talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Off Topic

football forum

Just now, Stan said:

How much will you earn from Youtube compared to working temporarily at a grocery store/supermarket?

You can win a lot if you get an average of 300K views. That will take time though, I mean I do have a good plan to get to 1000 subs (first step, thats what gets you monetization) but at 21, I'm not too rushed yet. I rather go for my passion than do something I'll hate, even if it takes time. I also have my scouting job which is still my dream profession, so I'd rather split my time without anyone yelling at me!

Just checked and a video of 900K gets you $1,693 (not sure if USD or CAD). Right now my only income is from an Ontario autism program. Not sure if you have those in the UK, but I'm satisfied with low earnings for a while until I build up my career(s).

YouTube is a tough place to make money, out of all the YouTube accounts going I don't think it'll be huge percentage of them that actually make enough money not to work.

That being said, if you get it right and are committed, it's a fairly straight forward money earner.

39 minutes ago, Vader said:

You can win a lot if you get an average of 300K views. That will take time though, I mean I do have a good plan to get to 1000 subs (first step, thats what gets you monetization) but at 21, I'm not too rushed yet. I rather go for my passion than do something I'll hate, even if it takes time. I also have my scouting job which is still my dream profession, so I'd rather split my time without anyone yelling at me!

Just checked and a video of 900K gets you $1,693 (not sure if USD or CAD). Right now my only income is from an Ontario autism program. Not sure if you have those in the UK, but I'm satisfied with low earnings for a while until I build up my career(s).

Correct me if i am wrong, but don't you have to have a certain amount of subscribers to be profitable?

Edited by True Blue

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, True Blue said:

Correct me if i am wrong, but don't you have to have a certain amount of subscribers to be profitable?

And as a consequence of that, most mainstream/popular YouTubers these days are sponsored from huge companies and get paid to do ads etc. That's the real money-earner. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Stan said:

And as a consequence of that, most mainstream/popular YouTubers these days are sponsored from huge companies and get paid to do ads etc. That's the real money-earner. 

Yes but they also have a huge numbers of subscribers. What does it mean for a person who is starting up and doesn't have the same access as the already mainstream or popular YouTubers.

Just now, Tommy said:

Lacks the Sex and the City tune. 

BTW, when you asked me for that, the song was actually "Decisiones" not Pedro Navaja. Same artist though (Ruben Blades).

Apologies for that error by the way, been meaning to tell you xD

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Vader said:

BTW, when you asked me for that, the song was actually "Decisiones" not Pedro Navaja. Same artist though (Ruben Blades).

Apologies for that error by the way, been meaning to tell you xD

I was wondering why it sounds so different to what I remember. xD

• Haha 1

• Administrator

I feel like there's just a lot of unoriginal footage. To be quite blunt it seems like a lot of stuff I could get off Wikipedia. 

And on the nerdy side - would you be picked up for any copyrights? Like the clips from Blue Square non league stuff or using Family Guy pictures? I don't know what's allowed and what isn't when it comes to YouTube videos etc... 

3 minutes ago, Stan said:

I feel like there's just a lot of unoriginal footage. To be quite blunt it seems like a lot of stuff I could get off Wikipedia. 

And on the nerdy side - would you be picked up for any copyrights? Like the clips from Blue Square non league stuff or using Family Guy pictures? I don't know what's allowed and what isn't when it comes to YouTube videos etc... 

A lot of the info I gathered from actually talking to Mark Cook, but on that front he also admitted to most of the things publicly.

Im not entirely sure on the copyright front. I’m running the risk. As far as I know it’s fair use if you’re being educational or commenting on the footage. That’s why you see movie reviewers sometimes use movie clips in their videos and get away with it. But either way I’ll leave credits fair use or not. Again, I’m running the risk.

Anyways this was a quick an easy video I made just to kickstart the channel. The tougher work starts from here. Just as a note this was a piece I wrote on Ronnie Dog Media a few years ago, but yeah I just today realized a lot of the things Mark told me was already known.

10 hours ago, Stan said:

My favourite big YouTuber doesn't have paid sponsorships!

But he did use his YouTube fame to start his own guitar brand, promote his 3 bands, and his solo-artist career... so he's found another way to get more money from YouTube without needing to resort to doing paid ads. And it's less annoying when the ads are for something that content creator also created.

But yeah, for the most part to get real money from YouTube (and not have to have an actual job) you need: 1.) a shitload of subscribers, 2.) a shitload of people that don't just subscribe, but also have clicked the button to be notified of when you post up new content, 3.) sponsorships because popular channels make for good product placement.

It's not easy either. You have to develop a good YouTube persona, for some people that's just being themselves. For other people it involves getting into character. And I think that's something that'll come to whoever's making the video after they've made a lot of videos. You also need a regular flow of content to upload. This means constantly making videos that are of good enough quality to keep people interested in your channel. The people that run a YouTube channel as a full time job... they treat the channel like it's a full time job. They're always making videos, they set schedules for themselves for when they release content and then stick to those schedules.

It's also fairly easy to have your video demonitised or have your video taken down from having too much material that's copywritten by someone else.

Unless you're doing something that's totally new or different to other YouTube channels out there... it's probably one of the hardest ways you can try to make a living tbh.

• Upvote 1

Yeah my post wasn't meant to discourage you or anything @Vader - more just to underscore that what you're trying to do and to be successful at is something that is going to take an enormous amount of work to be successful at. And you shouldn't be surprised if the early days are slow-going in trying to build your channel because it's hard. You need to have a niche, but you can't be too niche in that there aren't enough people that want to watch your videos because the topics are too obscure. It's a very fine balance.

Honestly, the hardest thing is to churn out content that isn't crap. And while most YouTubers can't guarantee a quality video each time, even the best ones, I feel like they hit the sweet spot for their target audience somewhere around 7-8/10 times. You have to be able to make enough good videos to keep people coming back, without releasing new content too frequently to irritate all the people you're relying on to click that notification button as well as subscribing to you - because too many notifications all the time is a great way to get people to turn that off... or unsubscribe entirely. And you can't release them too slowly otherwise people think your channel's becoming inactive and they stop subscribing. It's another very fine balance.

Are you doing this on the side to that scouting gig you said you landed recently? Because I felt like that was your dream job... because you said it was. So is this just a hobby you're hoping to make some extra cash off? Or did the scouting gig turn into something you weren't expecting? Or is that something you only do when you're in Peru?

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yeah my post wasn't meant to discourage you or anything @Vader - more just to underscore that what you're trying to do and to be successful at is something that is going to take an enormous amount of work to be successful at. And you shouldn't be surprised if the early days are slow-going in trying to build your channel because it's hard. You need to have a niche, but you can't be too niche in that there aren't enough people that want to watch your videos because the topics are too obscure. It's a very fine balance.

Honestly, the hardest thing is to churn out content that isn't crap. And while most YouTubers can't guarantee a quality video each time, even the best ones, I feel like they hit the sweet spot for their target audience somewhere around 7-8/10 times. You have to be able to make enough good videos to keep people coming back, without releasing new content too frequently to irritate all the people you're relying on to click that notification button as well as subscribing to you - because too many notifications all the time is a great way to get people to turn that off... or unsubscribe entirely. And you can't release them too slowly otherwise people think your channel's becoming inactive and they stop subscribing. It's another very fine balance.

Are you doing this on the side to that scouting gig you said you landed recently? Because I felt like that was your dream job... because you said it was. So is this just a hobby you're hoping to make some extra cash off? Or did the scouting gig turn into something you weren't expecting? Or is that something you only do when you're in Peru?

I don't think it's too niche. There is the likes of HITC sevens which is an opinion football channel and Tifo Football which tells stories, but neither are specifically dedicated to the sort of thing I want to dedicate it. So I'm going to claim this niche as my own.

And yes, this is just a hobby I want to do to have some fun besides my scouting job (which is still my dream job). Hopefully make some extra cash at some point with it and keep growing in the football industry and as a person. With this scouting gig it's all done via Wyscout and Instatscout. The club doesn't have the funds for me to travel consistently and neither do I. 

Youtube channels won't grow without some sort of payed advertising these days, but I'm willing to spend for the long term. Organic Youtube growth only happens now if you have a niche never thought of before, but much needed to reach to many audiences. Sort of like Geography Now, which has never been thought of but had huge potential. Even that I'm sure had some sort of payed advertising.

Anyways, my next video is the logistics of scouting. I have to say, this idea is excellent writing down my jot notes. Being a scout and being in groups with other scouts, I can get interviews here and not just get mostly common information like with the Mark Cook video. It's not as simple as it sounds, the video has topics about the Bosman rule and how video scouting shaped the future of scouting forever.