. Yes I know im a Hypocrite. 

One thing i will say as Ive played my whole life, all sorts of levels to from the bottom to the very top before junior and now mens league these days - dont get discouraged. If you want to learn to skate and play in your 30s go for it. What you've read and heard from Carcillo and others very much is a thing and definitely exists but mens league the only thing you have to deal with is pretty much what you deal with in any team or male dominated sport. 

57 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

Yeah I dont disagree for the most part. I think its just seen as fighting is completely needless and getting rid of it will get rid of needless concussions and CTE related to it. How big a % is that is up for debate but isnt really the point. You're never eliminating concussions in the sport and the CTE that comes along with that I would imagine. I dont personally think the Wilson thing was that bad but I know im definitely in the minority - dont get me wrong Wilson is an idiot and done alot of dumb shit but if that play was anyone else i doubt it gets 1/4 of the publicity and outcry. I did find it entertaining to watch the first period of when they played next. Yes I know im a Hypocrite. 

One thing i will say as Ive played my whole life, all sorts of levels to from the bottom to the very top before junior and now mens league these days - dont get discouraged. If you want to learn to skate and play in your 30s go for it. What you've read and heard from Carcillo and others very much is a thing and definitely exists but mens league the only thing you have to deal with is pretty much what you deal with in any team or male dominated sport. 

To be honest, if I lived in Canada I probably would. It's culturally relevant and loved by everyone, it's a rich kid's sport here in the USA, I don't think I can fit in that crowd.

Also never hit a bloke when he is down, what Wilson did to Panarin is breaking that code.

13 hours ago, Spike said:

I thought I would hate American Football. But I love it, it’s great. It is so intense, no sport has every single play and moment be so crucial to the game. Every single down, snap, play, tackle, punt, goal, touchdown, could have game altering consequences. Not only does it all affect the game but it can a huge ripple effect on an entire season. 

Well obviously if there are going to be so few intervals of actual play every second of it must count. It's not like Test Cricket or even a tactical football game where so much is happening even though nothing may seem to happening. 

International Cricket will become absolute or of very less significance in 20-30 years. 

There were fundamental problems with how the sport was ran, no central executive body, importance of playing surface being an exclusive thing than a unique aspect of the game like in tennis.

Why if one player is good in one particular condition it's seen something of being a lesser player? Nadal wins more on clay. Why winning in one particular condition is considered more of a thing than other? 

The internal politics have also killed the sport in South Africa, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Zimbabwe

Ultimately T20 leagues will be the main interest, only international cricket will be played at world championships with Ashes being a Superbowl like event in respective countries. 

2 hours ago, Khan of TF365 said:

International Cricket will become absolute or of very less significance in 20-30 years. 

There were fundamental problems with how the sport was ran, no central executive body, importance of playing surface being an exclusive thing than a unique aspect of the game like in tennis.

Why if one player is good in one particular condition it's seen something of being a lesser player? Nadal wins more on clay. Why winning in one particular condition is considered more of a thing than other? 

The internal politics have also killed the sport in South Africa, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Zimbabwe

Ultimately T20 leagues will be the main interest, only international cricket will be played at world championships with Ashes being a Superbowl like event in respective countries. 

Yeah that is India.

4 minutes ago, Spike said:

Yeah that is India.

Not really just about BCCI, as I mentioned about other things. I don't think Australia or England care about winning Tests in UAE ? While winning in these countries is like the pinnacle of the sport.

3 minutes ago, Khan of TF365 said:

Not really just about BCCI, as I mentioned about other things. I don't think Australia or England care about winning Tests in UAE ? While winning in these countries is like the pinnacle of the sport.

Why should anyone care about the UAE?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived