talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Duck

football forum

So recently my wife bought a egg incubator in the hope of raising a group of ducks for our garden. 

At first I was a little bit negative about the idea of having ducks as pets but having this period at home I've actually started looking forward to it. 

We started out with five eggs knowing at best we'd be looking at 2 maybe 3 if we we're lucky but after hitting bad luck we are down to one, but this one egg has battled hard and when we've screened it we can see movement and our one little duck is due to be born this weekend. 

Has anyone else had pet ducks or Chickens? 

What have I got to look forward to? 

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
4 minutes ago, Devil said:

What have I got to look forward to? 

A quacking time looking after them. 

I am so sorry. 

4 minutes ago, Devil said:

Just hope our chihuahua takes to it. 

He's a proper nasty little man my dog, thinks he can fight big dogs. 

So recently my wife bought a Chihuahua. 

At first I was a little bit negative about the idea.

Is that how it went? :ph34r:

I mean I love dogs. Like almost every animal apart from snakes. But Chihuahuas just seem like they are angry at what evolution has done to them, and they want to take it out on anybody else. xD

• Subscriber

Not exactly as pets, but we used to raise chicken and ducklings on my grandma's homestead when I was a kid. 

Main thing - keep their food and their bedding dry, and their water clean. Also, they don't like direct sun and strong wind, so keep that in mind when you plan their "housing". 

What have you got to look forward to? A lot of cleaning. Ducks are very messy animals, and it's important to clean their surroundings daily, as otherwise you'll soon have issues with parasites and whatnot. 

Very important - don't keep a single duck. They are highly social animals who don't particularly like human company, and need to have other ducks to stay happy and healthy. So if you only have one, definitely look to get at least another one as soon as possible. 

They are definitely very fun, though! 

7 minutes ago, Tommy said:

So recently my wife bought a Chihuahua. 

At first I was a little bit negative about the idea.

Is that how it went? :ph34r:

I mean I love dogs. Like almost every animal apart from snakes. But Chihuahuas just seem like they are angry at what evolution has done to them, and they want to take it out on anybody else. xD

No, this is how it went. I live with three women, they own me and ever decision other than a set few seems to go their way. 

Five years ago I booked a holiday of my choice and they agreed as long as I agreed to buy a dog. So I said yeah, why not. 

The dog they decided on was a Chihuahua, personally I didn't want a big dog anyway so I thought it was their dog anyway and they'd be responsible for it.. 

I was wrong, I walk it, I basically do everything for him. Yet they do millions of photos with him and make out they are the best owners of all time. He's even had a photo on a kids scooter. 

To be honest I love him now, he wouldn't have been my first choice but it's hard to not love an animal once they show you love. 

4 minutes ago, nudge said:

Not exactly as pets, but we used to raise chicken and ducklings on my grandma's homestead when I was a kid. 

Main thing - keep their food and their bedding dry, and their water clean. Also, they don't like direct sun and strong wind, so keep that in mind when you plan their "housing". 

What have you got to look forward to? A lot of cleaning. Ducks are very messy animals, and it's important to clean their surroundings daily, as otherwise you'll soon have issues with parasites and whatnot. 

Very important - don't keep a single duck. They are highly social animals who don't particularly like human company, and need to have other ducks to stay happy and healthy. So if you only have one, definitely look to get at least another one as soon as possible. 

They are definitely very fun, though! 

Yeah we know that, my wife is working on get more eggs as we speak. 

Sounds hard work. Good job I will be back at work and it will be her baby 😂

7 hours ago, Devil said:

Just hope our chihuahua takes to it. 

He's a proper nasty little man my dog, thinks he can fight big dogs. 

That's little dogs in general mind. My Bichon does the same. 

Only difference is your ducks are probably as tall as the Chihuahua. xD

Dad grew up on a country side he's always had fondness for domestic animals. As a kid I've since peacocks, chickens, partridge, pheasants, rabbits come and go. 

Had a couple of of ducks and goose three years ago. Fun to have around specially the ducklings but what @nudge said they are messy. Went out for a few days and a snake had come for the ducks but it got itself tangled in the wire cage, was badly injured when we came.

The male duck was very rapey, used to force her girlfriend/wife to copulate with him all the time. Can be awkward if you're just sitting in the lawn with kids or guests and suddenly... :coffee:

P. S Gooses can fuck off. Aggressive mfs

• Subscriber

Had some chickens when I was in Australia in our bush home and that's about it, the only ducks I know around here is in the Leith water area where we have ducks & swans that swim up and down the stretch of water with their chicks when they have them and don't feed them bread whatever you do as it is not recommended.

Why should you not feed ducks bread?
If ducks are fed so much bread that some of it goes uneaten, the uneaten bread poses another problem. The bread can grow mould which can make ducks sick. It can also contribute to algae growth in the water, which can kill animals and spread disease.

190711630_518735142802079_8537952736560686111_n.thumb.jpg.7c7e55d0683c1941fab69eb2d3e4eb7a.jpg.845deb8e7e7dac1aaddfa86dc22b7201.jpgdownload.thumb.png.67a43f186a2ec698df6d33bf5860ca87.png

6 hours ago, CaaC (John) said:

Had some chickens when I was in Australia in our bush home and that's about it, the only ducks I know around here is in the Leith water area where we have ducks & swans that swim up and down the stretch of water with their chicks when they have them and don't feed them bread whatever you do as it is not recommended.

Why should you not feed ducks bread?
If ducks are fed so much bread that some of it goes uneaten, the uneaten bread poses another problem. The bread can grow mould which can make ducks sick. It can also contribute to algae growth in the water, which can kill animals and spread disease.

190711630_518735142802079_8537952736560686111_n.thumb.jpg.7c7e55d0683c1941fab69eb2d3e4eb7a.jpg.845deb8e7e7dac1aaddfa86dc22b7201.jpgdownload.thumb.png.67a43f186a2ec698df6d33bf5860ca87.png

Small fish and amphibians, insects, seeds, aquatic plants, fruit..that's what you're best off feeding a pet duck as they need a balanced diet.

House we bought has a perfect chicken pen… well it’s a bit old… missus grew up with chickens and like every pet (not a duck though)… so am sure we will get some eventually. Will be good to just go into the backyard instead of over to the closest KFC.

Archived