Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

football forum

Lionel Messi - To Leave Barcelona

Apparently he's actually given his notice officially that he wants to leave Barca... 

Good for him and Barcelona in the long run.

Where in the world could he go? 

Don't think he'd go back to Argentina or staying in Spain. I don't see him going to Germany or Italy, which leaves France (PSG?) or England (Manchester City?)

If that's the case, his only real option is Manchester City no? 

This is interesting. Messi had a clause in his contract that allowed him to leave on a free If he communicated the club until May 31st his intention to leave. 

Messi's lawyers are saying that as the season didn't end when it should have ended due to the pandemic, the clause still stands. 

So, in theory, Messi could leave for free. 

I'm not sure how this would be ruled, but at least this threat could force Barcelona to negotiate for a fee well below the 700 million euros release clause.

• Upvote 1

A front three of Neymar, Mbappe, and Messi would just be a nightmare. 

I'd be sad to see him at Manchester City or PSG, being empty husks of football clubs but might sacrifice the principles if we get to see him in England. Inter Milan/Juventus might have a chance.

Could use him as a back-up at Fortuna Düsseldorf. 

Only 2 clubs can realistically afford him you'd imagine - PSG and Man City?

His wages are probably far too much for Juve given they already have Ronaldo. 

The prospect of Messi going to Inter and dismantling the Juve dominance would be great. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Cicero said:

The prospect of Messi going to Inter and dismantling the Juve dominance would be great. 

at Napoli :x

6 minutes ago, God is Haaland said:

at Napoli :x

Inter would be a great shout, given the rebuild they are currently under. This team could realistically battle with Juve convincingly on all fronts. (just need to sort out the LWB position)

Solid tall and strong back line. 

Two energetic wing backs

Two defensive work horses in midfield. 

Would be a great side. 

Handanovic
Milinkovic -- De Vrij---Bastoni
Hakimi---------------------------------Dimarco
Tonali---Barella
Messi
Martinez---Lukaku

3 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Him going to some sort of underdog club would be perfect, highly unlikely though.

We need a replacement for Demarai Gray :ph34r:

Go back to Newells. Win over Argentina again. Become the 9th player (iirc) to win the Libertadores and Champions League.

If he goes to Manchester City, that would just be almost criminal, but I think @Stan is right, only them and PSG can likely afford him. I love the idea of him at Inter, I'm just not sure if they have the money afford him with all the spending done recently. 

Hell, just move to the MLS :ph34r:

Napoli would be interesting. Coked out living in a mansion with third-world living conditions just around the corner. Just like Maradona

• Upvote 1

Napoli is impossible when your owner is Aurelio de Laurentiis.

I prefer him at Newells than any club in Europe. Especially if it's a PSG or Manchester City,  fuck that.

Wonder what the going rate is now haha. I'm sure its not just PSG and City that are evaluating funds.

1 minute ago, Eco said:

If he goes to Manchester City, that would just be almost criminal, but I think @Stan is right, only them and PSG can likely afford him. I love the idea of him at Inter, I'm just not sure if they have the money afford him with all the spending done recently. 

Hell, just move to the MLS :ph34r:

Don't think he likes the idea of playing under Conte

Just now, Stan said:

Didn't know there were that many! 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_UEFA_Champions_League_and_Copa_Libertadores_winning_players

And it's more!

He'd be the 12th.

Miscounted then :7_sweat_smile:

And yeah it's quite a bit. It would be interesting to see though if they won it before or after their European stint. Neymar and Tevez won it prior. Ronaldinho won it after. It would be easy math but I am a bit lazy haha.

19 minutes ago, Eco said:

Where in the world could he go? 

Don't think he'd go back to Argentina or staying in Spain. I don't see him going to Germany or Italy, which leaves France (PSG?) or England (Manchester City?)

If that's the case, his only real option is Manchester City no? 

It's Messi. In my opinion, every big european club - except Madrid, I guess - should at least explore what they can do make it possible.

It looks like it will be a very ugly divorce. Barcelona are going to sue Messi to maintain the 700 million euros release clause.

The rumor flying around is that he had a call with Koeman and post that this whole thing started to gain more steam. Wonder if thats true and if so, what was said on that call. 

Just now, Mpache said:

Miscounted then :7_sweat_smile:

And yeah it's quite a bit. It would be interesting to see though if they won it before or after their European stint. Neymar and Tevez won it prior. Ronaldinho won it after. It would be easy math but I am a bit lazy haha.

Solari, Roque Junior, Dida, Cafu, Tevez, Neymar, Danilo, Samuel all won Copa before CL

Sorin, Ronaldinho, Rafinha all after Copa.

• Upvote 1

Just now, El Profesor said:

It's Messi. In my opinion, every big european club - except Madrid, I guess - should at least explore what they can do make it possible.

It looks like it will be a very ugly divorce. Barcelona are going to sue Messi to maintain the 700 million euros release clause.

If the lawyers can use the timeline to make the transfer legal then how will Barcelona sue Messi? There's no contract breach and the best they can do is broker a deal instead of getting left with nothing?

4 minutes ago, Mpache said:

Go back to Newells. Win over Argentina again. Become the 9th player (iirc) to win the Libertadores and Champions League.

I think he'd rather see out the remainder of his career on a Club that is challenging for top honors in Europe than to go back to a country that he, in no way shape or form, needs to 'win over'. 

1 minute ago, Mel81x said:

The rumor flying around is that he had a call with Koeman and post that this whole thing started to gain more steam. Wonder if thats true and if so, what was said on that call. 

Think as soon as Koeman was announced it was said that Messi would look to leave and was not happy.

I presume that call just re-affirmed his position of wanting to leave.

Have we considered he could also take a paycut? Unless PSG and City come knocking, it's definitely realistic. He's already won more than most to all people would, and it's clear he wants more sporting success. So depends on what he wants really. Of course, I am sure he still wants to be paid better than average.

football forum