• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Other PL Round 8 Matches - Saturday 16th October, 2021

football forum

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

I feel like by Manchester United standards they're very much there for the taking at the minute, but we've been so poor, and I don't think it'll happen. Got to hope the break has done some good.

• Administrator
18 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Leicester have played both Manchester clubs in 3pm kick offs now. Find it a bit odd this time as well.

I'm more surprised why Villa vs Wolves isn't on TV instead of any other chosen TV fixture (barring Brentford vs Chelsea). 

• Administrator
34 minutes ago, Dan said:

I feel like by Manchester United standards they're very much there for the taking at the minute, but we've been so poor, and I don't think it'll happen. Got to hope the break has done some good.

Not sure what to make of it. Yesterday I had no confidence in us at all regardless what side Man Utd put out. Rodgers' comments distancing himself away from the Newcastle job so quickly make me think he was never in line anyway. Which then in turn makes me think things aren't as unsettled at the club as initially thought.

Regardless, on field we have to be so much better in all departments. I think we stick with 4-4-2 to accommodate Iheanacho to play. He just has to given his form and contribution.

Kasper

Pereira - Evans* - Soyuncu - Bertrand

Lookman - Soumare - Tielemans - Barnes

Vardy - Iheanacho

The 4-3-3 doesn't quite work any more (or at least hasn't had the same rewards this season so far). 

Evans should start if he's fit. The thought of Ronaldo vs Vestergaard scares me. 

I think we'll generally just get overran and outclassed in midfield. It's just too strong. We have conceded in every game since first day of the season and in-form Ronaldo in that Man Utd attack will be too much. 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Stan said:

I'm more surprised why Villa vs Wolves isn't on TV instead of any other chosen TV fixture (barring Brentford vs Chelsea). 

Yeah Everton v West Ham is an odd one. I just assumed it was a Sunday game anyway because they'd have had Europa League on Thursday but obviously that's not the case.

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Not sure what to make of it. Yesterday I had no confidence in us at all regardless what side Man Utd put out. Rodgers' comments distancing himself away from the Newcastle job so quickly make me think he was never in line anyway. Which then in turn makes me think things aren't as unsettled at the club as initially thought.

Regardless, on field we have to be so much better in all departments. I think we stick with 4-4-2 to accommodate Iheanacho to play. He just has to given his form and contribution.

Kasper

Pereira - Evans* - Soyuncu - Bertrand

Lookman - Soumare - Tielemans - Barnes

Vardy - Iheanacho

The 4-3-3 doesn't quite work any more (or at least hasn't had the same rewards this season so far). 

Evans should start if he's fit. The thought of Ronaldo vs Vestergaard scares me. 

I think we'll generally just get overran and outclassed in midfield. It's just too strong. We have conceded in every game since first day of the season and in-form Ronaldo in that Man Utd attack will be too much. 

Id say midfield is Utd's weakness!

What makes you think it's too strong?

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Id say midfield is Utd's weakness!

What makes you think it's too strong?

Partly because ours is out of form - Tielemans is well below standard. Maddison has too many off-days recently. Ndidi is out for a good few weeks. Soumare hasn't had much game-time and perhaps may still be settling in. Perez has about 1 good game in 5 or 6. Barnes is terribly out of form too.

Fernandes, Pogba, McTominay, even Lingard is scoring/assisting. It might be their weak point but from what I've seen of us so far, I don't hold much hope. Not to mention Ronaldo, Greenwood, Martial to play some part. Right now we're not the strongest mentally given our form, confidence seems to be low and when you have Ronaldo at the front of the opposition attack I think a lot of our players will just be shit-scared coming up against him xD

• Subscriber

I'm really trying to work out what Soumare is all about so far. Think it's unfair to go too hard on him as we've been pretty poor all over the pitch but he's looked lost to me. He's not going to get better by not playing though.

