• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Crystal Palace Hire Patrick Vieira as New Manager

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
12 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Matt Law and John Percy are pretty well connected.

Will be interesting if it happens. I thought he would hold out for something more secure than 12 out of contract players.

At the same time though gives him a bit more flexibility to shape the squad (with limited resources)

10 hours ago, Storts said:

At the same time though gives him a bit more flexibility to shape the squad (with limited resources)

We are fortunate that we will be able to take a lot of money off the wage bill in the current climate. I imagine a lot of teams will struggle to offload deadwood whilst all of ours will be released.

I guess a lot of it will be dependant on how much money there actually is for replacements.

• 3 weeks later...

Dominic Fifield (our Athletic correspondent) has mentioned the new manager is between Dyche, Ismael and Nuno. He expects an announcement next week.

I'm surprised we haven't had a plan in place given how many contracts are due to expire but it would be typical Parish if he lands on his feet.

Twitter's been its usual cesspit. Palace fans who have spent the last year saying Roy Hodgson needs to go are now criticising all the replacements. Its as if they're covering all bases so nobody can say "I told you so" if we get relegated. It must be so horrible being that negative.

23 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Dominic Fifield (our Athletic correspondent) has mentioned the new manager is between Dyche, Ismael and Nuno. He expects an announcement next week.

I'm surprised we haven't had a plan in place given how many contracts are due to expire but it would be typical Parish if he lands on his feet.

Twitter's been its usual cesspit. Palace fans who have spent the last year saying Roy Hodgson needs to go are now criticising all the replacements. Its as if they're covering all bases so nobody can say "I told you so" if we get relegated. It must be so horrible being that negative.

Would genuinely be surprised if Nuno left Wolves for Palace, surely he must have a better job on the continent lined up?

Ismael is a massive gamble but he worked an absolute treat at Barnsley, would expect Dyche to be the appointment.

1 hour ago, Danny said:

Would genuinely be surprised if Nuno left Wolves for Palace, surely he must have a better job on the continent lined up?

Ismael is a massive gamble but he worked an absolute treat at Barnsley, would expect Dyche to be the appointment.

Agreed. Nuno sounds too good to be true.

Ismael would be going from 10mph to 70mph very quickly. Feels a bit Frank deBoer'ish and I can't imagine many of our players will be capable of playing to the intensity he requires. If it does pay off though it could be a very exciting time to support us again.

I thought Eddie Howe was linked with Crystal Palace? Half thought that was the reason he'd broke off negotiations with Celtic, but doesn't seem like there is going to be a job in the EPL for him after all.

2 hours ago, Redcanuck said:

So Nuno going from Wolves to Palace, no disrespect intended, but is that considered an upgrade, sideways or downgrade move?

It's probably a downgrade in terms of career prospects, no offense to Palace, because at Wolves you've got the whole Mendes connection and ambitious signings from promising players from Portugal. I feel like the ceiling for what can be expected of Wolves on a season where everything goes really well for them is a bit higher than Palace.

I also think Nuno's reputation took a pretty big hit, rightly or wrongly, after the season Wolves had. It's got to be tough for him/them because they lost two important players to their system... and then Jiminez got that injury - so that's 3 key players from the previous season gone. I think that's tough for any manager to deal with.

But I think he or Dyche are the right kind of appointments to make at Palace. Nuno's someone you can maybe trust a bit more with spending money (although who knows how good he is at it when he's not at a club where Mendes is feeding players through) purely because of the clubs he's managed at... whereas with Dyche we've only seen how he can operate on a shoestring budget. Tbh, I rate Dyche more highly and I think he's got to make a move away from Burnley soon otherwise he'll permanently be cemented in the Fat Sam/Tony Pullis style of manager - when it's possible he could show more to his management if he was given more of a budget.

I'd want Dyche more if I were a Palace fan ultimately. Because at the end of the day, I think Palace are going to be asking their new manager to rebuild a squad on a relatively light budget. And first and foremost, survival and a plan for what Palace do in the league in the next 1-3 seasons before kicking on is of utmost importance.

• Administrator

This is a pretty impressive coup if Palace do complete this. Even more so getting in ahead of Everton (if they were seriously looking at him too). 

• Administrator
15 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

If we pull this I honestly think this is the most impressed by the club since the capture of Yohan Cabaye.

Seems dead in the water now for you guys :(

5 minutes ago, Stan said:

Fair play, never deal with players/a coach changing the goal posts towards the end of a negotiation. Just doesn’t end well

7 minutes ago, Stan said:

Ah that's a shame. Sami Mokbel is usually reliable for Palace news.

1 minute ago, Danny said:

Fair play, never deal with players/a coach changing the goal posts towards the end of a negotiation. Just doesn’t end well

Yeah, bit of a shitty way of doing business.

Seems daft a deal was 'virtually' done only for it to collapse like that. What was the sticking point that hadn't already been discussed?

You'd have thought Nuno would have already agreed based on the financial package, transfer kitty etc

It smells like a possible hijack from someone else who maybe got wind the deal was close and may have approached Nuno and his advisers with a more competitive deal.

Will be interesting what comes out in the next few days but for Palace to knock it on the head completely indicates they are majorly pissed off with the late demands.

• Subscriber

Read on Twitter that Palace weren't willing to pay the wages of all the extra backroom staff Nuno wanted to bring. Don't know if it's true but that's twice in quick succession after Spurs/Conte that that has apparently been a factor in talks breaking down. Seems odd for that to be such a sticking point in negotiations for me if everything else is broadly agreed upon.

1 hour ago, Lucas said:

Seems daft a deal was 'virtually' done only for it to collapse like that. What was the sticking point that hadn't already been discussed?

You'd have thought Nuno would have already agreed based on the financial package, transfer kitty etc

It smells like a possible hijack from someone else who maybe got wind the deal was close and may have approached Nuno and his advisers with a more competitive deal.

Will be interesting what comes out in the next few days but for Palace to knock it on the head completely indicates they are majorly pissed off with the late demands.

The Athletic are reporting the following...

- Mendes and Nuno initially approached Crystal Palace.

- Crystal Palace met the terms.

- The managerial merry go round occurred and goal posts got moved.

- Demands were made around adding further staff.

- Crystal Palace set a deadline of yesterday evening to agree terms.

- With further demands being made yesterday by Nuno and the issue of eleven players being out of contract still needing to be resolved, we decided to move on.

1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

Read on Twitter that Palace weren't willing to pay the wages of all the extra backroom staff Nuno wanted to bring. Don't know if it's true but that's twice in quick succession after Spurs/Conte that that has apparently been a factor in talks breaking down. Seems odd for that to be such a sticking point in negotiations for me if everything else is broadly agreed upon.

If for whatever reason it didn't work with Nuno, I'd rather us lose him and a couple of staff as opposed to an entire entourage that would follow him. We've got far too much disruption this summer with the contract situation already.

21 hours ago, Lucas said:

It's going to be Steve Cooper, isn't it.

Andre Ayew first signing in on a free.

It seems like a natural progression for him and it feels like a natural progression for us. His negatives at Swansea could be misconstrued as a positive in our position as far as I'm concerned. Swansea City fans are quite rightly proud of the football culture managers like Martinez, Rodgers and Potter implemented when they were there and Steve Cooper doesn't fit that mould. What Steve Cooper has done however is rebuild a depleted Swansea City side by focusing on the development of young players with a style of football that gets the best out of the players at his disposal. The fact he focused on the development of the likes of Joe Rodon, Ben Cabango, Marc Guehi and Connor Roberts which enabled them improved ten fold under him is music to my ears given that our biggest concern is that all our Centre Backs are injury prone 30 year olds and it's the area we need to priority the most for investment. Why wouldn't we look at his biggest current criticism from his fan base as a positive?

Regarding Andre Ayew... I imagine if we were to sign Andre Ayew it would have been 18 months ago. The club have been encouragingly vocal about bringing the average age of the squad down. Andre Ayew would be a desperate deadline day free transfer to put another plaster over a hole for another year.

21 hours ago, Danny said:

If Palace fans thought Hodgson was bad wait until you watch what Cooper will do to your playing style, Hodgson will look like Pep

As much as I admire how comfortably Roy Hodgson kept us up every year, he played Ebere Eze at left wing back at times to "improve his defensive game".

Steve Cooper has shown to be pragmatic at times and Swansea felt bland in the second half of the season. I also can't imagine he will encourage full backs like Mitchell, Clyne and Ward to press forward like he did with Bidwell and Roberts, but I can't imagine the football being any worse than it was at times over the last two years.

• The title was changed to Crystal Palace Hire Patrick Vieira as New Manager

Archived