• Sign up free today!

    Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

Dirk Kuyt retires from Football

Recommended Posts

Dirk Kuyt, the former Liverpool forward, has retired from professional football, bringing a 19-year playing career to an end.

 

To retire as a Champion is a dream, Kuyt said.

 

 

 

Quote

 

Feyenoord captain Dirk Kuyt has announced his retirement, two days after his hat-trick sealed the Dutch club's first title since 1999.

The ex-Liverpool forward, 36, described securing the Eredivisie with Sunday's 3-1 win against Heracles Almelo as "the best moment" of his career.

Kuyt started at Utrecht, moving on to Feyenoord, Liverpool and Fenerbahce, before returning to Rotterdam in 2013.

"All my dreams have come true," said the former Dutch international.

Kuyt will remain at Feyenoord, with the club saying he will "focus on gaining a position" within their technical management team.

After making his Eredivisie debut for Utrecht in 1998-1999, he moved to Feyenoord five seasons later and went on to be their top scorer in each of his three seasons.

It attracted the attention of Premier League side Liverpool, who were believed to have paid about £10mto sign him in 2006.

He helped the Reds reach the Champions League final in his first season, but only managed to win the 2012 League Cup in his six-year spell at Anfield.

After three seasons at Turkish club Fenerbahce, who won the league and domestic cup during his time there, he returned to Feyenoord.

Last season he helped them win the Dutch Cup and then scored 12 goals during this season's league triumph.

"I knew when I came back two years ago that we could win the championship and everyone laughed at me when I said so," he said on Sunday.

Feyenoord technical director Martin Van Geel said: "We are unbelievably grateful for what Dirk has done over the past two years.

"With his attitude, professionalism and passion he has added a lot - in the locker room, on the field and beyond."

Kuyt also won 104 caps for the Netherlands, including a start in the 2010 World Cup final which they lost to Spain.

 

 

 

 

18447608_1524153550948623_65197161770473

 

Edited by VanPanna
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The relentless Dutchman. The guy just never stopped trying even when we were losing games. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Underrated winger, had a great career. Glad he got to win the title and be a hat trick hero right before retiring. One of Netherlands best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dickie said:

Underrated winger, had a great career. Glad he got to win the title and be a hat trick hero right before retiring. One of Netherlands best.

I wouldnt go that far, he wouldnt even get in the top 50 Dutch players of all time, but he has had a great career from hard work. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, VanPanna said:

I wouldnt go that far, he wouldnt even get in the top 50 Dutch players of all time, but he has had a great career from hard work. 

You don't think he was one of the better Dutchman wingers  of the last 20-30 years? Wasn't he called up over 100 times?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Dickie said:

You don't think he was one of the better Dutchman wingers  of the last 20-30 years? Wasn't he called up over 100 times?

No he isnt, but yea he was capped alot but doesnt mean he was one of the best, he was put in the team for his hard work and to help out, rather then to offer his ability.  If you want to talk about Wingers,  if you are talking about the last 20-30 years he isnt as good as the likes of Van Vossen, Overmars, Robben, Muhren, Roy, Ronald de Boer or even van der Meyde when he was at his prime for Ajax. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

One of the best looking players of all time.

Looking at photos of him. Let's just say that he got better looking as he got older; kinda grew into his middle wted face.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, VanPanna said:

No he isnt, but yea he was capped alot but doesnt mean he was one of the best, he was put in the team for his hard work and to help out, rather then to offer his ability.  If you want to talk about Wingers,  if you are talking about the last 20-30 years he isnt as good as the likes of Van Vossen, Overmars, Robben, Muhren, Roy or even van der Meyde when he was at his prime for Ajax. 

But doesn't hard work count? If we talk just about ability than Robinho is one of the best of all time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Spike said:

But doesn't hard work count? If we talk just about ability than Robinho is one of the best of all time.

