talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

France Football's All-Time XI

football forum

16079699875023.jpg

Interesting team but I'd personally swap the Brazilian Ronaldo for Pele and have Cruijff where Pele is. 

Good to see Xavi get it there. 

These are who they had to contend with:-

Mejor delantero por la derecha: George Best, Etoo, Beckham, Figo, Jairzinho, Garrincha, Keegan, Matthews, Messi y Robben.

Mejor delantero centro: Bergkamp, Cruyff, Dalglish, Eusebio, Kocsis, Müller, Romario, Ronaldo, Van Basten y Weah.

Mejor delantero por la izquierda: Cristiano Ronaldo, Blokhin, Dzajic, Giggs, Henry, Rivaldo, Rivelino, Ronaldinho, Rummenigge y Stoichkov.

Centrocampistas defensivos: Bozsik, Busquets, Didi, Falcao, Gerrard, Gerson, Guardiola, Masopust, Matthaus, Neskens, Pirlo, Redondo, Rijkaard, Schuster, Seedorf, Luis Suárez, Tardelli, Tigana, Xabi Alonso y Xavi.

Centrocampistas ofensivos: Baggio, Charlton, Di Stéfano, Francescoli, Gullit, Hagi, Iniesta, Kopa, Kubala, Maradona, Mazzola, Pelé, Platini, Puskas, Rivera, Schiaffino, Sócrates, Totti, Zico y Zidane.

Portería: Gordon Banks, Thomas Nkono, Gianluigi Buffon, Peter Schmeichel, Iker Casillas, Edwin van der Sar, Sepp Maier, Lev Yashin, Manuel Neuer y Dino Zoff.

Lateral derecho: Giuseppe Bergomi, Manfred Kaltz, Cafú, Philipp Lahm, Carlos Alberto, Wim Suurbier, Djalma Santos, Lilian Thuram, Claudio Gentile y Berti Vogts.

Central: Franco Baresi, Bobby Moore, Franz Beckenbauer, Daniel Passarella, Fabio Cannavaro, Mathias Sammer, Marcel Desailly, Gaetano Scirea, Ronald Koeman y Sergio Ramos.

Lateral izquierdo: Andreas Brehme, Paul Breitner, Antonio Cabrini, Giacinto Facchetti, Junior, Ruud Krol, Maldini, Marcelo, Nilton Santos y Roberto Carlos.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • The title was changed to France Football's All-Time XI

Rijkaard should walk in to that team was a far superior player than Matthaus apart from winning a world cup, Rijkaard won far more in Club football.  It just seems France have just picked players based on World Cups apart from Messi and Ronaldo who have done fuck all in those competitions.

1 hour ago, SirBalon 69 said:

Rijkaard should walk in to that team was a far superior player than Matthaus apart from winning a world cup, Rijkaard won far more in Club football.  It just seems France have just picked players based on World Cups apart from Messi and Ronaldo who have done fuck all in those competitions.

I have to completely disagree, Matthaus was a much superior player to Rijkaard. Matthaus was awesome both at international level and at club level. At club level, Matthaus won 7 Bundesliga titles and numerous German cups. He won the Serie A title once as well. Matthaus also won the UEFA Cup twice, once with Bayern and once with Inter Milan, in an era when the UEFA Cup was arguably tougher than the Champions League. Because in those days you would have teams that finished 2nd, 3rd and 4th in the elite leagues enter the UEFA Cup. So invariably, one of these teams would be top of their domestic leagues the following season anyway. In terms of trophies, the only area where Rijkaard attained more is the number of European Cups(or Champions Leagues) he won. However ,Matthaus himself went so close to winning the Champions League in 1999, where Bayern were leading 1-0 in the final with 90 minutes played and then of course Man Utd came up with their two famous injury time goals. Ironically, Matthaus was subbed off very late in the match, but before Man Utd scored their two goals. Many argued that had Matthaus stayed on the pitch right until the end in his sweeper role, that Bayern would never have conceded both Man Utd injury time goals.

Rijkaard won two Serie A titles, but all the other league titles that he won, were with all due respect, in the much weaker Dutch league. As for international level, Lothar Matthaus absolutely destroys Rijkaard in terms of achievements and performances. Even if we look at their overall talent and skill level as well, I don't see how anyone can claim that Rijkaard was better than Matthaus. Lothar Matthaus was a much more complete player. If we compare both players at their peak, there is no competition. I say that with all due respect to Rijkaard, because yes, he was an excellent footballer. But Matthaus was clearly the better all round player, who was much more impactful in matches as well. Even when they were both playing in Serie A together, Matthaus was widely regarded as the superior footballer. Read up and you will find this to be the case.

Matthaus also had a very long football career, where he played club football at the top level for 21 years, whereas Rijkaard's career lasted 15 years. He inspired Germany to win the World Cup in 1990, where he was the best player at that tournament and he also won the European Championships with Germany in 1980. He would have also been a member of Germany's 1996 European Championship winning team, if he hadn't been ruled out because of injury, as he helped them to qualify. Matthaus was one of the greatest footballers of his era, there is plenty of online football footage and literature which will support this. Some would say that he was the best ever.

Lothar Matthäus - The Greatest Midfielder Of Football History - YouTube

22 minutes ago, Michael said:

I have to completely disagree, Matthaus was a much superior player to Rijkaard. Matthaus was awesome both at international level and at club level. At club level, Matthaus won 7 Bundesliga titles and numerous German cups. He won the Serie A title once as well. Matthaus also won the UEFA Cup twice, once with Bayern and once with Inter Milan, in an era when the UEFA Cup was arguably tougher than the Champions League. Because in those days you would have teams that finished 2nd, 3rd and 4th in the elite leagues enter the UEFA Cup. So invariably, one of these teams would be top of their domestic leagues the following season anyway. In terms of trophies, the only area where Rijkaard attained more is the number of European Cups(or Champions Leagues) he won. However ,Matthaus himself went so close to winning the Champions League in 1999, where Bayern were leading 1-0 in the final with 90 minutes played and then of course Man Utd came up with their two famous injury time goals. Ironically, Matthaus was subbed off very late in the match, but before Man Utd scored their two goals. Many argued that had Matthaus stayed on the pitch right until the end in his sweeper role, that Bayern would never have conceded both Man Utd injury time goals.

Rijkaard won two Serie A titles, but all the other league titles that he won, were with all due respect, in the much weaker Dutch league. As for international level, Lothar Matthaus absolutely destroys Rijkaard in terms of achievements and performances. Even if we look at their overall talent and skill level as well, I don't see how anyone can claim that Rijkaard was better than Matthaus. Lothar Matthaus was a much more complete player. If we compare both players at their peak, there is no competition. I say that with all due respect to Rijkaard, because yes, he was an excellent footballer. But Matthaus was clearly the better all round player, who was much more impactful in matches as well. Even when they were both playing in Serie A together, Matthaus was widely regarded as the superior footballer. Read up and you will find this to be the case.

Matthaus also had a very long football career, where he played club football at the top level for 21 years, whereas Rijkaard's career lasted 15 years. He inspired Germany to win the World Cup in 1990, where he was the best player at that tournament and he also won the European Championships with Germany in 1980. He would have also been a member of Germany's 1996 European Championship winning team, if he hadn't been ruled out because of injury, as he helped them to qualify. Matthaus was one of the greatest footballers of his era, there is plenty of online football footage and literature which will support this. Some would say that he was the best ever.

Lothar Matthäus - The Greatest Midfielder Of Football History - YouTube

I am not 5 years old so I do not need to watch a youtube videos or read online, I was born in the 80s and grew up with these players. Its my opinion that Rijkaard is better from what I have seen.    

Matthaus never won The European cup/Champions League not matter how close if and buts he didnt win it full stop! Plus the German league wasnt that strong.  The German league is of course stronger than the Eredivisie but Ajax were dominating in Europe.   Rijkaard won the the top club prize 3 times as a player as well as the  European cup with The Netherlands, the only thing he didn't win was a World Cup.   Ac Milan were the best team in the world at that time and everyone who played in the team said that Rijkaard was the key player.   

5 minutes ago, SirBalon 69 said:

I am not 5 years old so I do not need to watch a youtube videos or read online, I was born in the 80s and grew up with these players. Its my opinion that Rijkaard is better from what I have seen.    

Matthaus never won The European cup/Champions League not matter how close if and buts he didnt win it full stop! Plus the German league wasnt that strong.  The German league is of course stronger than the Eredivisie but Ajax were dominating in Europe.   Rijkaard won the the top club prize 3 times as a player as well as the  European cup with The Netherlands, the only thing he didn't win was a World Cup.   Ac Milan were the best team in the world at that time and everyone who played in the team said that Rijkaard was the key player.   

There is no need for the sarcastic reply, is there? The video was posted as some evidence of the man's class. It could also be a reminder to you, despite your age. You are entitled to your opinion, but we usually need to support our opinions when making a claim. There is loads of evidence online where we can compare the abilities of both players, not only that, but top football writers of the time, also give their opinions. You will invariably find that most of them will rate Matthaus at a much higher level than Rijkaard and again, that is no disrespect to the Dutchman.

So you seem to be claiming that because Matthaus never won the Champions League, Rijkaard is therefore superior because he did win the Champions League. I thought that we are talking about players abilities? As I have pointed out, if we are talking about achievements, Matthaus's achievements are superior to Rijkaard's. He won the World Cup, European Championship, UEFA Cup, Bundesliga title, Serie A title, many club cup competitions. Players don't come much more highly decorated than that. Ok so he didn't win the Champions League, but he did come within 2 minutes of winning it and yes, that is relevant, because it is a part of historical fact.

The German League was among the strongest league throughout the 80's and 90's, you are mistaken when you say that it wasn't that strong. The German Bundesliga was arguably not as strong as Serie A during the late 80's and early 90's, I would agree with that, but it was still one of the strongest in Europe. Incidentally, Matthaus was actually playing in Serie A in the late 80's early 90's. During the mid to late 90's though, the Bundesliga became increasingly strong, which paved the way to how strong it is today, where many would claim it is the strongest. 

The fact that Ajax were dominating Europe in the mid-90's just goes to show how easy winning the Dutch league title was for them. Moreover, that Ajax team of the mid-90's was stacked with great footballers, it wasn't like Rijkaard was their standout player or anything. The proof of this is that Ajax won the 1995 Champions League with Rijkaard playing for them, narrowly winning 1-0 in the final. Rijkaard retired from football that season. The very next season, Ajax reached the Champions League final again, this time without the retired Rijkaard, and Ajax lost on the lottery of penalties in the final. So the point being that Ajax had a great team with or without Rijkaard. These are facts my friend.

You claim that at AC Milan "everyone who played in the team said that Rijkaard was the key player". I am not so sure that you have got all the player's claims on him, but in any case, he may have been a key player, but he certainly wasn't their best player. He had an important role to play at the club when he was there, no doubt. But there were other players at the club at the time during that era, who I would class as more talented and impactful footballers. Van Basten or Gullit to name a couple.

Moreover, Lothar Matthaus was the undisputed best player for Inter Milan when he played for them, he was the undisputed best player for Bayern during the 80's and arguably up until the mid 90's. He was also the best player for West Germany/Germany up until the mid 90's as well. Matthaus spent 20 years of his career performing at the highest levels of football, in the toughest of competitions. He spent these 20 years playing in the Bundesliga plus Serie A at club level, as well as at the World Cup and European Championships at international level.  Rijkaard on the other hand, only spent 5 seasons of his career in Serie A, the rest was mostly spent in the much more relatively weaker Dutch league. Sure Rijkaard also found success at international level by winning Euro 88, but his achievements at international level are dwarfed by Matthaus's achievements at international level. 

When one thinks of the the Inter Milan team of the late 80's and early 90's, Matthaus is the first player that comes to mind to most football aficionados. The same applies to the Bayern team of the 80's and 90's or the German(also West German) team of the 80's and 90's. Rijkaard is not the first name that comes to mind when I think of Ajax and AC Milan teams of the 80's and 90's, nor the Dutch national team of that era either. Most experts will name other players first, when eulogising about those great sides. Rijkaard was a great player in his own right, there is no doubt about that, but Matthaus was clearly the superior all round footballer.

In fact can you name me what Rijkaard could do better than Matthaus? Matthaus was quicker, he was a better dribller, he had a better shot on him, he was a better passer of the ball in my opinion and his tackling was superb as well. I am really struggling to think of what Rijkaard could do better than Matthaus...perhaps Rijkaard was better in the air, because yes, Matthaus was always a bit of a short cu*t, that's true! xD

On 14/12/2020 at 20:00, Cicero said:

Yev Yashin

Djalma Santos---Gaetano Scirea---Franco Baresi----Paolo Maldini

Lothar Matthäus

Diego Maradona------Alfredo Di Stéfano

Lionel Messi--------------------------------------------------Cristiano Ronaldo

Pelé

Real Madrid fans going mad about Zidane not in there. But it's not exactly an easy one in fairness.

9 hours ago, Steve Bruce Almighty said:

Pele in centre mid. Looks like the kind of team that would get beat by a Celebrity XI. :ph34r:

Got to have Pele as your striker.

Pele is the man of 1,500 goals, as a striker, even though 763 of those were scored while having a kick about in Santos park, using jumpers as goal posts.

8 hours ago, Carnivore Chris said:

Real Madrid fans going mad about Zidane not in there. But it's not exactly an easy one in fairness.

Got to have Pele as your striker.

Pele is the man of 1,500 goals, as a striker, even though 763 of those were scored while having a kick about in Santos park, using jumpers as goal posts.

Well I scored 5400 goals past my Nan in her back garden! 

Archived