talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Brendan Rodgers Finally Sacked

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

There is no excuse to not pull clear now. I have thrown my weight behind the idea we have the squad but the manager and his negative aura is killing us for a long time. I didn't think they would actually finally do it.

For me it's a shame that somebody who should be remembered so fondly just simply isn't going to be. I can't stress how terrible it turned under him.

Fingers crossed that this was one particular sentimental mental block that Top had for so long and not a general view into how he runs things for us.

• Subscriber

Mad how it was Crystal Palace again. That's actually the first time he's ever lost to them (at least in charge of us). So the last two defeats to Crystal Palace have ended with a manager sacking for us.

It really makes you wonder, if we'd not conceded that Mateta goal whether he'd have survived it. I worry that we as a club take things a bit too black & white at times and that outcome bias has dictated it rather than the fact the process that got us to that point was hugely flawed. The performance was one of the worst I've seen from us at this level.

5 hours ago, Dan said:

There is no excuse to not pull clear now. I have thrown my weight behind the idea we have the squad but the manager and his negative aura is killing us for a long time. I didn't think they would actually finally do it.

For me it's a shame that somebody who should be remembered so fondly just simply isn't going to be. I can't stress how terrible it turned under him.

Fingers crossed that this was one particular sentimental mental block that Top had for so long and not a general view into how he runs things for us.

I disagree.

Right now, his name may well be mud amongst the fanbase but 10 years from now, that'll all be forgotten about whenever Tieleman's FA Cup winner pops up on telly. It's a major part of your history like winning the PL and Rodgers achievement in winning that cup shouldn't be tarnished at all really.

He's not single handedly to blame for where you're at now, he's just played a percentage in it. I'd say he's been stubborn and beligerent at times but equally, you will never quite understand sometimes the limitations that happen behind closed doors.

Your board should not escape flack and neither should the players (they so often do). 

You've made the change though and I'd say you're right to do that. It seems the rest of us have benefitted somewhat from making mangerial changes so I don't blame Leicester for loomong for the same lift.

• Administrator
10 hours ago, Lucas said:

I disagree.

Right now, his name may well be mud amongst the fanbase but 10 years from now, that'll all be forgotten about whenever Tieleman's FA Cup winner pops up on telly. It's a major part of your history like winning the PL and Rodgers achievement in winning that cup shouldn't be tarnished at all really.

He's not single handedly to blame for where you're at now, he's just played a percentage in it. I'd say he's been stubborn and beligerent at times but equally, you will never quite understand sometimes the limitations that happen behind closed doors.

Your board should not escape flack and neither should the players (they so often do). 

You've made the change though and I'd say you're right to do that. It seems the rest of us have benefitted somewhat from making mangerial changes so I don't blame Leicester for loomong for the same lift.

Rodgers doesn't take 100% of the blame, but for me the majority lays at his door. 

Then it'd be the board, and then the players. 

Board should have made this call ages ago. 

Players have had an easy ride of it and haven't performed to best of their ability, but that one can go back to Rodgers as they've clearly been hindered and restricted by the stubbornness. 

I think what a lot of fans couldn't stand about Rodgers, and this is myself included, is that he would constantly blame every single other thing about the club or individuals, but himself. It got so irritating and annoying. The in-game management became so pathetic and predicable as well. Look at our record of losing points from winning positions over the last year approx. We became predictable to play against because it went so stale under Rodgers. 

In the media the board will point toward 'Rodgers wasn't backed'. This is just an outright lie and too short-term focused. Yes, he didn't get any transfers in in summer, but what about all the other windows beforehand over 4 seasons? 

• Subscriber
17 hours ago, Lucas said:

I disagree.

Only time will tell but I think even when Ranieri was sacked so much of the reception from our fans was sadness that it had to happen.

There was a point in time where this would've been the case for Rodgers but we've let this drag on for so long, and he's done / said so many disparaging things about LCFC that I think he's just not particularly liked anymore. It's sad and it should never have had to go that way, but he's just not particularly pleasant. There's never been quite the love for him there should've been, and I include the first couple of years in that as well. There was never quite the camaraderie you would expect given how good things were. Just a sense I got anyway. I think he's just a quite hard character to truly warm to. He's slippery, always got the feeling he thought he was above us etc... and so it proved.

In time the bad times may be forgotten but football fans have long memories. What he served up in the last 18 months, particularly the last year is as inept as I've seen from any manager at this club. It's harder to stomach when it was going so well in the first place.

It's a truly messy situation. Just got to hope now we do dig ourselves out of the mess we've gotten into and take some valuable lessons from it. Vichai's biggest strength was that he seemed to learn from his mistakes. Lets hope Top does as well. The situation is recoverable, I'm glad they finally seem to have realised it.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Rodgers is an absolute fraud tbh. Glad he’s finally been sacked, hopefully he doesn’t manage in England ever again.

I really have just stopped rating him as a manager. There are just far too many flaws to his game. I find it particularly galling, less so now we're not paying the price for it, but an interesting case study in how poor our media are at actually digging into anything when it comes to football. Once you're in you're in. Rodgers is a top manager in the eyes of the media and so many fans now - regardless of what actually happens. A team he took to Europe and won a cup with was in freefall to the Championship but he's an undisputed top manager and that's the final decision. It's baffling to me.

He will go somewhere else and start well providing the pieces are in place for him. Rest assured he will make a mess of it when he gets his claws into it.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Dan said:

He will go somewhere else and start well providing the pieces are in place for him. Rest assured he will make a mess of it when he gets his claws into it.

All the Celtic fans that flooded our forum when he left there were right xD

3 year cycle. After year 2 it sours and he's too stubborn. 

• Subscriber
28 minutes ago, Stan said:

A lot of the die hard Hoops fans up here said you can have Ange Postecoglou, their manager atm if you want, he is just as good as Rogers was. :whistling:

14 minutes ago, Stan said:

Apologies if I misunderstood but I thought you said you'd take him a few weeks back xD

Over Conte! Was more emphasis at how much I wanted him out. But I don't want Rodgers near my club 

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Stan said:

3 year cycle. After year 2 it sours and he's too stubborn. 

They were. I think they were angrier about him abandoning them midseason than him going which in hindsight, yep, fair enough.

I'm glad it's over but the players and fans have got to seriously step up now.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Storts said:

Over Conte! Was more emphasis at how much I wanted him out. But I don't want Rodgers near my club 

xD I've had a few like this, I've come out with some corkers in recent weeks over what I'd have over Rodgers. Now he's gone I've actually got some expectations of who comes in again. I can confirm I don't actually want Martin O'Neill.

I do genuinely believe though that an interim keeps us up.

I actually don't want him to go to Spurs. It would be funny in a way but after the absolute disgrace he's served up in the last 18 months it would be quite galling to see him somehow bag a genuinely good job on the back of it. He deserves to fall into a Championship job for this. And not back here in the summer before someone says it!

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Storts said:

Are you sure :P

4 hours ago, Dan said:

I really have just stopped rating him as a manager. There are just far too many flaws to his game. I find it particularly galling, less so now we're not paying the price for it, but an interesting case study in how poor our media are at actually digging into anything when it comes to football. Once you're in you're in. Rodgers is a top manager in the eyes of the media and so many fans now - regardless of what actually happens. A team he took to Europe and won a cup with was in freefall to the Championship but he's an undisputed top manager and that's the final decision. It's baffling to me.

He's sort of done a mirror image of what he's done at Liverpool with you - although I think his highs with Leicester are higher (he actually managed to win something, rather than his biggest accomplishment being almost winning a league title) - but his lows were lower (probably because we got rid of him quicker).

He's a good short-term manager. He's abysmal at building a team and once the club is in freefall... it's honestly just a nightmare for all the fans involved.

As well as being slimy, he's always struck me as one of those arse-clenchingly unbearable pseudo-intellectuals who speak in constant management talk who seem to think they have an utterly unique insight and genius because they have all the right buzzwords. The type of bellend that repeatedly tells you what they think their strengths are without being asked, they'll constantly tell you about leadership, that they're a "motivator of people" without realizing the people under them loathe them, they don't know what they're doing, failed to lead by example and end up being utterly confused when their "brilliant" motivation fails. The type who do exercises where they think they're motivating you to climb mountains but they're secretly laughing at you. David Brent on steroids.

I do not want him at Spurs, ever.

Can't stand the guy.

You guys need to get off Rodgers back. He is an actual legend of the sport. One time when he was coaching Celtic, in Glasge he was sitting in traffic and a Gers fan came up to his car and congratulated him on his success, shook his hand, and thanked him.

• Subscriber
48 minutes ago, Spike said:

You guys need to get off Rodgers back. He is an actual legend of the sport. One time when he was coaching Celtic, in Glasge he was sitting in traffic and a Gers fan came up to his car and congratulated him on his success, shook his hand, and thanked him.

And...:coffee:

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47mww31o84favz6u0m55

Archived