The better place to talk football.

FM22

football forum

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
15 hours ago, Tommy said:

Anyone else getting FM burnout every now and then? Like you play it so much that you can't stand it anymore for some time? xD

I've got it right now. Second season with Grimsby is boring the fuck out of me. We were SO good last season and narrowly missed out in the play offs and now we're shit :P

47 minutes ago, Pyfish said:

I've got it right now. Second season with Grimsby is boring the fuck out of me. We were SO good last season and narrowly missed out in the play offs and now we're shit :P

Yea, similar here. Qualified for the Europa League with Fortuna Düsseldorf. Lost the first Europa League match against Lazio 0-5. No me gusto. xD

• Administrator

Languishing in relegation zone in my first season in National League. Tough to get a working formation with the players I have - noticed a lot of teams score against me with route one tactics but even countering that with a deeper defence doesn't work. My best central defenders still let the ball sail over them and their strikers get in 1 on 1 and score 90% of the time.

It's difficult but still have plenty of board backing. Only 1 point off safety after 15 games which isn't bad going all things considered. 

Still trying to get used to the 'mechanics' of the game away from the football i.e. what works with motivating the players and the different scenarios as you can give so many more responses in conversations now.  

• Subscriber

I think I need to have a change of tactics. I always line up in the same formation as it's what I know and suits my players the most. And I always try and control possession. Need to mix it up as I think the oppositions have grown wise to it.

On 09/12/2021 at 20:26, Tommy said:

Anyone else getting FM burnout every now and then? Like you play it so much that you can't stand it anymore for some time? xD

Me and my friends have been talking about this for over 15 years xD. You smash so much out, then you need a break, which turns in to a long break, then you smash so much out again. Do about four to six cycles before the next game comes out.

• Subscriber

I did a good save in Poland on FM21 funnily enough. Wisla Krakow. Turned into a really good save actually, won the league in my first season quite unexpectedly and then somehow Polish teams kept doing quite well in Europe, the league rose the ranks and eventually the league winners got a straight CL group place - which having made that once we just eventually monopolised the league. I binned the save because we started scoring 5/6 every game and it was too easy. The highlight of the save was winning 0-2 at Barcelona - massively hung on during the game but my god it felt good.

On 11/12/2021 at 21:47, Dan said:

I did a good save in Poland on FM21 funnily enough. Wisla Krakow. Turned into a really good save actually, won the league in my first season quite unexpectedly and then somehow Polish teams kept doing quite well in Europe, the league rose the ranks and eventually the league winners got a straight CL group place - which having made that once we just eventually monopolised the league. I binned the save because we started scoring 5/6 every game and it was too easy. The highlight of the save was winning 0-2 at Barcelona - massively hung on during the game but my god it felt good.

Funnily enough, I was just looking at where to start a save once I get the game for Christmas and I was debating Poland (and Turkey and a couple of other places). 

• Subscriber
6 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

Funnily enough, I was just looking at where to start a save once I get the game for Christmas and I was debating Poland (and Turkey and a couple of other places). 

I would recommend Poland. It fairly recently had the Euros so the infrastructure at a few clubs is decent, it's far enough off the top leagues to be considered a challenge but good enough to not make it unachievable, it's a fairly kind fixture schedule (18 team league), and best of all, there are no transfer restrictions at all.

I'd recommend it. Circumstances kind of killed my save a bit. Poland rose the ranks really quickly so that the league winner got a CL group space, as soon as I'd made the CL groups once all challenge was good, we were getting £30mil budgets in a league of paupers. Never managed an unbeaten season though.

• Administrator

Been a very difficult season, chopping and changing formation and personnel to find something that works. Picked up a bit of form recently (compared to losing/getting thrashed each week or thereabouts).

But the race to survive is on...

image.png

8 games left. 9pts off safety.

• Administrator

STILL in sight...

image.png

I can't bear it. I almost don't want to play the last 2 games through sheer expectation of losing out on the final day :(

The plus side being Boreham Wood are going down in any case xD. And they're the ones who play Altrincham so may need them to do me a favour...

• Administrator

Weird.

I've been offered the Southend job. The job begins in April 2024. Currently in May 2023. Fuck knows why, don't remember seeing the change in date in the contract offer.

Accepted it as it means I stay in the National League. But while I stay at St Albans, it means I can't enter into any transfer negotiations to try and do well with St Albans still...?

• Administrator

So I think there was a bug because Southend then hired another manager anyway on a contract that went beyond my start date xD.

I resigned from St Albans thinking it may kick something into action. It didn't.

Applied for jobs at varios VNL or League Two clubs.

Then Fleetwood come offering me a job. They're in League One...

• 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Life is still good at Grimsby. Not had much time again for it recently but played a couple of matches last night. Unbeaten in 7 and top of the table on goal difference but Stockport have a game in hand over me.

The Australian League is weird. Season starts in November, ends in March, and suddenly you have some random cup matches in August, and the league resumes again in November 🥴

Now I'm just gonna play a shitload of friendlies from July till November. I'm gonna be extra prepared when the league starts. xD

On 07/01/2022 at 06:50, Bluebird Hewitt said:

I got sacked as Cardiff manager and am now looking to bring back the glory days at Darlington. 😔

Second half of the first season saw us finish mid table.

Second season, after giving the squad an overhaul an changing tactics, saw us win the Vanarama North, so happy with that.

I think someone mentioned this a while ago, but why is it that you can be on top for a lot of the matches but almost once every couple of games, you always concede goals from shots a good 20-25 yards out?

I know the standard of goalkeeping isn't exactly superb, but it happens so often.

• Subscriber

Currently top of the National League by 15 points in February of my second season. Managed to tie my 20 year old striker to a new deal despite interest from the Championship. He scored 20 last season and is currently on 25 for this season so delighted to keep him. My other striker is on a new deal too and he's nearing 20 for the season too. Few other players on new contracts too that have been getting interested from League 1 and League 2 teams. 

The only downside is my contract runs out at the end of the season and despite asking, they don't think I've proven myself yet to get a new contract! Had an offer from Crewe in League One but rejected as I want to stay!

6 minutes ago, Pyfish said:

Currently top of the National League by 15 points in February of my second season. Managed to tie my 20 year old striker to a new deal despite interest from the Championship. He scored 20 last season and is currently on 25 for this season so delighted to keep him. My other striker is on a new deal too and he's nearing 20 for the season too. Few other players on new contracts too that have been getting interested from League 1 and League 2 teams. 

The only downside is my contract runs out at the end of the season and despite asking, they don't think I've proven myself yet to get a new contract! Had an offer from Crewe in League One but rejected as I want to stay!

Good stuff. Onwards and upwards as they say.

Also, the mobile version is so realistic that I signed Isaak Davies and on the verge of signing Mark Harris as free agents after Cardiff released both of them. xD

• The topic was pinned
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived