talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Matchday Chat - 2016/17 season archive

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Stan said:

We can't get any kind of control in the game now. Won't be surprised if Palace go on to win it. 

Just about to type that, all the momentum with them now though I'd never write Leicester off.

• Administrator

Would have taken a 2-2 draw before the game and the way the game played out, satisfied with a point. Despite going 2 up, Palace were pretty clear in their tactics using Benteke as a focal point and it was only a matter of time before they scored. Thought Benteke fouled Benalouane for the 2nd goal and a lot of refs would have given it. It is what it is though and Palace will probably be the less happier of the teams.

Swansea and Hull losing. West Ham failing to win against Sunderland. Not a bad day for both sides to be honest in terms of how it is in the table. We're 9 points ahead of Swansea in 18th. 

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Aaroncpfc said:

Unlucky not to win that but there's no reason we can't move up the table if we keep these performances up

7 points from Chelsea, Arsenal & Leicester is very good going & just the kind of form you need to avoid relegation!

Wasn't convincing but thought we deserved the win there. 

Horrible opening 30. Scrappy and dull but we got our foot on the ball a bit more and calmed down. 

I love Ross Barkley. Please just offer him what he wants. 

Was impressed with Keane as well today. Lukaku made a pig out of him for his goal but aside from that he looked solid. Get him signed. 

• Administrator

Vincent Kompany gets a goal from a corner. Forster made a great save to force the corner, but should have done better to keep the header out. 0-1. 

• Administrator

Devastating counter attack from Man City. They've been comfortable all game and can't see Southampton coming back from this one. Sane almost passes it past Forster after being teed up by De Bruyne. 

Sexy times at St Mary's B|  ...De Bruyne assists his 13th goal of the season, Sane proves why he is the best winger in the league and total domination from Kompany, beast mode was activated, such a stronger team with the skipper commanding the defence

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

Sexy times at St Mary's B|  ...De Bruyne assists his 13th goal of the season, Sane proves why he is the best winger in the league and total domination from Kompany, beast mode was activated, such a stronger team with the skipper commanding the defence

apart from Bravo getting a bit brave with the ball in his 6 yard box, the defence definitely looked more calm and organised. Southampton had nothing against them. Amazing how much difference one man can make. Always rated Kompany so it's good to see him back. Hope he holds out til the end of the season.

Sane is quality. Such a good finisher for a winger, as well. Frightening how good he can be considering how young he is. 

• Subscriber

A stronger XI than I expected picked up a better result than I expected pre-match, but given we were 2 up I'm not happy we've not come away with a win.

We're usually very good at closing a game out but it was nowhere to be seen today. Conceding straight after going 2 up is what did it. Palace knocked and knocked and eventually got there, although the goal looked a foul.

I'd be interested to see their penalty calls again. They had no fewer than six penalty shouts for handball today. I'd be surprised if all six weren't penalties.

But in general Dean was absolutely awful, totally inconsistent.

I feel Palace probably edged the game, but not by enough that you could say a draw was unfair. Our midfield weren't in the game at all for me today. I think we missed Okazaki, as much as Ulloa had a decent game. He's such a weird one Okazaki, he's like the shield in front of our midfield xD

Today's result combined with Hull & Swansea losing has pretty much done us for the league campaign.

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Dan said:

I'd be interested to see their penalty calls again. They had no fewer than six penalty shouts for handball today. I'd be surprised if all six weren't penalties.

From memory, there was one against Albrighton which hit his chest and went out for a corner. The way Albrighton has moved his body to block the cross, I can understand why the appeals came about.

The other was Huth (?) blocking a cross by sliding near the byline. Much like Morgan against Liverpool couple season ago which was an absolute joke. Don't think it hit Huth's hand and if it did, there was no way it would have been intentional or that his arm would be in an unnatural position.

Not sure where the other 4 shouts come from xD 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Stan said:

From memory, there was one against Albrighton which hit his chest and went out for a corner. The way Albrighton has moved his body to block the cross, I can understand why the appeals came about.

The other was Huth (?) blocking a cross by sliding near the byline. Much like Morgan against Liverpool couple season ago which was an absolute joke. Don't think it hit Huth's hand and if it did, there was no way it would have been intentional or that his arm would be in an unnatural position.

Not sure where the other 4 shouts come from xD 

They had 6 different shouts for penalties for handball. It was mental. I remember thinking the Albrighton one was at the time as well.

Dean was awful with Ulloa. Couldn't believe my eyes at how little he gave him.

I think all things considered it isn't a bad result. The focus always was Tuesday though.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Dan said:

They had 6 different shouts for penalties for handball. It was mental. I remember thinking the Albrighton one was at the time as well.

Dean was awful with Ulloa. Couldn't believe my eyes at how little he gave him.

I think all things considered it isn't a bad result. The focus always was Tuesday though.

yeah we've done well with 2-2 given Palace's recent results. 

Think a lot of fans need to look at the bigger picture despite going 2 up. The way the game was panning out, Palace were scoring and getting something out of the game. And the fact that this game was sandwiched against 2 huge Champions League games with, like you say, the focus on those and fitness being a factor. We've done well to get a point out of it and we've not get any closer to the bottom 3 thanks to other teams' failures. 

And Ulloa was on the receiving end of some poor calls but they're minor. I was pleased with his impact. Decent touches which is unlike him but you could tell towards the last 15-20 mins of the match he was shattered and out of match practice. Should have done better with the chance he had in the box which he skewed wide. Same as Drinkwater in the final minute. Don't know why he went with his left foot!

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Stan said:

yeah we've done well with 2-2 given Palace's recent results. 

Think a lot of fans need to look at the bigger picture despite going 2 up. The way the game was panning out, Palace were scoring and getting something out of the game. And the fact that this game was sandwiched against 2 huge Champions League games with, like you say, the focus on those and fitness being a factor. We've done well to get a point out of it and we've not get any closer to the bottom 3 thanks to other teams' failures. 

And Ulloa was on the receiving end of some poor calls but they're minor. I was pleased with his impact. Decent touches which is unlike him but you could tell towards the last 15-20 mins of the match he was shattered and out of match practice. Should have done better with the chance he had in the box which he skewed wide. Same as Drinkwater in the final minute. Don't know why he went with his left foot!

Yeah they've been in form similar to ourselves. All considered it isn't a bad point.

I firmly believe if we hadn't have conceded so soon after going 2 up we would have gone on to win the game comfortably.

That Drinkwater chance was infuriating. Had so much time as well. I thought he looked improved when he came on though, and I want to see him in form again. I've defended him massively this season after not making the Euros squad (and no-one will ever convince me it was the right move) but he's been the weak link for a while now.

I think we need a midfielder either way in the summer. We're light there. Mendy clearly isn't fancied and King just doesn't cut it for me at this level. I'd keep King but he'd be 4th choice at most for me.

We're going to miss Huth on Tuesday. He's been excellent lately.

• Administrator

Wonder if Matty James will come back and stake a claim. We do need to strengthen in all areas - central defence, central midfield and we need better options in attack for different styles of play. And that our players are becoming OAPs xD 

• Subscriber
11 minutes ago, Stan said:

Wonder if Matty James will come back and stake a claim. We do need to strengthen in all areas - central defence, central midfield and we need better options in attack for different styles of play. And that our players are becoming OAPs xD 

I always thought James was a bit of a nearly player at this level. A bit of a jack of all trades, master of none kind of player. Outstanding Championship midfielder and definitely one of the best in it, but he didn't have any particular part of his game that stood out at this level.

I'd love to see him make a comeback though. Always came across to me a representative of everything I like about our dressing room. Clearly a popular player.

Barnsley fans absolutely rave about him.

I've noticed a lot of our 2013/14 side are doing well in the Championship this year. Knockaert's just bagged player of the season, Wood was in the top three (he's really surprised me actually and fair play to him), Nugent and Dyer both going strong. We had a cracking side for that level that year.

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Bournemouth looked shite today.

alternatively, Tottenham looked good as they have done recently. really enjoy watching them. style of play is perfect.

• The topic was unpinned
  • The topic was locked

Archived