talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Kalvin Phillips Completes Move to Man City

On 21/05/2022 at 02:21, OrangeKhrush said:

we bought Bruno for 34m there is no way Phillips is worth 30m on his output.  

That's not really how it works though - and ultimately you're talking about buying two players from two different markets.

You paid £34m for Bruno from a Lyon side that was cash strapped and struggling in Ligue 1. Phillips plays for a side that struggled in the Prem, sure, that's a similarity... but Leeds aren't exactly strapped for cash (they're owned by the same people who own the San Francisco 49ers) and buying from England means you pay the premium for "premiership proven players."

He's one of the players Leeds will be most desperate to hang onto (especially if Raphina makes the big move he's expected to), so I imagine they'd want more money than they'd receive from if they stay in the league or the relegation parachute payments.

Plus with your owners, everyone is going to be trying to squeeze every penny out of your club for any potential signings you make... because why wouldn't they?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, 6666 said:

I'll actually be surprised if he consistently does well at a big club where expectations exist and he's being judged every game.

that was the problem with wan bissaka, the pressure playing in a goldfish bowl may be to much.   

he will probably stay at leeds

Some of the comments on here are baffling.

£30m? Overhyped? Doubt he could manage expectations at a big club (Yeah because after all, he's at a small one now and it's not like the city doesn't worship him...)

All I'll say is this. He could go, he could stay. I'm not naive to it, if you asked me right now, I'd say he'd probably stay another season now.

If he goes, I don't think we'd sell for less than £50m and rightly so because anything less is an insult for what is our talisman. If you don't think he's worth it, move on, don't pay it, abd shop around, simple.

He has always rose to a challenge, we're talking about one of the few players in recent times that was representing England in the Championship, and he's got used to being in that company. Had a great Euro's where I think he finally earned back some respect off many that doubted his inclusion and we've missed him big time this season gone with his injury. Thank god he came back to play a part when he did, sorely missed.

Bielsa transformed him. He took everything on board and adapted his game to be the player he is now. Can you imagine if someone like Pep got hold of him? He could get better, I don't think he's reached his ceiling as a player yet.

Anyway, we'll see what happens now we've stayed up. Our hand is much stronger when it comes to KP and Raphinha than it would have been had we gone down.

On 23/05/2022 at 22:52, Dr. Gonzo said:

That's not really how it works though - and ultimately you're talking about buying two players from two different markets.

You paid £34m for Bruno from a Lyon side that was cash strapped and struggling in Ligue 1. Phillips plays for a side that struggled in the Prem, sure, that's a similarity... but Leeds aren't exactly strapped for cash (they're owned by the same people who own the San Francisco 49ers) and buying from England means you pay the premium for "premiership proven players."

He's one of the players Leeds will be most desperate to hang onto (especially if Raphina makes the big move he's expected to), so I imagine they'd want more money than they'd receive from if they stay in the league or the relegation parachute payments.

Plus with your owners, everyone is going to be trying to squeeze every penny out of your club for any potential signings you make... because why wouldn't they?

our club may be owned by rich consortiums but FFP means our budget is what we make in income which cannot exceed 15m per season for 3 years so in reality no the club is not filthy rich unless we are stupid enough to announce to the world like spurs did that we are injecting 150m into the club.

3 hours ago, OrangeKhrush said:

our club may be owned by rich consortiums but FFP means our budget is what we make in income which cannot exceed 15m per season for 3 years so in reality no the club is not filthy rich unless we are stupid enough to announce to the world like spurs did that we are injecting 150m into the club.

You’ll just do what city and psg do and your owners will have a bullshit sponsorship deal with another Saudi public fund company artificially inflating your income xD

City and PSG have given the blueprint for getting around FFP and if UEFA catches a violation you just don’t comply with their investigation like City until it’s too late and the statute of limitations has run then take it to CAS

8 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

You’ll just do what city and psg do and your owners will have a bullshit sponsorship deal with another Saudi public fund company artificially inflating your income xD

City and PSG have given the blueprint for getting around FFP and if UEFA catches a violation you just don’t comply with their investigation like City until it’s too late and the statute of limitations has run then take it to CAS

This. When you’re cheating at human rights, does anyone take them seriously when it comes to rules in sport? Do they fuck.

45 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

* on their trophies. 

5 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

This. When you’re cheating at human rights, does anyone take them seriously when it comes to rules in sport? Do they fuck.

Well Man United have been taking money from Saudi Arabia for over 10 years,  a lot of that moneys. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Kalvin Phillips - Man City Reportedly Make £50m Bid
13 minutes ago, Coma said:

He won't go for 50m.  England international with the inflated English market?  Try 80m.

Sadly, I think he'll go for less than we want. Got this feeling.

Being completely honest, £80m is a too high. We could have been talking that fresh off the back of the Euro's and his first season up for us last summer but the valuation will have dropped because of the lack of game time he's had season just gone.

I will be disappointed if it's not close to £60m though. That for me is a fair price for someone who is not just bordering on coming into his prime but is a talisman for our club.

That may seem high to everyone else but when you see what other English players move for, you quite rightly want the same if it involves one of your players and he is capable of playing for a club like City.

Sadly, I do think he'll go in the end. He'll want to test himself and as City have an England contingent there, it will twist his arm more. You can 100% guarantee Pep will have spoken to Marcelo about Phillips before persuing this.

6 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Being completely honest, £80m is a too high. We could have been talking that fresh off the back of the Euro's and his first season up for us last summer but the valuation will have dropped because of the lack of game time he's had season just gone.

I will be disappointed if it's not close to £60m though. That for me is a fair price for someone who is not just bordering on coming into his prime but is a talisman for our club.

That may seem high to everyone else but when you see what other English players move for, you quite rightly want the same if it involves one of your players and he is capable of playing for a club like City.

Sadly, I do think he'll go in the end. He'll want to test himself and as City have an England contingent there, it will twist his arm more. You can 100% guarantee Pep will have spoken to Marcelo about Phillips before persuing this.

I was kinda hoping he'd stay one more year and that they'd just sell Raphinha.  And I don't think it's ridiculous to expect 80m when you have a donkey like McGuire going for that or more.  West Ham want 100m+ for Rice, who is a comparable player.

2 minutes ago, Lucas said:

It's crap to have your best players cherry picked so feel for you mate but you should be able to get a good replacement for 50-60million, who would you want? 

9 minutes ago, Coma said:

I was kinda hoping he'd stay one more year and that they'd just sell Raphinha.  And I don't think it's ridiculous to expect 80m when you have a donkey like McGuire going for that or more.  West Ham want 100m+ for Rice, who is a comparable player.

I completely agree with your reasoning on Maguire and Rice and thinking on where Phillips fits into that, especially when you consider Grealish went for £100m also.

I just can't see us getting £80m for him. Historically as a club, we've never held out for good fee's for our players and I think they'll get itchy fingers soon as they see the pound signs, especially if Radrizzani is thinking about selling the club.

Also, KP's current deal runs to 2024. That's two seasons. Maybe if it was four years or even three, we'd have that extra bit of security to turn away big bids but they'll be concious if he had another bad injury, it could end up being even less.

I'll be gutted to see him go. Raphinha I can take but Phillips too would be crushing. Maybe if we sell Raphinha, it might put us in a good position to play hardball with City but I've not seen enough proof of that in the past to suggest it'll happen.

1 minute ago, Lucas said:

I completely agree with your reasoning on Maguire and Rice and thinking on where Phillips fits into that, especially when you consider Grealish went for £100m also.

I just can't see us getting £80m for him. Historically as a club, we've never held out for good fee's for our players and I think they'll get itchy fingers soon as they see the pound signs, especially if Radrizzani is thinking about selling the club.

I'll be gutted to see him go. Raphinha I can take but Phillips too would be crushing. Maybe if we sell Raphinha, it might put us in a good position to play hardball with City but I've not seen enough proof of that in the past to suggest it'll happen.

I have no doubt that there's enough goodwill between the club and Phillips that Radz won't prevent him from a big move but the price has to be right and inline with market value for an England international.  I also agree that Leeds have been bent over in the past for their top talent but that was a different time and under different ownership.  I'd like to think things have changed.  It remains to be seen whether I'm right on that.

10 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

It's crap to have your best players cherry picked so feel for you mate but you should be able to get a good replacement for 50-60million, who would you want? 

We wouldn't spend that type of money on a replacement. We're getting this Roca guy in regardless, so if Phillips goes, we will definitely target another player.

Personally, I think we'd move for James Garner from Man U. We do like him and he's young, fits the profile of our club. Either that, or we'll dip into the European market for a player without paying over the odds.

But if I could pick a player Connor Gallagher I'd love.

50 minutes ago, Lucas said:

It will be reported that City pay you around £50m but they will pay you around £70m.

That's what they did with Halaand and its how they cook the books.

You'll get a £20m back hander. 

21 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

It will be reported that City pay you around £50m but they will pay you around £70m.

That's what they did with Halaand and its how they cook the books.

You'll get a £20m back hander. 

He's release clause was £51million mate :4_joy: who ever agreed that low amount must be kicking themselves now with he's current value being around £150million 

Did you know he has a 44% conversation rate :1_grinning: thats like every other shots a goal :4_joy:

33 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I don't think he fits city at all. He's a physical bully, but his ball distribution and one touch football isn't at that level. 

That's all we need him to do, win possession and guard the gates when Rodrigo is being rested, he doesn't need to do any fancy passes, just win the ball and give it to the nearest team mate 😂 ..reminds me of this midfield enforcer a bit, was my favourite player :5_smiley:

112269007_original.jpg

1 hour ago, Lucas said:

We wouldn't spend that type of money on a replacement. We're getting this Roca guy in regardless, so if Phillips goes, we will definitely target another player.

Personally, I think we'd move for James Garner from Man U. We do like him and he's young, fits the profile of our club. Either that, or we'll dip into the European market for a player without paying over the odds.

But if I could pick a player Connor Gallagher I'd love.

Gallagher would be a good buy, or Bowen, Declan Rice would prob be crazy money 😂 ..we have some good youth mid's in Palmer, McAtee and Lavia you might be able to loan too

1 hour ago, Happy Blue said:

He's release clause was £51million mate :4_joy: who ever agreed that low amount must be kicking themselves now with he's current value being around £150million 

Did you know he has a 44% conversation rate :1_grinning: thats like every other shots a goal :4_joy:

Darwin has a higher conversion rate.. best in Europe intact :D

• The title was changed to Kalvin Phillips Completes Move to Man City

Archived