talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

UK Politics & Brexit Discussion

football forums

• Subscriber
23 minutes ago, Inverted said:

And in the Daily Mail and Spectator too, apparently. 

The Guido Fawkes and The Core types are sensational right now. Tom Harwood is doing the rounds this morning on tv and radio. 

What it boils down to is self-professed right wing activists claiming that independent and even right-leaning journalists and newspapers are only criticising Cummings and Johnson because of their political motivations. About 24 more hours they'll be desperate enough to start claiming that "the left think the public are stupid enough to buy into this" as they've done in the past and they'll have to rewrite the definition of irony.

The longer they fight this, the more damage they'll do to their own credibility because they've already lost. The longer Dominic Cummings stays in post now, the more damage he does to his own project as Johnson and his cult are currently siphoning support across the country. 

21 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Dont really agree with that to be fair. I have no sympathy for him and his wife but pretty fucking unpleasant for the 4 year old boy.

Save it for outside Downing Street if you want to have your say.

Boris can resign if it’s too much for his kid, the fucking cunt

So what do we make of the Cummings showing then?? 

Seems as though they have gone down a couple of routes to hedge their bets on this one... First thing was to try and distance Johnson from the whole debacle by stating that he never informed the PM of his trip to Durham even though the PM has known about it for some time only mentioning it after it leaked but not a murmer before.. The second was going for the sympathy vote, Being threatened, home exposed, family in danger needing to get away to somewhere safer etc and trying to heavily play on the reasonable thing to do under the circumstances and hope everyone calms down now they know the facts of the matter... 

For the most part it will probably dampen a few fires while they get all those waywards on board to give it their seal of approval and hope that the matter will be dropped.... 

Tough going for a bloke who is standing his ground against well, pretty much everyone that asked him a question today but still not decent enough to admit that he was wrong to do it because doing that would have left him no choice but to step down.. And watching him trying to explain away that drive to the castle was painful, doing it to test his eyes my arse.. that was poor, also not checking if he was ok to go there in the first place but checking if it was ok to return?? 

Clearly uncomfortable during some points raised and because of the one sided tsunami of questions talking about his responsibilities and the message it sends out etc they may be able to go down the 'victim of the media circus' route.... Be interesting to see which side of the fence people fall on now after that or if it will calm things down or not.. 

Also whoever it was making that fucking racket at the beginning in a sad attempt to interrupt the whole thing needs a smack in the mouth... 

• Administrator

That press conference was a shocker then wasn't it?!

That excuse for driving to Barnard Castle is an absolute joke as well. WTF was he saying?!

'My eyesight was poor so I drove 30 mins to the castle to see if it was safe for me to drive'. And he had his kid in the back too! Dangerous in itself as well not only to other road users/vehicles, but his own wife and kid. 

I mean, come on now, what the fuck does he take us for? It saddens me there'll be people to lap that kind of shit up as well and take it at face value because they can't get out of his or Boris' arse. 

Oh and also, as if they travelled 4-5 hours up to Durham without stopping, at all. 

For all the fathers on here, how many times have you gone on a very long journey while with young kids and not had to stop?

Just now, Stan said:

That press conference was a shocker then wasn't it?!

That excuse for driving to Barnard Castle is an absolute joke as well. WTF was he saying?!

'My eyesight was poor so I drove 30 mins to the castle to see if it was safe for me to drive'. And he had his kid in the back too! Dangerous in itself as well not only to other road users/vehicles, but his own wife and kid. 

I mean, come on now, what the fuck does he take us for? It saddens me there'll be people to lap that kind of shit up as well and take it at face value because they can't get out of his or Boris' arse. 

Oh and also, as if they travelled 4-5 hours up to Durham without stopping, at all. 

For all the fathers on here, how many times have you gone on a very long journey while with young kids and not had to stop?

I put something up in the Covid thread so if you want to move it to here then please do mate.. 

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

So what do we make of the Cummings showing then?? 

Seems as though they have gone down a couple of routes to hedge their bets on this one... First thing was to try and distance Johnson from the whole debacle by stating that he never informed the PM of his trip to Durham even though the PM has known about it for some time only mentioning it after it leaked but not a murmer before.. The second was going for the sympathy vote, Being threatened, home exposed, family in danger needing to get away to somewhere safer etc and trying to heavily play on the reasonable thing to do under the circumstances and hope everyone calms down now they know the facts of the matter... 

For the most part it will probably dampen a few fires while they get all those waywards on board to give it their seal of approval and hope that the matter will be dropped.... 