Hard work of course is part of the team but he is like Ray Parlour when he was in the team with the likes of Bergkamp, Henry, Pires etc but he will never be seen as one of the best Arsenal midfielders but more of a cult hero like Kuyt. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of my favourite players to watch back in the Liverpool days. Never a boring game with him on the pitch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remember that shithouse hat trick he scored against Manchester United? I will never forget that day, 3 goals, each as bad as the last xD They all count though fergie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Tanksie said:

Remember that shithouse hat trick he scored against Manchester United? I will never forget that day, 3 goals, each as bad as the last xD They all count though fergie.

What I remember most was Carragher fucking up Nani 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Dickie said:

Underrated winger, had a great career. Glad he got to win the title and be a hat trick hero right before retiring. One of Netherlands best.

xD xDxD

Wow.

Cruyff, Van Basten, Bergkamp, Gullit, Koeman, Neeskens, Rep, Overmars, Rijkaard, Davids, Seedorf, the De Boer's...you get the idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, VanPanna said:

No he isnt, but yea he was capped alot but doesnt mean he was one of the best, he was put in the team for his hard work and to help out, rather then to offer his ability.  If you want to talk about Wingers,  if you are talking about the last 20-30 years he isnt as good as the likes of Van Vossen, Overmars, Robben, Muhren, Roy, Ronald de Boer or even van der Meyde when he was at his prime for Ajax. 

You would seriously take Van Vossen, Roy, Van der Meyde over him.... no shot in hell. I'll give you Overmars, Robben, Ronald De Boer. Muhren retired close to 30 years ago so he barely counts but I'd agree with him. I'll take the hard worker throughout the years past prime than the razzle dazzle of some of those players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Lucas said:

xD xDxD

Wow.

Cruyff, Van Basten, Bergkamp, Gullit, Koeman, Neeskens, Rep, Overmars, Rijkaard, Davids, Seedorf, the De Boer's...you get the idea.

No please go on name some more...  you named some players we all know I'm saying he was an underrated player and yes in the last 20 years he was. I never said he was on the level of Cruyff but to say he wasn't a great player is just wrong.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He wasn't a great player. A decent option for liverpool when they were at their lowest ebb. A very respectable player, probably a very respectable person as well and I enjoyed watching him play. But Arjen Robben is a great player. Mark Van Bommel was a great player. The Kuyts, De Jongs and Huntelaars of the world are not 'greats' just because they retire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Dickie said:

No please go on name some more...  you named some players we all know I'm saying he was an underrated player and yes in the last 20 years he was. I never said he was on the level of Cruyff but to say he wasn't a great player is just wrong.

Saying 'One of Netherland's Best' at the end of your quote, which by the way was the precise bit I emboldened and referred to, suggests you consider him in the elite bracket of top Dutch players. That to me would be an insult to some of those players who graced the pitch hence why I thought it was ludicrous to say that.

I certainly don't think the words 'great' and 'Kuyt' will come out of most people's mouth's but each to their own. We obviously look for different things when we identify great players...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kuyt will be rembered as a hard worker who was very fit and somebody that would always gave over 100% thats about it. He is not a typical Dutch player at all, many people in Holland describe him as an old fashioned English type of player. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Dickie said:

You would seriously take Van Vossen, Roy, Van der Meyde over him.... no shot in hell. I'll give you Overmars, Robben, Ronald De Boer. Muhren retired close to 30 years ago so he barely counts but I'd agree with him. I'll take the hard worker throughout the years past prime than the razzle dazzle of some of those players.

Yes as they were technical as I said Kuyt wasnt even a winger by trade, he was put there for hard work to help to track back.  Van der Meyde before his Everton move he was a quality player, one of the best of Ajax players who done so well in the champions league at that period. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Cannabis said:

One of the best looking players of all time.

I preferred him in Goonies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Harry said:

I preferred him in Goonies.

HEYYYY YOU GUYYYSSSS

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Much love for Dirk. His work rate and commitment were a huge credit to him and made him a huge asset to Liverpool. Its fantastic how he's carried on his career since then and a title in the netherlands, breaking a 20 year drought at a club close to his heart is a magnificent way to go out. 

Salut

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Advertisement