• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

(SF) England 2-1 Denmark - Wednesday 7th July, 2021

football forum

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Viva la FCB said:

Yeah thats never a penalty in a million years. Is what it is, as Luke said my takeaway was Kane and Sterling where diving all over the pitch, it did eventually pay off unfortunately for the Danes. On the run of play hard to argue as basically from the 70th min forward England was all over them with the Danes just trying to cling on.  Hard way to lose it still in the end.

To be fair, the Danes were at it as well, just for defensive purposes. Hojbjerg and Vestergaard fell over at every opportunity for an easy foul and a breather. Poulsen also made several cynical challenges worthy of yellow cards that were somehow not punished. He should have been off. As in all games, it was swings and roundabouts. 

6 hours ago, montybhopa said:

I am not against the national anthem and they should not be done with but some national anthems especially the ones of the former colonizers are so inherently racist. Like I am British Paki so I can talk about British national anthem which is, lets say, i don't know why it is what it is whereas the Pakistani national anthem is not something which racist undertones as it is usually about the country itself and its people whereas the British, Belgian and most of the other European national anthems have them glorifying the royal families and all that which does not make any sense, especially not in 2021.

The lyrics to God Save the Queen are sectarian not racist.

It makes absolutely perfect sense for this song to be the national anthem in 2021. Its lyrical ridiculousness encapsulates the modern approach to traditions and the unseriousness with which traditions are able to continue beyond their purpose.

It would be far more un-English to sing an anthem that is some sort of statement about values and how that makes you great as you often get from new nations. 

I used to be staunchly against bonfire night because of its "meaning" and thought it ridiculous people of Catholic heritage joined in until the penny dropped that no one was actually applying that meaning to it and thus they don't care. I used to go around trying to whip catholics up into not joining in. Eventually I realised the wrongun in this scenario was me and not the people going to fireworks displays.

• The title was changed to (SF) England 2-1 Denmark - Wednesday 7th July, 2021
  • The topic was unpinned

England 100% deserved to win quite comfortably. But regarding the penalty, after it was scored, you had pundits etc saying we don't care if there was no contact. The irony is that these same pundits have spent their entire lives calling foreign players yet when their own does it. All matters of honesty go out of the window.

7 minutes ago, montybhopa said:

Anyone not English is direct about it not being a pen tells a lot about English 'pundits'.

You should probably check several of the posts from various pundits and posters on here then saying it wasn’t a pen. Saves time from further embarrassing comments.

11 minutes ago, Danny said:

You have to be braindead to genuinely believe Sweet Caroline is "your" song....especially when your most famous song was literally stolen off Newcastle fans xD

You can probably even find 'Freed From Desire' being used in English football stadiums before Newcastle fans used it as well, pretty sure it was going around the lower leagues in England well before. Stevenage were using it in 2012 apparently for starters.

Just now, carefreeluke said:

You can probably even trace 'Freed From Desire' back in England before Newcastle fans used it as well, pretty sure it was going around the lower leagues in England well before. Stevenage were using it in 2012 apparently for starters.

Unless a song has specific meaning, then talking about stealing songs is generally daft. Only time I've seen a team nick a song and think what is actually happening, is seeing Dortmund fans sing YNWA.

1 minute ago, Danny said:

Unless a song has specific meaning, then talking about stealing songs is generally daft. Only time I've seen a team nick a song and think what is actually happening, is seeing Dortmund fans sing YNWA.

Yeah mate exactly, a lot of football chants are shit anyway but sometimes it's necessary to call out things like those Northern Ireland tweets. 

8 minutes ago, carefreeluke said:

You can probably even trace 'Freed From Desire' back in England before Newcastle fans used it as well, pretty sure it was going around the lower leagues in England well before. Stevenage were using it in 2012 apparently for starters.

Wonder if there is a connection. If whoever started it knew it already. The songs recent fame was founded when it came on in a pub in Norwich full of Newcastle fans on an away day and someone started singing Mitro's on fire. The rest is history. It certainly wasn't made famous by Will Grigg's on fire :4_joy:

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, MUFC said:

But regarding the penalty, after it was scored, you had pundits etc saying we don't care if there was no contact. The irony is that these same pundits have spent their entire lives calling foreign players yet when their own does it. All matters of honesty go out of the window.

This just isn't really true anymore. It's been about 15 years since pundits actually complained about players going down too easily or diving, English or not. It's accepted now that the players are going to do it, they basically never get criticised unless it's really egregious. Like Immobile getting up after they scored the other day, when it was blatant he'd been faking it, but even then it's just a big joke now, he gets a bit of stick at worst, not genuine criticism. It's the officials that get blamed for being conned by it nowadays.

Should we have had a penalty before? Controversial penalty but I heard we could have had one before anyway? I couldnt hear the commentary in the pub 

On 06/07/2021 at 19:06, LFCMike said:

Don't see how people can get rattled by this, thought it was funny. English fans give it out more than anyone, if you get wound up by stuff like that, then there's something wrong. If you give it out, you've got to be able to take it as well.

Schmeichel played superbly yesterday as well, I only get annoyed by him because he's good, particularly with the FA Cup final still in the back of my mind. He's come a long way.

• Subscriber

On Pickford, his distribution was largely very poor yesterday, I don't know if it was nerves but it was a poor performance, it's the first time in a while I've had that "feeling" about him for Everton or England where I'm half-dreading what's about to happen when the ball gets knocked back to him. I'm still in two minds about the goal though. I feel that the analysis of it in some quarters is as lazy as "it wasn't in the corner so he should have saved it". That was my feeling at first but if you look at the replays I find it hard to really see what he clearly should have done better short of predicting where the lad was going to hit the ball. He's unsighted and the player's run up and technique made it less than obvious which side he was aiming for. I think, yes, if he was a couple of inches taller, he probably manages to tip it onto the bar, and his height compared to some of the elite goalkeepers is clearly a weakness of his, but you can't really call that a mistake. Generally, being taller is an advantage for a goalkeeper, England have taller alternatives but Pickford is better with the ball (most days) and taller goalkeepers don't always get down quite as well as he does (see the save he made against Scotland and the one from Dolberg last night that was offside, but still a good save). If you pick him over a taller alternative because of what else he brings to the table, you're making the decision that the occasional strike that dips just under the bar like this one is going to hit the net when a taller goalkeeper might have saved it. Note that I'm not fully defending him, it's frustrating that the free kick went in but I wouldn't necessarily call it massively his fault or a mistake. Moving into the final, I'm more concerned about him using the ball better than I am about his shot-stopping, put it that way.

33 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

On Pickford, his distribution was largely very poor yesterday, I don't know if it was nerves but it was a poor performance, it's the first time in a while I've had that "feeling" about him for Everton or England where I'm half-dreading what's about to happen when the ball gets knocked back to him. I'm still in two minds about the goal though. I feel that the analysis of it in some quarters is as lazy as "it wasn't in the corner so he should have saved it". That was my feeling at first but if you look at the replays I find it hard to really see what he clearly should have done better short of predicting where the lad was going to hit the ball. He's unsighted and the player's run up and technique made it less than obvious which side he was aiming for. I think, yes, if he was a couple of inches taller, he probably manages to tip it onto the bar, and his height compared to some of the elite goalkeepers is clearly a weakness of his, but you can't really call that a mistake. Generally, being taller is an advantage for a goalkeeper, England have taller alternatives but Pickford is better with the ball (most days) and taller goalkeepers don't always get down quite as well as he does (see the save he made against Scotland and the one from Dolberg last night that was offside, but still a good save). If you pick him over a taller alternative because of what else he brings to the table, you're making the decision that the occasional strike that dips just under the bar like this one is going to hit the net when a taller goalkeeper might have saved it. Note that I'm not fully defending him, it's frustrating that the free kick went in but I wouldn't necessarily call it massively his fault or a mistake. Moving into the final, I'm more concerned about him using the ball better than I am about his shot-stopping, put it that way.

At the time, before the goal, I was not even remotely confident after seeing Pickford shouting at Maguire. Seemed on edge and not focused. I'm theorising from his body language and such but I wasn't even remotely surprised that free kick went in. A focused on his toes Pickford saves that for me, late sight or not. That might be harsh but the vibe the lad is giving off is rocky.

1 hour ago, carefreeluke said:

Don't see how people can get rattled by this, thought it was funny. English fans give it out more than anyone, if you get wound up by stuff like that, then there's something wrong. If you give it out, you've got to be able to take it as well.

Schmeichel played superbly yesterday as well, I only get annoyed by him because he's good, particularly with the FA Cup final still in the back of my mind. He's come a long way.

The joke didn't annoy me, what did was that the logic behind it was wrong xD. World Cup > Euros all the way.

With that said Twitter is a ground zero for mental health issues taking over people's common sense.

Been playing to this song loudly for the neighbours as I am in Scotland... along with Sweet Chariots and the rest... haha. Last night a single guy with a big England flag was on the street after we won the Semi Final. Respect to him.

Archived