talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Erling Haaland - Man City Complete Signing of Dortmund Striker

4 hours ago, patoriku66 said:

I'm not convinced that he'd do that well.

The Bundesliga is a great league but its not the premier league. Look at the players who have come over so far. Sancho has been iffy so far for man u and Bailey has hardly played at Villa. I doubt Lewendowski would have the same form if he came over.

Haaland will score nearly every game for us with ex Bundesliga players like De Bruyne feeding him, the kids the best striker in the game right now.  

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fuck me dead , the whole ‘I’m not sure he will do well in England’ line is getting old. How many of the best players in England have been imported? The league isn’t even 40% English. Instead of asking if a Norwegian playing in Germany is good enough, ask if the English are good enough, because from the looks of things most aren’t.

On 23/04/2022 at 23:16, patoriku66 said:

The Bundesliga is a great league but its not the premier league. Look at the players who have come over so far. Sancho has been iffy so far for man u and Bailey has hardly played at Villa. I doubt Lewendowski would have the same form if he came over.

I won't get into the debate about the quality of the league.  All I will say is look at the teams those players have gone to.  Man U are a train wreck.  Have they used any player properly this season?  Some have commented that Sancho looks their best player on his day.  Don't even get me started on Villa.  Smith was a clown who lucked into promotion with a shedload of money spent and Gerrard has them in freefall now.

On 24/04/2022 at 04:00, Spike said:

Fuck me dead , the whole ‘I’m not sure he will do well in England’ line is getting old. How many of the best players in England have been imported? The league isn’t even 40% English. Instead of asking if a Norwegian playing in Germany is good enough, ask if the English are good enough, because from the looks of things most aren’t.

Well said.  In most domestic leagues the player make-up is ~80-90% domestic players.  England is the exception.

Edited to say that those English players that have gone abroad aren't exactly tearing up those "lesser leagues" either.

2 hours ago, Coma said:

Well said.  In most domestic leagues the player make-up is ~80-90% domestic players.  England is the exception.

Edited to say that those English players that have gone abroad aren't exactly tearing up those "lesser leagues" either.

The truth is we have about 20 to 30 decent English players and the rest are very average 

2 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

The truth is we have about 20 to 30 decent English players and the rest are very average 

It's probably for another thread, but we can probably all agree that the EPL is stifling the development of English players.

Ooh tough crowd here.

My comment wasn't a general dismissal about European league players all being pants but I pointed out a couple that haven't done as much since coming over. Sancho obviously was helicoptered onto the deck of HMS Titanic and we know how that ended up.Bailey afaik has had little field time at Villa. I'm not sure he's even Gerrad's cuppa.

I'd like to see Haaland do well here but I'm not sure City is the best fit. They've been playing for so long without a central striker and they get results. I'd just hate for him to become another seat polisher like mophead.

On 24/04/2022 at 04:16, patoriku66 said:

Sancho was very iffy during his last season at Dortmund. Bailey was also inconsistent, there were times where he was excellent and other times when he wasn't so great at Leverkusen. Both players were benched for periods while they played in the Bundesliga, especially Bailey, who essentially flopped at Leverkusen during the 2019/20 season. So these two players really shouldn't be used as a metric when comparing the Premier League to the Bundesliga. There are plenty of other players who arrived at a Premier League club from the Bundesliga and who found huge success playing in England.

6 hours ago, patoriku66 said:

Ooh tough crowd here.

My comment wasn't a general dismissal about European league players all being pants but I pointed out a couple that haven't done as much since coming over. Sancho obviously was helicoptered onto the deck of HMS Titanic and we know how that ended up.Bailey afaik has had little field time at Villa. I'm not sure he's even Gerrad's cuppa.

I'd like to see Haaland do well here but I'm not sure City is the best fit. They've been playing for so long without a central striker and they get results. I'd just hate for him to become another seat polisher like mophead.

Haaland is the perfect fit for City, he's big fast and mobile and can play as well as score goals  ..or do you know better than Pep? :35_thinking: 

5 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

Haaland is the perfect fit for City, he's big fast and mobile and can play as well as score goals  ..or do you know better than Pep? :35_thinking: 

How many big strikers had pep used in his career? 

I think haaland is a good fit for city too. I always thought he liked the small nippy strikers though. 

If you boys had him last night with some of the chances you made it's game over before half time 

1 minute ago, Michael said:

Sancho was very iffy during his last season at Dortmund. Bailey was also inconsistent, there were times where he was excellent and other times when he wasn't so great at Leverkusen. Both players were benched for periods while they played in the Bundesliga, especially Bailey, who essentially flopped at Leverkusen during the 2019/20 season. So these two players really shouldn't be used as a metric when comparing the Premier League to the Bundesliga. There are plenty of other players who arrived at a Premier League club from the Bundesliga and who found huge success playing in England.

Two of which have led the line for Liverpool in recent years. Then you have Konate, Son, de Bruyne, Gundogan, Thiago, Matip, Rudiger, Havertz...

I think the main reason this view exists in people's heads is because largely the best players in Germany don't come to England, they go to Bayern.

2 minutes ago, Danny said:

Two of which have led the line for Liverpool in recent years. Then you have Konate, Son, de Bruyne, Gundogan, Thiago, Matip, Rudiger, Havertz...

I think the main reason this view exists in people's heads is because largely the best players in Germany don't come to England, they go to Bayern.

Don't forget Sane, wish we still had him, miles better than Sterling & Grealish

4 minutes ago, Claret and Blue said:

How many big strikers had pep used in his career? 

I think haaland is a good fit for city too. I always thought he liked the small nippy strikers though. 

If you boys had him last night with some of the chances you made it's game over before half time 

Zlatan, Lewandowski spring to mind  ..Haaland is a freak of nature, he moves like a smaller fast player but has the height and strength to go with it

Just now, Happy Blue said:

Zlatan, Lewandowski spring to mind  ..Haaland is a freak of nature, he moves like a smaller fast player but has the height and strength to go with it

Did he sign them both? I'm not having a go just wondering. Yeh he'll fit right in to the Premier league and have chances by the bucket load thought you'd got him last year. I work with a load of city fans and they seen devided on who they'd rather have 

Him or kane. 

Nunez will end up moving to a bigger club too 

10 minutes ago, Claret and Blue said:

Did he sign them both? I'm not having a go just wondering. Yeh he'll fit right in to the Premier league and have chances by the bucket load thought you'd got him last year. I work with a load of city fans and they seen devided on who they'd rather have 

Him or kane. 

Nunez will end up moving to a bigger club too 

Yep, Pep signed Lew and  Zlatan and tried to sign Kane last season so he does like a big striker if they can play too

14 hours ago, Danny said:

Other than Firmino, who's the other?

If you mean Mane... he played in Austria, didn't he? And then he was at Southampton for a bit before we went for him.

8 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Other than Firmino, who's the other?

If you mean Mane... he played in Austria, didn't he? And then he was at Southampton for a bit before we went for him.

They may as well be German (stop ruining my point)

• The title was changed to Erling Haaland - Man City Complete Signing of Dortmund Striker

Archived