• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League 2020/21 Matches - 28-30th December, 2020

football forum

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

We seem to have gone back to how we were last season... Plenty of the ball but no creativity, when chances come we are not clinical and still prone to blunders at the back... Struggling to see where we can go from here.. 

Saw a post recently that is becoming more and more true as the season progresses. 

The creativity we saw last season was down to Jody and the understanding from working with our youth players already before. With new upgrades into the side, neither Jody nor Lampard have a club. 

Going to have to write this season off with results like this and Arsenal.. no chance we will finish in the top 4 at this rate let alone challenge for something.. I expected that we might improve as players settled and got used to each other but it's going in the complete opposite direction.. 

Out of his depth. Genuinely.

One game plan and one game plan only. Shift to the wide and deliver a cross. What happened when Giroud was taken out for Werner? Recycle possession backwards, play it wide and kept tossing balls into the box expecting Timo Werner to head them in....It's just clueless football and I said months ago that this period in particular would give us a better understanding of Lampard as a manager. Clueless football and utterly clueless on how to handle our new signings. 

Last season's accomplishments looking to be a result of the understanding Jody has with our youth players and Giroud & Pulisic individually saving our 2nd half of the season. 

Ok... 

So we knew from the outset that Lampard was lacking the experience required to manage a club that spends this kind of money on talented players and he was always going to be a bit of a gamble.. In a lot of ways he suits Chelsea, not too controversial, promotes the youth and has very few if any conflicts with the powers that be.. From a fan perspective it's good that a player who served the club with distinction has come in to manage the club he played for but again like I said it was a gamble, I did feel back when he was appointed that I felt it was too soon for him to be at this level but people can surprise you so we had to wait and see... 

First season he was up against it a bit with a fairly decent squad but no way of improving it so turned to the youth.. It was forgivable that we could have struggled a bit in his first season, we could all see the pros and cons, great possession stats but lacking any inventiveness, creativity and that killer instinct up front coupled with an appalling defensive record.. The early games of this season showed a lot of promise with our signings and he even managed to bolster the one area we felt had been neglected ( the defence  ) It was all  a bit hit and miss to start with then they settled down a bit and were showing signs of improving and keeping clean sheets, this however has not lasted long and I now feel we are right back to where we started last season.. lacking creativity, lacking any intensity and certainly lacking that killer instinct in front of goal, Harvertz who was brought in to add some of that missing creativity has struggled to find his feet and Werner has turned into the new Morata or dare I be so cheeky as to say the new Torres... 

In fairness to Lampard it's only his second season and it took Klopp 5 seasons from joining Liverpool to getting them the Premier League Title and he came with bundles of experience prior to that job having spent the best part of 15 years in the Bundesliga.. Are we calling it too early?? The only real worry for me is that he is not a tactical manager, he is a flair manager relying on as many attacking options as possible to try and bamboozle the opposition but when that fails and clubs just sit and defend he has no plan to overcome it and for the long term I don't think he is the manager to get the best out of these players... 

I think there is a danger that as fans are becoming a little like Abramovich with our expectations though.. A little impatient at the lack of progress or when the wrong kind of results start coming in when we all knew he could well come up short... Anyway, regardless of how we feel about things it will be the club that decides his fate and it seems for now at least being an X club legend does allow some slack on the old noose... How long before that's all tightened up remains to be seen

8 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

Won't happen... We will do our usual and pull out all the stops after that dreadful Arsenal performance as if to prove a point and then everyone will be Chelsea back on track etc... Then we will go on and lose against City

tenor-4.gif.3bd9af8320bf276f98ca1e62f78d50a0.gif

2 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

I think there is a danger that as fans are becoming a little like Abramovich with our expectations though.. A little impatient at the lack of progress or when the wrong kind of results start coming in when we all knew he could well come up short... Anyway, regardless of how we feel about things it will be the club that decides his fate and it seems for now at least being an X club legend does allow some slack on the old noose... How long before that's all tightened up remains to be seen

Tbh I think that happened pretty shortly after the first time Roman sacked Mourinho. Not so much on here, because we've got some of the most level headed Chelsea fans on the internet on this forum somehow. But Chelsea fans always put the pressure on managers to deliver imo - and it's sort of the culture of the club at all levels now. The club needs to perform (even if it's due to players just downing tools) and if they don't, pretty much at all levels everyone seems to expect the axe to fall.

I've got mixed feelings on it. I think if you're appointing a manager for the long term... you've got to be willing to back them for the long term. And after he did pretty decently with a transfer embargo (of the club's own doing, with the way Chelsea used to operate, maybe the way it still does operate, it's youth side - more as a way to generate money than to promote players into the side), it seems weird to cut ties after letting him spend a shitload of money.

At the same time, I do think it was sort of a stupid appointment for a club like Chelsea. There's big pressure from so many angles for Chelsea to get immediate success... is that really a job you want to give to someone with incredibly limited managerial experience. And Chelsea was in fact his first top flight job. I think he's avoided SOME pressure because he's Frank Lampard - Chelsea legend and media favourite.

But having the media on his side can be a double-edged sword, on the one-hand it keeps away unwanted pressure that might get into a manager's head or a team's head. But on the other hand, it can act to just stop justifiable complaints Chelsea fans may have... and because all the media faces defend Lampard, other fans start thinking "wow these Chelsea fans are real knobs. Why won't they respect the managerial greatness of Fat Frank?" - I've seen that first hand with the Hodgson debacle with us.

I think maybe the job was too big for Lampard... but surely the people in charge at Chelsea knew that and were willing to do what they could to help him grow into the job. So imo, they should back him and be patient with the hiccups he's experiencing. I think it's unreasonable to expect him to be a perfect Chelsea manager 2 years into the job considering how green he is. At the same time, football's a business and sometimes tough decisions need to be made to protect the future of the business.

Glad it's not my decision to make, tbh. Because if it was my decision to make, I'd probably be wanting to sack Marina (or whatever her name is) along with Fat Frank and clean house a bit. Because appointing Frank Lampard and expecting immediate success was probably not a smart idea and I'm not sure I'd trust that person to make smart ideas anymore.

But I don't think Roman will sack her so... good thing it's not my decision to make.

20 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

And yet it’ll be Solksjaer still under the microscope when we come unstuck in a few games time. Golden Frank gets a free pass with everyone not associated with this forum. More media chums than Murdoch.

I still think Solksjaer is eating off of the back of Rashford and Fernandes but how his job is bigger news than Lampard considering the mammoth amount Chelsea spent in the Summer is beyond me

• Subscriber

The Premier League need to publicise the criteria that's used to determine whether or not a game goes ahead pretty urgently. I can only assume that Man City had less senior players available than this. An outbreak at Fulham as well and 18 positive tests across the league yesterday. If they don't want to be accused of treating clubs inconsistently they need to explain why some games have been postponed like with Newcastle and Man City but not in the case of Sheffield United. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived