talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

F1 2021 - British GP - 16-18th July

• Subscriber
9 minutes ago, Eco said:

Certainly that plays a part, but isn't Lewis also very outspoken about Global Warming and such? I'm not sure if that's why he's Vegan, but if so, certainly that could be seen as also very hypocritical. 

Disclaimer: my post was just an attempt to explain the thought process of some people. It's not my personal opinion, although I can understand the reasoning behind it. Personally, I think it's possible to be a racing driver and also be aware of environmental issues at the same time; one doesn't necessarily negates the other. Especially if you are pushing for changes and improvements to make the racing more sustainable and less polluting, and also practice what you preach in your private life. 

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, nudge said:

Disclaimer: my post was just an attempt to explain the thought process of some people. It's not my personal opinion, although I can understand the reasoning behind it. Personally, I think it's possible to be a racing driver and also be aware of environmental issues at the same time; one doesn't necessarily negates the other. Especially if you are pushing for changes and improvements to make the racing more sustainable and less polluting, and also practice what you preach in your private life. 

Oh I understand, I was just thinking that I had heard some people call Lewis a hypocrite for similar views as Seb while driving an F1 car, flying all the time, and living in Monaco where he doesn't pay taxes. 

18 minutes ago, nudge said:

I think when it comes to that shitstorm against Seb, it was also at least partially down to what some people perceived as hipocrisy - someone who makes a living driving powerful racing cars while flying around the world every week or two is advocating for a party which plans to raise taxes for environmental reasons that won't affect him because he's living in a tax exile in Switzerland doesn't go down well with some...

Yea, I get that. But I know that he often takes the car within Europe for races now instead of a plane. I think it was Monaco? Where he had to leave quickly to drive back to Switzerland because he got a Covid Vaccine appointment on short notice. 

Of course you can see it as a bit of a hipocrisy if it comes from a racing driver, but it's his job now, and from what I'm seeing and hearing, he's trying his best to do his best in terms of eco friendliness. I remember hearing his team radio "Bring back the V12's" a few years ago. I'm not sure if he'd say that now. But we all live and learn and grow, and that's beautiful. Some do that in their 20's, 30's, others in their 40's. But now you see him staying at Silverstone longer to pick up rubbish from the stands, and not for publicity either, and you just have to applaud him for that. 

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Eco said:

Oh I understand, I was just thinking that I had heard some people call Lewis a hypocrite for similar views as Seb while driving an F1 car, flying all the time, and living in Monaco where he doesn't pay taxes. 

Yeah, people understandably don't like to be patronised and preached by someone whose carbon footprint in a year is probably hundreds of times higher than that of a normal average person in their lifetime.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Yea, I get that. But I know that he often takes the car within Europe for races now instead of a plane. I think it was Monaco? Where he had to leave quickly to drive back to Switzerland because he got a Covid Vaccine appointment on short notice. 

Of course you can see it as a bit of a hipocrisy if it comes from a racing driver, but it's his job now, and from what I'm seeing and hearing, he's trying his best to do his best in terms of eco friendliness. I remember hearing his team radio "Bring back the V12's" a few years ago. I'm not sure if he'd say that now. But we all live and learn and grow, and that's beautiful. Some do that in their 20's, 30's, others in their 40's. But now you see him staying at Silverstone longer to pick up rubbish from the stands, and not for publicity either, and you just have to applaud him for that. 

Yeah, as I said in my following post, I personally don't see it as black or white, but I do think some of the criticism makes sense.

Quick question...when Verstappen first came into F1 he was accused of driving too dangerously and essentially called everyone a little bitch for saying so. Has his racing style changed since then and that is why he is angry, or is it that Hamilton got the better of him whilst driving in that style that pissed him off?

• Subscriber
18 minutes ago, Danny said:

Quick question...when Verstappen first came into F1 he was accused of driving too dangerously and essentially called everyone a little bitch for saying so. Has his racing style changed since then and that is why he is angry, or is it that Hamilton got the better of him whilst driving in that style that pissed him off?

If it was the other way round nobody on here would be saying a word. 

• Subscriber
29 minutes ago, Danny said:

Both of them are still aggressive. To be honest, Hamilton has looked less aggressive in recent years because whenever he's overtaking someone, he has either had such a car advantage that the majority of his rivals don't bother fighting him, or it's his team-mate. Verstappen is still super-aggressive as well, he just gets involved in less incidents because he sort of has a better idea where to draw the line and people also know what to expect from him.

Hamilton didn't get the better of Verstappen yesterday. They basically played a game of chicken with how aggressive they were with each other, not for the first time this season. On other occasions, one of them has backed down just in time to not crash. Yesterday, they both just kept their foot far enough in it that they made contact at high speed.

13 minutes ago, JoshBRFC said:

This just isn't true. We have partisan views in this thread sometimes but most of it is a bit of a self-parody such as Tommy's 'bias' towards Vettel. In fact if anything, we get more pro-Hamilton fan-boying in this thread than we do for Max or Seb or anyone else. I say this as a pretty neutral observer who slightly prefers Hamilton over Verstappen but would like to see someone else win a championship for the benefit of the sport. I think that most of the analysis of the incident has been pretty objective. To call it a racing incident is a valid position to take, as is my position that it feels a bit unjust to see Hamilton win the race while Max gets no points as a result of an incident where they have to share the responsibility, but that's F1. You're wrong though that Verstappen wouldn't receive criticism if the roles were reversed.

• Subscriber
20 minutes ago, JoshBRFC said:

Are you for real? You should read the race day threads from previous seasons on here, and you will see how often Max has been criticised for aggressive racing and hasty moves... In fact, if it was the other way round, I'm sure that most people on here would call Max impatient, immature, and crash prone.

I personally like hard racing, and don't think there was anything wrong with Hamilton attempting that move yesterday, but I also think that he slightly misjudged it, so was predominantly at fault and thus got penalised for it, and that's it - literally happens in almost every race with other cars and drivers. The fact that the punishment didn't matter in the end is a completely different topic altogether.

As for Max "bitching" about it, I think it's quite understandable that a driver who just got taken out by his championship rival, suffered an over 50g crash impact, had to spend a day in the hospital and then watch the said rival win is going to be emotionally loaded, frustrated, and pissed off. 

2 hours ago, Danny said:

In his initial years he was dangerous, always double moving to stop others overtaking when you should only defend and move once when somebody is trying to get past you. Truth is, if you look at all top drivers in their younger years, they were all rash and impatient. Hamilton during his McLaren years had his fair share of crashes, there was one season where he was involved in collisions with Massa all season. 

We all had have our opinion on what each driver should have done and who was to blame. But I looked at Lewis during the 2017 and 2018 seasons and thought after the race should Max have backed out and played the percentages? I know this is easier said then done during a race battle. Now if Max backed out 2 things could have happened. Either he chased Lewis down, overtook him and grabbed 25 points. Or he stays second grabs 18 points and only loses 7 points in the title race. Max really had less to lose from backing out yesterday, but as Nudge said it was a game of chicken and in my opinion a game of egos at the same time.

The reason I mentioned Lewis in 2017 and 2018, in 2017 Ferrari and Mercedes were neck and neck car wise for the first half of the season. It was track dependent on how they performed. During 2018, Ferrari had a slightly quicker for 14 of the 21 races, up till Italy. Now in 2017 when the mid-season break arrived, Vettel was around 15 points ahead in the championship, yet in 2018 at the summer break, despite the Ferrari being slightly quicker, Lewis after Hungary which was the mid-season stage still had a 24 point lead over Vettel.

The reason is during 2017 and 2018, LEwis played the percentages in these seasons. He kind of shown a maturity he hadn't in previous seasons. You could say he was more boring and safety first then in previous seasons. Rather then take risks, he would kind of hold station and be content with what he had. He attitude would be I', 3rd here and I'd rather take 15 points then trying to engage. In close wheel to wheel racing he never took as many risks as he usually would during the Rosberg and McLaren years. 

I felt the above approach is something Max could have take yesterday. Maybe Horner or his team should or may have said, don't engage too much as you have  a healthy lead nd don't need to risk a close battle. But we all have to remember that despite being in F1 for so long, Max is still only 23. This is young, even so he's been around for so forever. 

19 minutes ago, nudge said:

What a beauty...

If Charles would have won the race, he would have driven Ferrari's first and latest winning cars on the same day. 

On 18/07/2021 at 16:07, ScoRoss said:

Imagine cheering a crash. Absolute weirdos

Apparently they only cheered when they thought Lewis is going to pass Max. 

They actually cheered when it was clear that  Max is ok and got out of the car to be fair. 

• Subscriber

After much deliberation I’ll hold my hand up I was being a defensive cunt with regards to Lewis. My opinion remains the same, but I was wrong to give shitty replies and insinuate  some of my most enjoyable posters eg @nudge and @RandoEFC are bias.

Basically don’t hate me. Love you all x x

I do really hope we get more wheel to wheel action like that first lap, it was brilliant. And roles reversed my opinion would genuinely not change. It’s a racing incident in my eyes. But I respect your opinions. After the lengthy replies to my shitty posts, this is all you’re getting. See you in Hungary :) 

3 minutes ago, JoshBRFC said:

After much deliberation I’ll hold my hand up I was being a defensive cunt with regards to Lewis. My opinion remains the same, but I was wrong to give shitty replies and insinuate  some of my most enjoyable posters eg @nudge and @RandoEFC are bias.

TBFH, I figured as much, especially with  all recent B.S. that Lewis has had to put up with in terms of racism. Utter nonce those people are. 

You didn't tag me, but there is nothing but love here for you mate. 

Again, just happy everyone is safe and it just goes to show how good Lewis is to be able to get a 10 second penalty and still win the race. 

Can't wait for Hungary. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived