talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Australians Only Thread

football forum

39 minutes ago, Spike said:

Attempted murder/intimidation of Jordan Shanks last night, someone set his home on fire. @Devil-Dick Willie 

Was only a matter of time. The thing that gives him huge outreach is his comedy and that probably stalled this kind of thing for a while, but it's becoming increasingly clear that he has an influence over a big chunk of young voters, and their eyes are being opened to the evil shit gaming NSW, the NSW government, the NSW police and the Liberals nationally are accountable for. He is a threat to the protection racket the afore mentioned groups run on themselves and im not at all surprised someone has reached out to silence him. 

• Subscriber

Australia’s approach to cyber security lacks citizen engagement

Citizens key to resilience in the face of cyber threats.

A.png

Australia’s cyber security strategies advocate for a ‘whole-of-society’ response to countering foreign interference threats, but policy experts say efforts to engage the public are largely tokenistic.

Researchers from Flinders University surveyed 1500 Australians and undertook in-depth focus groups across three states in late 2020 to assess public attitudes to institutional trust, digital literacy and perceptions of cyber threats.

The research findings, published in Defence Studies, highlight a gap between policy rhetoric and action. The authors characterise Australia’s response as “top-down”, “technocratic” and “elite-driven”.

According to the study, citizens’ attitudes and engagement are the key to resilience in the face of cyber threats, given foreign interference often seeks to undermine trust in democracy, manipulate public opinion, sow distrust and emphasise society’s underlying divides.

Cyber-enabled foreign interference can come in many forms including disinformation, hacking, doxing, ransomware attacks, trolling, and the use of bots.

Co-author Associate Professor Robert Manwaring says, “there’s generally little meaningful strategic effort to engage citizens in government-led responses, overlooking what’s often called the ‘social layer’ of cybersecurity.”

The research finds Australia’s policy approach largely regards the public as passive, rather than as engaged and empowered to combat cyber threats.

The paper highlights key areas where public attitudes about democracy, institutions and cyber threats are potential fodder for foreign actors.

Survey responses indicate Australians lack confidence in the integrity and honesty of public officials, influence over policy making, transparency and accountability.

For instance, around 80% of survey respondents consider public officials not using public office for private gain as a fundamental feature of democracy, yet only 39% see this practice upheld in Australia.

In addition, while the public service and security institutions of the police and armed forces enjoy high levels of trust, respondents overwhelmingly agree that Australia’s institutions are out of touch with regular people and run by “big interests.”

The paper says such disillusion is ripe for exploitation and can hamper state-led responses to cyber threats.

The survey results also show Australian citizens lack confidence in their ability to identify mis and dis information online, with only 20% “very confident” in their own media and digital literacy skills.

Australia’s cyber defences would be bolstered by a stronger focus on understanding citizens’ concerns and narratives, the researchers conclude.

Manwaring says, “we need to encourage a genuinely whole-of-society approach – something which, like Sweden and Finland, are making considerable inroads.”

https://cosmosmagazine.com/australia/cyber-security-citizen-engagement/

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

100-million-year-old fossil dug up in Australian outback might be a new species

download.png

Aussie fossil hunters have unearthed the continent’s first elasmosaur fossil in western Queensland.

The 100-million-year-old head and body bones of the marine reptile were uncovered by three fossil enthusiasts who regularly trawl the ranges of their privately-owned outback station searching for ancient remains.

Their previous expeditions have found the remnants of kronosaurus, ichthyosaurs, and prehistoric fish and turtles.

What’s most exciting about the elasmosaur discovery is the retrieval of both body and head fossils at the same time – a new milestone the Queensland Museum has described as like finding the Rosetta Stone for marine palaeontology.

Elasmosaurs are a type of plesiosaur – a long-necked marine reptile – that coexisted with dinosaurs during the cretaceous period (contrary to popular belief, not all large ancient reptiles are of the dinosauria grouping).

“We have never found a body and a head together and this could hold the key to future research in this field,” says Dr Espen Knutsen, the senior scientist and curator of palaeontology at Queensland Museum.

e48f3fe5-8000-4166-9468-96b66bec799d.png

Queenslanders love water, and it was especially the case in the cretaceous period

There are few things that might seem as counterintuitive than finding the remains of a long-necked marine reptile in the middle of the dry, Australian outback.

But such is the passage of time.

During the Cretaceous period (146-65 million years ago) when elasmosaurs swam the Earth, much of the landmass today associated with Queensland was submerged beneath a shallow sea and located at latitudes much closer to the Earth’s south pole.

The presence of this land-covering sea is why the region is today home to the regular discovery of marine reptile fossils. Among palaeontologists, Queensland is considered one of the world’s most fertile regions for unearthing dinosaur remnants.

https://cosmosmagazine.com/history/100-million-year-old-fossil-outback-species/

2 hours ago, Toinho said:

You looking outside a major city? 

Do you have a return date to the USA?

I’m just looking online, but where we can afford have no jobs, and we can’t afford places with jobs. I return 11th Jan.

My TF365 Australian hierarchy list 2022 final edition

1. Devil Dick Willie - Great contributions across different subjects throughout the year. Jokes have remained repetitive though

2. Harry - Not as much active this year but by default ahead than others

3. Caac John - Great member

End of list

1 hour ago, Beelzebub said:

My TF365 Australian hierarchy list 2022 final edition

1. Devil Dick Willie - Great contributions across different subjects throughout the year. Jokes have remained repetitive though

2. Harry - Not as much active this year but by default ahead than others

3. Caac John - Great member

End of list

💀@Spike &  @Toinho

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-12-13/qld-police-shooting-officers-rachel-mcrow-matthew-arnold/101764358

Two police officers shot dead during a siege at a property in Queensland's Western Downs have been identified as Constable Rachel McCrow, 29, and Constable Matthew Arnold, 26. 

The officers were attending the property as part of a missing persons report when they were ambushed by three shooters —  two men and a woman —  wearing camouflage. 

A man from a neighbouring property, who has been identified as Alan Dare, was also killed in the siege.

• Subscriber

Australia in line for its second Golden Spike as geologists close on decision to officially mark the start of the Anthropocene

Which point in the world best describes human history?

1.png

An international group of geologists is on the cusp of deciding how to literally mark the times we’re living in.

In 2009, geologists formed the Anthropocene Working Group, to define our current geological epoch.

They asked are we still in the Holocene, which began around 11,000 years ago, or has human activity so dramatically changed the planet’s geology that it needs a new boundary? The term ‘anthropocene’, from Ancient Greek anthropo, meaning human, was coined by Paul Crutzen and Eugene Stoermer in 2000 to illustrate this idea.

In May 2019, the AWG agreed to listing the Anthropocene as a “formal chrono-stratigraphic unit”: that is, an official part of the geographic record. They recognised the start of the Anthropocene as the middle of the 20th Century.

Next in the working group’s line of site is a Global Boundary Stratotype Section and Point, or GSSP.

These GSSPs are markers that define the boundaries of geologic stages. They’re noted in specific locations around the world by “golden spikes”, which note which geologic era the site emerged.

Of the nearly current 80 golden spikes, just one is in the Southern Hemisphere. This golden spike, which marks the Ediacaran period, was featured in Cosmos #91 by journalist Lauren FugeRead the full article.

The Ediacaran period, from around 635 – 540 million years ago, is the final part of the Proterozoic eon, when multicellular life first emerged.

The AWG is currently deciding where the Anthropocene golden spike should be. The working group has narrowed down a list of nine possible locations, one of which is in Australia:

• East Gotland Basin, Baltic Sea
  • Beppu Bay, Japan
  • West Flower Garden Bank, US
  • Flinders Reef, Australia
  • Palmer Ice Sheet, Antarctica
  • Crawford Lake, Canada
  • Sihailongwan Maar, China
  • Searsville Reservoir, US
  • Śnieżka, a mountain on the Polish and Czech border

Flinders Reef, off the coast of South-East Queensland, has been proposed because corals have annual growth bands which reflect their surrounding environment. At Flinders Reef, the markers in these growth bands can be traced back to the 1700s.

West Flower Garden Bank, the other proposed reef site, has similarly traceable markers, stretching back to the 1750s.

The other proposed sites include marine sediments and lake sites, where natural and anthropogenic material has built up largely undisturbed, and ice cores from Antarctica and Śnieżka, where annual snowfalls provide records of atmospheric gases.

At least 60% of the AWG needs to agree on a location before they can decide . They’re hoping to make a decision by the end of 2022.

A comparison of each site, as well as three sites which have already been ruled out, was published in Science in mid-November by the chair and secretary of the AWG.

?id=228994&title=Australia+in+line+for+ihttps://cosmosmagazine.com/history/golden-spike-anthropocene/

Lots of National and One Nation cock sucking out here. My uncle even said he like Scomo

I’m too aggressive when it comes to this so I have to just be quiet, I’m not changing their minds

the one nation posters and signs made me real uncomfortable last time I was here. It was election time I loved explaining to my Asian American wife the particularities of Pauline Hanson’s feeling towards certain people, and why family friends and acquaintances would vote that way.

It truly is painful listening to the member of Maranoa but what can I say, it’s the most conservative part of the country 

@Devil-Dick Willie @Toinho

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Spike said:

Lots of National and One Nation cock sucking out here. My uncle even said he like Scomo

I’m too aggressive when it comes to this so I have to just be quiet, I’m not changing their minds

the one nation posters and signs made me real uncomfortable last time I was here. It was election time I loved explaining to my Asian American wife the particularities of Pauline Hanson’s feeling towards certain people, and why family friends and acquaintances would vote that way.

It truly is painful listening to the member of Maranoa but what can I say, it’s the most conservative part of the country 

@Devil-Dick Willie @Toinho

Damn, it’s a worry isn’t it? 
I met our federal member (Labor MP - area traditionally Liberal and had been for 20+ years I think), the other day as she came into my class to present an award. Seemed okay, but I don’t know all her policy stances tbh but thankfully to my knowledge no one nation nonsense! 

20 minutes ago, Toinho said:

Damn, it’s a worry isn’t it? 
I met our federal member (Labor MP - area traditionally Liberal and had been for 20+ years I think), the other day as she came into my class to present an award. Seemed okay, but I don’t know all her policy stances tbh but thankfully to my knowledge no one nation nonsense! 

Use this mate, just plug in your postcode

https://theyvoteforyou.org.au

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Not the Luck of the Irish this one xD

Kinder Egg: Irishman charged over cocaine find

download.png

An Irishman faces a drug charge in Australia after allegedly being caught with a quantity of cocaine concealed in Kinder Surprise capsules.

Australian Border Force (ABF) officers took the man to hospital for a CT scan after traces of the drug were allegedly found in his baggage at Melbourne International Airport on 28 December.

The 28 year old later excreted six yellow plastic capsules, police said.

They allegedly contained about 120 grams of cocaine.

The man was remanded in custody.

Officers charged the man with one count of importing a marketable quantity of a border controlled drug, namely cocaine.

If convicted he could face up to 25 years in prison.

ABF Acting Supt Ian Beasant warned that anyone attempting to bring drugs into Australia would be caught, regardless of how they were concealed.

"It is not worth risking your health by attempting to internally transport drugs into our country," he said.

The matter will be before the courts again for committal mention in March.