Tough going for a bloke who is standing his ground against well, pretty much everyone that asked him a question today but still not decent enough to admit that he was wrong to do it because doing that would have left him no choice but to step down.. And watching him trying to explain away that drive to the castle was painful, doing it to test his eyes my arse.. that was poor, also not checking if he was ok to go there in the first place but checking if it was ok to return?? 

Clearly uncomfortable during some points raised and because of the one sided tsunami of questions talking about his responsibilities and the message it sends out etc they may be able to go down the 'victim of the media circus' route.... Be interesting to see which side of the fence people fall on now after that or if it will calm things down or not.. 

Also whoever it was making that fucking racket at the beginning in a sad attempt to interrupt the whole thing needs a smack in the mouth... 

Johnson not knowing is believable given that he was ill himself at the time. A former SpAd tweeted saying that there's 'no way Cummings goes to the toilet without Johnson knowing about it' but this PM probably isn't quite as meticulous as most and he was ill so benefit of the doubt there.

The being threatened thing was weird. Having Covid doesn't make any difference to their normal security arrangements and if it's that bad that they need to leave town, why is that only the case when the Mrs is ill? The two don't seem to be related to me.

The castle explanation was ridiculous. Going for an hour plus drive to see whether you can drive is just bizarre and it's been confirmed that his wife can drive so what the actual fuck they're thinking of here I don't know. I can believe that his eyesight was dodgy but just happening to drive to a beauty spot and have a 15 minute sit by a river on what happens to be your wife's birthday is suspect as fuck.

His bottom line is that he was being reasonable because he was dealing with exceptional circumstances. There are two parents in their household looking after one child. He admits they didn't get help with childcare in Durham. Thousands of people across the country with more kids, and many without a partner to help them, have gone down sick with this. If it gets to the point where you're both so sick you can't look after your kids then you call for help. You can't take emergency action to help yourself and your household during a national crisis just to eradicate your own worry of something serious that might happen.

The issue always remains, if everyone else in the same situation had done what he did, more people would have caught the virus and more people would have died.

The daftest thing is, if they'd just owned this from the start instead of talking about campaigning newspapers and going into fight mode it wouldn't have been as damaging but unfortunately it's in the nature of this administration to react like that.

• Administrator
29 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

I put something up in the Covid thread so if you want to move it to here then please do mate.. 

Done. Think we typed up at similar times!

• Subscriber

I'm inclined to suggest that we move all the political speak about the UK to this thread from now on. Most of our friends from other parts of the world have been driven away from the actual Covid thread because of our obsessive ramblings about the UK's specific handling of it.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I'm inclined to suggest that we move all the political speak about the UK to this thread from now on. Most of our friends from other parts of the world have been driven away from the actual Covid thread because of our obsessive ramblings about the UK's specific handling of it.

Good point... 

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

What the hell are you on about?

'friends'?!

1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

1 minute ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Wouldn't Cummings be better of just admitting he's a cunt and he shouldn't have done it rather than making excuses ?

President of Austria just did that after he broke lockdown rules. Though not quite the same. He stayed in a restaurant beyond the time it was legally allowed to be open. Blamed chatting and losing track of time.

1 minute ago, Harvsky said:

President of Austria just did that after he broke lockdown rules. Though not quite the same. He stayed in a restaurant beyond the time it was legally allowed to be open. Blamed chatting and losing track of time.

So he admitted he was wrong? I generally thing people are more excepting if you just admit you shouldn't have done it

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

So he admitted he was wrong? I generally thing people are more excepting if you just admit you shouldn't have done it

Agree with this.

It's the lack of openness, honesty and accountability for it all.

I still didn't hear any kind of apology earlier unless I missed it? 

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

Agree with this.

It's the lack of openness, honesty and accountability for it all.

I still didn't hear any kind of apology earlier unless I missed it? 

What do you want me to say sorry for?:ph34r:

• Subscriber
12 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

The restaurant was already closed "officially" though and the president's bill was already paid, so technically, they didn't even break any rules apparently xD 

• Subscriber

If Cummings achieved one thing today his half truths seem to have fed enough dimwits on Twitter to start tweeting about the evil MSM and "the left" again so the debate has become a little less one-sided. Some examples of clear twitter trolls who want us to know that, to them, this is still nothing more than a football match:

Wait what? Now I'm hearing that these tweets are coming from Tory MPs! Surely not?

• Subscriber

If anyone was wondering, this is what happens when you engage with the right wing keyboard warriors on Twitter. First I replied to The Core's tweet, they blocked me when my reply got the most likes of any of their actual followers. Then a guy replied calling me a bot and blocked me before I had a chance to reply 😂

Screenshot_20200525-235238_Twitter.thumb.jpg.4272b9bfeb1afce6e28f5e593a83782c.jpg

• Haha 1