No Ndidi is terrifying given how pourous we've been at the back already. We cannot rush Evans back though. We do this time and time again with him and it costs us in the long run. I'd happily sacrifice him for a couple of games if it meant there was less risk of him being injured going forward.

Vestergaard's been pretty horrible so far.

28 minutes ago, Stan said:

How can Ederson play for Man City but Alisson can't for Liverpool?

22 minutes ago, Stan said:

But they'd both travel back at the same time, no?

You might be right with the travel thing, didn't really think about it :4_joy:  ..if he cant play Steffen will be the keeper

Never ever been as turned off at football that I am at the moment. I'd used to look forward to the game at a weekend all week but even with the return of Ronaldo I'm not getting that buzz you'd expect.

We might get the win this weekend but I'm not seeing football that's entertaining me, I'm not seeing a group of players playing a system that entertains me.

Which is really bad given the players we have at our disposal.

The scary thing is we are current 9 positions better off currently than last season and 4 points better off. 

Yet we've been absolutely awful.

In terms of the game, perfect game for Leicester to get their season going, the buzz of beating United and a team that plays so slow in front of you.

Surely they've got to turn up on Saturday.

42 minutes ago, Devil said:

Never ever been as turned off at football that I am at the moment. I'd used to look forward to the game at a weekend all week but even with the return of Ronaldo I'm not getting that buzz you'd expect.

We might get the win this weekend but I'm not seeing football that's entertaining me, I'm not seeing a group of players playing a system that entertains me.

The scary thing is we are current 9 positions better off currently than last season and 4 points better off. 

In terms of the game, perfect game for Leicester to get their season going, the buzz of beating United and a team that plays so slow in front of you.

How much longer do you think Solksjaer's got? They just renewed his contract recently, didn't they?

I think with the players you've got at your disposal, he's sort of got no more room to hide from excuses - United need to win something this season (and I think they've been knocked out of one cup already?).

On the other side of the coin, you've got Cristiano Ronaldo so there's a good chance he can paper over cracks and get you wins and have you contending for silverware on pure quality alone even if United play like shit.

Honestly, I think the time is coming where the right thing for United to do is be rid of him and get a better manager in. We're not quite talking Arteta levels of out-of-depth-ness... but I do think it's concerning for United fans that he's been unable to build a functional midfield with the players at his disposal imo.

2 hours ago, Stan said:

But they'd both travel back at the same time, no?

Yeah, they'd probably fly back on the same flight tbh. He might not be able to play.

Or City don't give a fuck about jet lag or whatever reason the Brazilian lads can't play, I dunno xD

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, Happy Blue said:

Zinc & Gundogan likely out but have trained this week

Ederson

Walker - Dias - Laporte - Cancelo

De Bruyne - Rodrigo - Grealish

Bernardo - Jesus - Foden

BENCH:- Steffen, Stones, Ake, Fernandinho, Mahrez, Sterling, Torres

What even is the point in playing your game? You've already won 5-0.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Devil said:

It's a pretty odd one isn't it Saturday, feel like both of us are really underperforming, your league position isn't alarming but I think relative to your fixtures, and expectation it's disappointing and you've got to improve to get back on any kind of track. Ours is sort of similar - it's a slow start but it's not been slow enough to attract any real attention, yet I feel like performance wise I can only name 3 sides I think we've definitely been better than. Neither of us have had particularly tough fixtures so far.

With Rodgers supposedly pledging his commitment in saying no to the Newcastle interest I do wonder if that'll give us a new lease of life, but in truth I don't think it's as simple as that. No result would shock me in all honesty.

• Administrator
49 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Patrick Vieira's return to The Emirates is of far more interest than all the fixtures you've mentioned.

ahh yes, the stadium he never played at for Arsenal :D 

1 minute ago, Stan said:

ahh yes, the stadium he never played at for Arsenal :D 

Whether you're in the directors section, or the lounge, or outside the front of the stadium there's reminders of everything he achieved as Captain of the greatest team in Premier League history. Wherever Arsenal are is where his home is.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived