talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Russia and Ukraine

football forum

Just now, 6666 said:

Does something like this ever end well?

"10 000 bank robberies, murders and assaults have been committed by Ukrainian citizens" Interior minister. 

More seriously, I assume it's to a reserve army or national guard or the like. Normal people with no training aren't going to fight, not effectively anyway. And if random Ukrainian civilians start shooting at Russian troops, Russian troops will start shooting at random Ukrainian citizens. 

12 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

They think Putin didn't expect there would be anti war support from a nation of 150 million people? 

Todays society is odd. Everyone just sees things so black and white. 

Everyone in Russia is evil. The protestors must be all the foreigners in the country. Only explanation.

3 hours ago, Coma said:

Cutting off Russia's funds will get to the bottom of this.  They're still very dependent on the west when it comes to banking, finance, cash flow, etc. as was mentioned above.  When the Russian moneymen start getting hit in the pocket they will put pressure on Putin.  The question is will anyone have the balls to do it?

That sounds like WW2! I think that is too provocative IMO

3 hours ago, Coma said:

Cutting off Russia's funds will get to the bottom of this.  They're still very dependent on the west when it comes to banking, finance, cash flow, etc. as was mentioned above.  When the Russian moneymen start getting hit in the pocket they will put pressure on Putin.  The question is will anyone have the balls to do it?

That sounds like WW2! I think that is too provocative IMO

1 hour ago, Machado said:

Artful Dodger needed to tell us how every other living thing on the planet would be better off if we got wiped out.

That is probably right to be fair 

The only time a NATO member was attacked was in 60s when India took Goa from Portugal through force but NATO didn't got involved. Although I think that was different, it was a period of decolonisation and everyone including NATO was against Portugal clinging on it's colonies

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I'm not concerned about ww3 until either Russia starts Nato hopping, or, in 10 years, China, who are watching the wests response to this and laughing, start invading western land (because the west don't care about Tibet, Taiwan, Hong Kong or India. 

CCP in 2008 made a policy to not engage in any direct conflict till 2025, focus only on targeted economic goals. They seem to ahead than schedule 

5 hours ago, RondónEFC said:

I'd love to be wrong but if Putin gets away with this it probably marks the end of the West being able to cow the less liberal and democratic superpowers. If we're being honest, Russia and China can pretty much walk all over the US and Europe now. To believe that we have any power to tell them to back off or else is now a pretence. Just got to hope Putin doesn't go on to test the waters with the NATO countries on his doorstep because then it either will be WW3 or there will be no military response which will be an acceptance of effective powerlessness from the Western nations.

Western powers played the war on terror card for too long. The time for telling Russia China to back off was in 2008-11 when they were building their muscle. Now the balance of power has changed.

26 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Germany and Italy having reluctance to cut Russia from SWIFT is disappointing.

I hope they’ve got an alternative way of responding strongly to this that is serious yet not serious enough to escalate tensions and drag more countries into conflict.

Spoiler, they dont. 

• Upvote 2

Direct engagement with Russian troops is out of equation unless a definite NATO member is attacked. 

Sanctions aren't hurting Putin much, he has his war chest. The only way to respond strongly is blocking the Black Sea straits for Russia. Turkey has the authority under the agreement but won't do it unless given absolute backing by NATO. 

• The title was changed to Russia and Ukraine