• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Leeds 3-0 Chelsea - Sunday 21st August, 2022

football forum

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well well well...what happened there?

That was the best performance I have seen under Marsch. Pure energy, tenacity, intense, in your face football. 

And that first goal summed up the whole game. Chelsea wanting time on the ball and not getting it.

Tyler Adams and Marc Roca set the tempo and were supurb in the centre, espeically the former, he looks well at home in this system mopping up danger.

But for me, in Brendan Aaronson, we have got the player Bielsa was crying out for last season. My god does he make us tick. What a talent he looks in this league.

Harrison is in really good form too right now, we are seeing regualar end product with him, but what has happened to Rodrigo I don't know. I've not seen this player for two years but confidence in a footballer is a magical thing and he's flying right now. 

Elland Road when we are like that is just special. They played their part.

Not got much to say about Chelsea other than Koulibaly was walking a tightrope far too much after that early yellow but honestly, James is wasted at RCB. Loftus Cheek was far easier for Struijk to deal with. They should try Cucurella LCB and use Chilwell LWB with James RWB. But thats just me.

Should have been three for three after letting a 2 goal lead slip last week but 7pts from 9 I'd have taken all day at the start. Plenty to work on and onwards and upwards.

Tuchel.... 

image.thumb.png.d7e724e4da271b03df709d42136dc392.png

So it was because the coaching staff had to take a bus... 

I must have missed that bit where we were clearly the better team and had all those big chances??? The only big chance I saw was the one where Mendy could of hoofed the ball upfield to prevent Leeds from scoring but instead decided to try and be Lionel Messi and totally ended up with egg on his face... 

• Administrator
58 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Outstanding lack of everything other than stupidity today... 

49 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Not to worry. I am sure Tuchel will make another joke about Jorginho taking penalties later. 

You'll make amends in your next fixture. Playing potentially the 2nd worst side in the league that has no confidence, unsettled players and a stubborn manager that refuses to change tact. 

9 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Tuchel.... 

I must have missed that bit where we were clearly the better team and had all those big chances??? The only big chance I saw was the one where Mendy could of hoofed the ball upfield to prevent Leeds from scoring but instead decided to try and be Lionel Messi and totally ended up with egg on his face... 

Someone give Tuchel some specs. Cleary the better team? Totally in change? 

Biggest gripe is he made no mention of not one of our players matching Leeds' intensity when they had a week to prepare. This was the biggest issue. Not the own goal. Not the mistakes. It's being unprepared. 

15 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Tuchel.... 

It must be Shark week for Tuchel.

He's definitely on time of the month isn't he.

I can't help think that we still sometimes have that complacency about us when we play teams like Leeds where because it's not a Liverpool/United/Man City affair that we seem to deem them less worthy of our 100% attention, It's like we seem as though we can just stroll around for 90 minutes get a couple of goals and go home with 3 points.. 

Well we got our arses kicked today... I expect more tails between our legs moments to come as well and the excuses can only go so far.. 

7 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

I can't help think that we still sometimes have that complacency about us when we play teams like Leeds where because it's not a Liverpool/United/Man City affair that we seem to deem them less worthy of our 100% attention, It's like we seem as though we can just stroll around for 90 minutes get a couple of goals and go home with 3 points.. 

Well we got our arses kicked today... I expect more tails between our legs moments to come as well and the excuses can only go so far.. 

I think what's worse is that you only showed last week a great intensity in your game against Spurs. It was a solid performance.

So you clearly have it in you, but you took us far too lightly.

Problem is in this league, you cannot pick and choose what games to get up for or you get caught cold. 

6 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I think what's worse is that you only showed last week a great intensity in your game against Spurs. It was a solid performance.

So you clearly have it in you, but you took us far too lightly.

Exactly... We were focused and solid for Spurs, controlled so much of the play which gave me ( false ) high hopes for the game today and yet as @Cicero pointed out we lacked any intensity or drive and a complete lack of cohesion in the final third.. 

As you say for a team that's supposed to be competing for all the top trophies we can't pick and choose what games we turn up for.. Our heads dropped once they got the second goal.. We still lack a decent leader in the side and the other question will be if Tuchel has had a big input into bringing in the players he believes can do a good job for him then he will need to deliver off the back of it.. If all that money has been spent and we finish somewhere between 4th and 7th come the end of the season then questions need to be asked.. 

I expected a drop off this season to a degree and these sorts of results are the reason why.. 

1 hour ago, Stan said:

You'll make amends in your next fixture. Playing potentially the 2nd worst side in the league that has no confidence, unsettled players and a stubborn manager that refuses to change tact. 

Only 3 games in and we are in decline already... Won the first one, Drew the second one, Lost the third one.. We are in a death spiral

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Bluewolf said:

Only 3 games in and we are in decline already... Won the first one, Drew the second one, Lost the third one.. We are in a death spiral

image.png

Join the club :D 

I hoped this might happen but was quite surprised it did.

Chelsea hate us and the rivalry is mutual on our side - they are always up for us. We have a a weird mental block around them and only them. Last week, in the first half, was the only time I've seen Chelsea play well in a very long time.

The warning signs were there last week. They can complain about the referee all they like but both of our goals were easily avoidable if they'd defended properly (Jorginho for the first and their failure to mark a corner for the second) and Leeds ruthlessly exploited it today. They didn't seem to know what they were doing going forward other than hoping Sterling would pull something out of the hat. It seems like Tuchel has an aversion to actual strikers.

Tuchel is such a passive-aggressive knob as well. 

Leeds were brilliant and I'm pleased for Marsch. He's done everything he was asked to do when he joined Leeds and, from outside the club, received very little credit. This was a statement victory.

This is a likable Leeds team as well. My dad is a Man Utd fan and I would get a look of withering contempt if I said I hope they stay up but why not, it's exciting and he doesn't know I post on this forum...

3 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

Maybe Tuchel is good at nullifying the opposition in big matches but when he has to impose a proactive style against teams, he's found wanting? 

Poor performance today, from the start you could see Jorginho can't play at this pace or in the league at all. Gallagher gave his best but couldn't cover so much ground. Our attack was flat and apart from Sterling no one looked like doing anything. Perhaps i am wrong but the calamity opener caused by Mendy gave Leeds wings and a two goal lead in five minutes, after that we looked like we are dead and buried. In the second the change of formation seemed to cause us looking better but with no clear chances apart from a few long ranged shots and the third goal conceded. Credit to Leeds deserved the win outplayed us in every department. What i always hated is that against Chelsea every team performs like it is a UCL final, the sad fact is that we didn't learn that years ago and start every game slow and clumpsy. Our lack of plan B is still an evident problem and the 3-4-3 in this system is read by most teams just crowd the midfield and you will win the game. Lack of midfield also proved bad for us today as both of our starters are out and we missed their energy. Oh well we move on and Leicester City next at the Bridge. 

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, Tar-Mairon said:

I know Conte's mad. He doesn't hide who he is.

Tuchel tries to hide it with superficial charm.

Tuchel has absolutely no charm about him at all. 

We needed to keep a clean sheet as without either Kante or Kovacic we did not have pace in our midfield. Reuben Loftus-Cheek although having some quality on the wing does not give us pace either.

Mendy gifted them a goal when all he had to do was kick it out of play if he was uncomfortable. Not for the first time he has made a bad mistake.

Due to Broja's injury too we could not make any improvement to our misfiring forwards.

Pulisic later only succeeded in headbutting a Leeds defender when going for a cross.

Leeds played with high energy and whether it was a one-off or he is going through a purple patch Rodrigo looked a decent player and better than any time I saw him last season.

It is looking like we may be weaker this season than last season if this injury trend continues.

Of course there is the winter window, Leeds on the hand are looking decent.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived