talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Copa America 2021 FINAL: Argentina 1 - 0 Brazil

football forum

6 hours ago, ScoRoss said:

The tournament will be fully hosted in Argentina.

It's a shame that. But Colombia is going through a lot of problems right now with riots and protests everywhere, it's not ideal to have it there unfortunately.

Argentina have everything to make for a good tournament though. Some top stadiums. It's just a shame there ate no fans as fans make these tournaments. Argentina's fans were the main attraction in the 2024 World Cup. @Cicero would agree.

The official song for the tournament.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

It's a shame that. But Colombia is going through a lot of problems right now with riots and protests everywhere, it's not ideal to have it there unfortunately.

Argentina have everything to make for a good tournament though. Some top stadiums. It's just a shame there ate no fans as fans make these tournaments. Argentina's fans were the main attraction in the 2024 World Cup. @Cicero would agree.

The official song for the tournament.

https://theathletic.com/news/argentina-coronavirus-covid-copa-america/rvgrWMqVriSE

Doesn't seem like Argentina are in great shape either right now, their domestic season has just been suspended.

The travel between Columbia and Argentina (for the knockout rounds) was a bit of a stretch in a normal time, but having so many people moving between countries right now doesn't seem a great idea either.

Frankly, it doesn't seem like there would be much hope for fans to attend. I'm surprised they'd be pressing ahead with it right now.

17 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

https://theathletic.com/news/argentina-coronavirus-covid-copa-america/rvgrWMqVriSE

Doesn't seem like Argentina are in great shape either right now, their domestic season has just been suspended.

The travel between Columbia and Argentina (for the knockout rounds) was a bit of a stretch in a normal time, but having so many people moving between countries right now doesn't seem a great idea either.

Frankly, it doesn't seem like there would be much hope for fans to attend. I'm surprised they'd be pressing ahead with it right now.

Yeah there's no chance of fans with the pandemic.

It's probably not a good idea to hold international tournaments full stop at the moment.

Reckon Argentina will lineup like this

Armani

Gonzalo Montiel--Lucas Martinez--Cristian Romero--Nicolás Tagliafico

Rodrigo De Paul--Leondro Paredes

Ángel Di María----------------------------------------Lucas Ocampos

Lionel Messi----Lautaro Martínez

This is the right move, in my opinion. 

Much better than hosting the tournament at empty stadiums in Argentina. 

With the number of latinos in the US, there would be decent attendances in most matches even at short notice and much more international exposure, considering the wider reach of american press.

8 minutes ago, Stan said:

Could they hold it in USA? 

With CONCACAF's Gold Cup taking place this summer in the US as well, would they be open to being overshadowed by an competition in the same country?

No question they have the facilities, but whether they can throw it all together in two weeks. Trying to find each team hotels, training facilities, transport etc.

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

With CONCACAF's Gold Cup taking place this summer in the US as well, would they be open to being overshadowed by an competition in the same country?

No question they have the facilities, but whether they can throw it all together in two weeks. Trying to find each team hotels, training facilities, transport etc.

Forgot the Gold Cup was on there. 

Seems very difficult to arrange everything at short notice. Wouldn't surprise me if Australia would have been considered if they had longer to plan it. 

4 minutes ago, Stan said:

Forgot the Gold Cup was on there. 

Seems very difficult to arrange everything at short notice. Wouldn't surprise me if Australia would have been considered if they had longer to plan it. 

Initially had thought they could have done a similar thing to MLS / NBA last year and hosted it at one complete complex. Whether there is any where left free like that, that's probably the best opportunity.

Think both were at Disney Florida's World of Sport complex, but presuming that's now just completely open to the public now.

Wherever it is, I think they'd be lucky to sort out anything on time and I can't think they'd be almost any chance of spectators, at least at the start of the tournament.

3 minutes ago, Stan said:

Brazil... 

Tweets that proceed unfortunate events... This definitely isn't going to go / end well.

Move from Argentina, because of COVID, to the worst affected country in the continent. 

Meanwhile, the domestic league in Brazil is continuing throughout the tournament. 

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

Tweets that proceed unfortunate events... This definitely isn't going to go / end well.

Move from Argentina, because of COVID, to the worst affected country in the continent. 

Meanwhile, the domestic league in Brazil is continuing throughout the tournament. 

Yeah it doesn't make sense as I thought Brazil wasn't in the best COVID position. Probably get cancelled next week. Do you know if players or teams are comfortable with any of this? 

Awful tournament. Very low level of football and even worse decision-making from Conmebol. 

If there's a place that shouldn't be hosting an international competition it's Brazil. 

I hope the state governors forbid this insanity. 

Copa America should just be cancelled. Very few would miss that boring tournament.

The Copa America has become a huge point of conflict in Brazil. I´ll try to explain in a reasonable way, trying to provide some context of the wider political atmosphere for non-brazilians. 

Firstly, yes the federal government, in the person of Jair Bolsonaro and his supporters, are strongly in favor of hosting the Copa America in Brazil. On the other side, we have Conmebol desperate not to lose the broadcast rights´ income from Copa America 2020 and the president of CBF trying to impose his authority.  

Ok, but why exactly would the brazilian government gain from hosting an international competition during the pandemic? Well, there´s an investigation of the federal government actions during the pandemic in the Senate. A Copa America and all the drama surrounding it is a good way to distract the public. 

Bolsonaro works kinda like Trump. He´s lazy, he has a very hands-off and incompetent type of managing. What he really excels at is providing the media and the public with controversy. It´s non-stop and exhausting. 

The bourgeois, political-correct middle and middle-high classes always take the bait, so we´re stuck in a non-ending cycle of stupid discussions, with lots of hyperboles envolving Nazi Germany and Hitler, while the actual standards of living continue to decline.     

How do brazilians players feel about the competition? This is the great point of dissent at the moment. According to the reports, several veteran players, such as Neymar, Marquinhos, Thiago Silva, Danilo and Alisson do not want to take part in the competition. And more, the brazilian national team coach, Tite, supports the position of his players. 

So, what you get? Chaos. Politicians alligned to Bolsonaro started to attack Tite. Apparently, Tite is a left-wing communist who wants to destroy the presidency of Jair Bolsonaro  

Is Tite a communist? lol Of course not. Dude is a old trad catholic. He is very loyal to his players, so it´s obvious he´s going to come out in public defending them. 

Are the players communists? Of course not. Most players are very religious and supported/and still support Bolsonaro. 

Why do you think the players are considering a Copa América boycott? There are many factors, in my opinion. For decades, the press has lambasted brazilian athletes for being passive and not taking a political stand. I do feel like the players are bothered by this tag attached to them, of being insensible and alienated from brazilian society. 

On the other hand, paradoxically, they kinda want to stay out of the political mess that Brazil is in. There´s been a huge movement against the Copa America in Brazil and my guess is that the players probably feel frustrated that they´re taking the flak from an unpopular political decision, while those who made the decision are shielded from criticism, in special CBF´s president, Rogerio Caboclo. 

Another cause is that the movement led by those who play in european football. After a long and compressed season, they need some rest, especially considering that the World Cup is next year. Brazil has already won a Copa America in Brazil in 2019, so what´s the point of another Copa America? They´re right, imo. They need to take some time from football. 

Speaking of CBF´s president, Rogerio Caboclo, there has been a lot of insatisfaction about the way he handles things. He´s considered too authoritarian and there´s been some whispers about the possibility of an impeachment. With his position in question, Caboclo feels like he can´t lose face in this matter and he won´t give in to the pressure of his coach and players. 

Apparently, Tite could resign or be fired. 

What will happen? I have no idea, honestly. It has become a big political drama and it´s a good example of how fractured brazilian society is.

But I´ll take a guess: eventually the negative impact of the tournament will reach such a point that the corporations that sponsor Copa America and the brazilian NT will demand that it´s canceled. 

In this world, corporate capitalism always decides and wins. 

A lot of things have happened since Friday. 

CBF's president, Rogério Caboclo, was removed from his post due to accusations of sexual and moral harassment. 

It's now clear that Caboclo knew that this would go public and he tried to ally himself with Bolsonaro to strenghten his position and to weather the storm. 

This is what the bothered the players. They felt used by CBF's president. Now that he's gone, their indignation has considerably diminished. 

Right now, it all points that the Copa America will indeed take place. 

But like I've said before, one should take a look at the sponsors. They could decide what happens. 

There's still a huge uproar in Brazil over hosting the competition and I believe that the companies are aware that it could damage their image. 

• Administrator

Brazil dominating Venezuela, as expected. Although despite the amount of chances, it took a goal from a corner to break the deadlock. Marquinhos cleverly flicking in from close range.

Nice to watch some competitive South American football. Don't usually get the chance to do so, at least for international level anyway.

Brazil plays a super boring brand of football under Tite, yet it's been more than enough to comfortably dominate south american football for the last 5 years.

The state of south american football is at its lowest point in a long time. 

I really fear what will happen once the generation of Messi for Argentina, Alexis and Vidal for Chile, James for Colombia retires. 

Meanwhile, we haven't had a great number 9 for almost 20 years and it's mostly due to the quality of our defence that we haven't been relegated to insignificance. 

• The title was changed to Copa America 2021 FINAL: Argentina 1 - 0 Brazil
  • This topic was locked, unlocked and pinned
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived