talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League 2020/21 Matches - 28-30th December, 2020

football forum

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Everton game off then??? What happened there?? 

More COVID cases in the Man City squad. Interestingly they played Newcastle on Saturday who themselves have had a lot of COVID cases. 

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Man City are going to end up with a serious problem here. Jesus and Walker tested positive on 24th/25th. More players have tested positive since. If they follow procedure and all players in question do the 2 week isolation period, and they currently have too many Covid cases to play, then that's going to be it for Chelsea and probably Man Utd in the Carabao Cup as well which both land within that two week period.

• Subscriber
Just now, Bluewolf said:

That's a shocker that he has got it... we all know his reputation for rule breaking during covid.. 

Well if the players and the club have breached the Covid restrictions in any way then they should have to forfeit the games. Leyton Orient had to forfeit their game against Spurs when they couldn't play.

Sorry, but Premier League clubs should have little to no positive tests in their squads and coaching teams. You make sure the players are following the strictest of guidelines and heavily fine them for any breaking of those guidelines. One months wage will fucking teach these ignorant players. They all have plenty of money to live with strict guidelines.

Any club who have an outbreak like this need to have the games forfeit, because it’s a pisstake. 

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Man City are going to end up with a serious problem here. Jesus and Walker tested positive on 24th/25th. More players have tested positive since. If they follow procedure and all players in question do the 2 week isolation period, and they currently have too many Covid cases to play, then that's going to be it for Chelsea and probably Man Utd in the Carabao Cup as well which both land within that two week period.

What if they test negative though?

• Subscriber
Just now, Stan said:

I don't know what the rules are. I know there have been other cases where players have returned in less than 14 days because they returned multiple negative tests. 

The League Cup one is particularly awkward as Leyton Orient were made to forfeit a fixture they couldn't fulfil. They can't then go and give Man City a deferral if they can't field enough players against Man Utd.

3 minutes ago, Stan said:

Makes me wonder how this all works in practice.... If you identify players that have a positive test then they have to isolate for 14 days but other players are cleared then why are they not playing??? or are they just saying that if one or more players get it then we are going to stop all players from playing regardless?? 

You can't tell me that City are unable to cobble together a team for this fixture, think it's pretty piss poor in all honesty... If they are testing every game then you just need to exclude any players testing positive until you run out of players then you would have to forfeit.. 

• Administrator
Just now, Bluewolf said:

Makes me wonder how this all works in practice.... If you identify players that have a positive test then they have to isolate for 14 days but other players are cleared then why are they not playing??? or are they just saying that if one or more players get it then we are going to stop all players from playing regardless?? 

You can't tell me that City are unable to cobble together a team for this fixture, think it's pretty piss poor in all honesty... If they are testing every game then you just need to exclude any players testing positive until you run out of players then you would have to forfeit.. 

With the amount of money Man City have spent and the huge volume of players they have on their books it's amazing it's only taken 5 players to get a game called off. Unless they're waiting on test results on the rest of the whole squad and can't put them forward for the squad. If that's the case then I can give them some lee-way - it's like going to the pub or anywhere when you're waiting for a test results - it's wrong considering the potential for it to be positive and pass it on to anyone else in a game perhaps.

4 minutes ago, Stan said:

With the amount of money Man City have spent and the huge volume of players they have on their books it's amazing it's only taken 5 players to get a game called off. Unless they're waiting on test results on the rest of the whole squad and can't put them forward for the squad. If that's the case then I can give them some lee-way - it's like going to the pub or anywhere when you're waiting for a test results - it's wrong considering the potential for it to be positive and pass it on to anyone else in a game perhaps.

I would be interested to know how and when they test players in relation to games coming up... Do they test during training or the day before a game?? Don't the clubs have a 24hr turnaround for results?? 

2 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Negative tests aren't a 100% guarantee you don't have the virus, and say nothing of what happened after you gave the sample. With so many players testing positive in multiple waves, there's a good chance there are more undetected cases in the squad. With that and the extra-virulent new strain, I think they're being extra cautious.

13 minutes ago, Redcanuck said:

I thought you had to play if you could field 14 players including your under 23 players who aren't considered first team players?  If City players have violated the covid guidelines, they need to forfiet this game.

Completely agree if they've violated the guidelines, but is there any evidence they have in this case?

• Subscriber

If this is true, and there's no reason to believe that it isn't, then I imagine we haven't heard the end of this. Hope the club don't roll over on it. Cancelling the game on such short notice should be taken into account as well.

2 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

If this is true, and there's no reason to believe that it isn't, then I imagine we haven't heard the end of this. Hope the club don't roll over on it. Cancelling the game on such short notice should be taken into account as well.

If that’s true then I’d like to see some real punishment for City. How has this ended up happening merely hours before? Surely the players were tested yesterday? 

32 minutes ago, Rick said:

Sorry, but Premier League clubs should have little to no positive tests in their squads and coaching teams. You make sure the players are following the strictest of guidelines and heavily fine them for any breaking of those guidelines. One months wage will fucking teach these ignorant players. They all have plenty of money to live with strict guidelines.

Any club who have an outbreak like this need to have the games forfeit, because it’s a pisstake. 

I'd imagine there's going to be more outbreaks over the next couple of months and could happen to any club

Should just postpone the league until April/May when Van Dijk is back:ph34r:

10 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

Negative tests aren't a 100% guarantee you don't have the virus, and say nothing of what happened after you gave the sample. With so many players testing positive in multiple waves, there's a good chance there are more undetected cases in the squad. With that and the extra-virulent new strain, I think they're being extra cautious.

Completely agree if they've violated the guidelines, but is there any evidence they have in this case?

We don't know at the moment, but they should be able to trace where it started and be able to find out if any of their players or staff have violated guidelines.

5 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

See how quickly Villa tried to break from the corner once the keeper had the ball, compare that to how we held on to the ball with Mendy and allowed Villa to get back rather than trying to break out as soon as possible..  

Recycle possession has been the fundamental basis of Lampard's system. Genuinely frustrating. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived