• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Wolves 2-1 Chelsea - Tuesday 15th December, 2020

football forum

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Chelsea were making me wonder about the title. Two defeats in a row though and not to their likely direct rivals, I'm back to thinking I can't see past Liverpool. They're worse off than last season but the standard we've seen from the last two title winning sides isn't the norm anyway. Liverpool are still the best team. Man City are still in the mix but there's something off about them this season. A clear lack of goals and the way they approached the derby game at the weekend, it was almost as if Pep thought they're know better than Man Utd. They don't look like the peak Guardiola side who looked as if they smelt blood in every game.

Certainly an odd season so far, interesting though.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I don't think Well Fed Frank's a bad manager either - just a bit of a novice (and he's learning on the job better than some of his competitors so... there's that too).

Well that was one of the negatives if you like about coming in when he did... not much experience in the job prior to that, as you say he is still learning and it's forgivable to a degree but I just don't see Lampard as being a tactical Manager full stop... The team also lacks a leader, someone who can drive players on..  also our tempo stays pretty much the same and in games where we are well on top nobody notices but in games like this and Everton it's very noticeable how timid we are... 

Just now, RandoEFC said:

Chelsea were making me wonder about the title. Two defeats in a row though and not to their likely direct rivals, I'm back to thinking I can't see past Liverpool. They're worse off than last season but the standard we've seen from the last two title winning sides isn't the norm anyway. Liverpool are still the best team. Man City are still in the mix but there's something off about them this season. A clear lack of goals and the way they approached the derby game at the weekend, it was almost as if Pep thought they're know better than Man Utd. They don't look like the peak Guardiola side who looked as if they smelt blood in every game.

Certainly an odd season so far, interesting though.

If Spurs have Kane and Son healthy all season, they'll be contenders for sure.

The way the two of them connect just reminds me of Gerrard & Torres or Lampard & Drogba. One of those pairings game very close to winning the title, the other one did... multiple times.

I think this season's wide open. It only takes a few bad results from any of the current "contenders" to have them looking like they're not contenders anymore - there isn't a big gap really between the sides looking at the top of the table and those that are hopeful for Europe.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

If Spurs have Kane and Son healthy all season, they'll be contenders for sure.

The way the two of them connect just reminds me of Gerrard & Torres or Lampard & Drogba. One of those pairings game very close to winning the title, the other one did... multiple times.

I think this season's wide open. It only takes a few bad results from any of the current "contenders" to have them looking like they're not contenders anymore - there isn't a big gap really between the sides looking at the top of the table and those that are hopeful for Europe.

Yeah, I didn't omit Spurs on purpose. I think some people are sort of laughing them off with the lazy "Mourinho's finished" and "lads it's Spurs" logic.

I just think Liverpool still have a base level of performance where an average performance is still enough to get past most sides, but the likes of Spurs, Man City and Chelsea will get punished by that Wolves/Everton/Southampton group of sides when they have an average performance.

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, Cicero said:

We won't. We've said it since August we wouldn't. We know our team and the nativity that still lies deep within both the squad and manager. Two back to back defeats accompanied by appalling performances against sides that were missing key players. Utterly unacceptable at any level. How on earth do you go from Sevilla + Leeds to that? We stupidly played into Everton's hands and now we pathetically allowed Wolves to grow into the game.....when that's the basis of their success. 

Wow. Questions need to be asked. I said we wouldn't challenge but I also said a comfortable Top 4 finish was the bare minimum for Frank. 

Yes. As a LF, not a LW. 

Fair enough. 

I think you'll be the closest challengers to Spurs and Liverpool though. 

As for the bold, I know it's Christmas but come on... 

5 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Chelsea were making me wonder about the title.

xD I think we have made it pretty clear we won't be winning it.. not much left to wonder about.. 

Games like this and Everton are always round the corner for us and some people are getting carried away with a good run of results but this is us in a nutshell when faced with some adversity and a Manager that can't tactically change that around.. 

Sums up our performance when we can fail to have a single shot on goal in the first 45 minutes and we only managed 3 shots on goal against Everton for the full 90 despite all that talent on the pitch and if teams go at us we are essentially a non threat, just a passing side 

22 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Sums up our performance when we can fail to have a single shot on goal in the first 45 minutes and we only managed 3 shots on goal against Everton for the full 90 despite all that talent on the pitch and if teams go at us we are essentially a non threat, just a passing side 

Our pressing is also dead when Tammy isn't on the pitch. We practically let Wolves grow into the game. 

2 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Timo "The worm" Werner doesn't do top sides. He does 3 vs Norwich. But it's okay, because Cicero said thats where they needed to improve. 

At least @ me you pussy. 

The day Werner plays ST consistently and produces those same numbers will be the day I will submit. 

Chelsea seem to have bought a lot of players that play the same position or for positions they already had decent players to start with? Not really balanced the squad. Havertz for instance seems surplus already (although very young). Seems he was bought because of his potential and not because he was needed?

Could be wrong like. 

6 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Chelsea seem to have bought a lot of players that play the same position or for positions they already had decent players to start with? Not really balanced the squad. Havertz for instance seems surplus already (although very young). Seems he was bought because of his potential and not because he was needed?

Could be wrong like. 

I said this before a ball was kicked. You've cottoned on mate!

14 minutes ago, Cicero said:

At least @ me you pussy. 

The day Werner plays ST consistently and produces those same numbers will be the day I will submit. 

@Cicero You bought a piece of shit. He can't finish, he can't dribble. He's fast.

He can't lead a line as your man up front as he lacks the physical presence and hold up play, but he's a poor mans winger as he's not great at going past players. Yes, you'd have more out of him if you played 2 up front with Giroud next to him for knock downs, and striker to striker through balls ( like Kane for son, but worse) 
But you don't have the midfield to play 2 up front. Because Lampard has purchased 100 attacking minded midfielders. 

8 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Could be wrong like. 

Lampard wanted him, so its up to him to find a way to fit our most expensive signing ever.

In terms of balance, we have one of the best defence and attacks in the league. The issue we are seeing now is the same thing we saw last season. Naivety in the squad and how we approach games. (pathetically succumbing to Everton's game plan and allowing Wolves to get into the game) 

1 minute ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

@Cicero You bought a piece of shit. He can't finish, he can't dribble. He's fast.

He can't lead a line as your man up front as he lacks the physical presence and hold up play, but he's a poor mans winger as he's not great at going past players. Yes, you'd have more out of him if you played 2 up front with Giroud next to him for knock downs, and striker to striker through balls ( like Kane for son, but worse) 
But you don't have the midfield to play 2 up front. Because Lampard has purchased 100 attacking minded midfielders. 

Again, I can't really accept anything you say without seeing Werner play a stretch of games in a position he was initially brought here to play. He's being asked to do things he simply doesn't have the abilities for as a winger. 

2 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Lampard wanted him, so its up to him to find a way to fit our most expensive signing ever.

In terms of balance, we have one of the best defence and attacks in the league. 

You were saying the other day that lack of players who can play wide is killing your play, and that you have too many players that want to play centrally?

4 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Again, I can't really accept anything you say without seeing Werner play a stretch of games in a position he was initially brought here to play. He's being asked to do things he simply doesn't have the abilities for as a winger. 

If he was bought to play in the position you say he was brought in for... then why isn't he being played there? 

Why is he being asked to do things he doesn't have the ability to do?

It just doesn't make sense unless Lampard is slightly clueless?

9 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

You were saying the other day that lack of players who can play wide is killing your play, and that you have too many players that want to play centrally?

Pulisic, CHO, and Ziyech all got injured at the same time. We only had Havertz and Werner operating the wings. 

6 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

If he was bought to play in the position you say he was brought in for... then why isn't he being played there? 

Why is he being asked to do things he doesn't have the ability to do?

It just doesn't make sense unless Lampard is slightly clueless?

Pulisic being made of glass isn't helping the situation. But Luke already mentioned that Werner should be playing at ST with CHO at LW when he was fit. 

It's a mixed bag with Frank. Jury is still out until the end of the season. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived