talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Ivan Toney - Chelsea, Arsenal

football forum

• The title was changed to Ivan Toney - Chelsea Looking to Sign Striker
  • Administrator

But it appears Brentford striker Ivan Toney is the most likely to make the switch across West London this summer.

The 27-year-old, who was suspended from all football-related activity for eight months in May for breaching The FA’s Betting Rules, is someone that fits Pochettino's needs.

And according to the above report, there is an increasing feeling a deal could be struck in the last few days of the window.

That being said, Brentford will hold out for £80 million for their star striker.

Earlier this month, Toney revealed his admiration for Premier League rivals Liverpool and Arsenal after being asked about 'the right club' during an appearance on the Diary Of A CEO podcast.

After saying he wants to play "at the top", Toney said if the chance did come along to play for a club challenging for trophies, then he would be "silly" not to look into it.

https://www.sportbible.com/football/premier-league/brentford-ivan-toney-betting-diary-of-a-ceo-424514-20230821

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Danny said:

Toney is perfect for Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea and United. Will be interesting to see what happens in January, hopefully we can get a bidding war going with clubs desperate for goals from a centre forward.

He came across so badly on that podcast he did, don’t want him anywhere near Spurs, and certainly not for the price you’d want for him. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Storts said:

He came across so badly on that podcast he did, don’t want him anywhere near Spurs, and certainly not for the price you’d want for him. 

I'd rather pour cement down my ears than listen to that podcast in general, so not listened to it, but I do know his club selections he made on there would likely push you off him. But as a player you will struggle to find anyone that will work as hard as he does for the team, doing defensive work, dropping in and creating for others, whilst also being able to bag the goals he bags. Plus he's guaranteed to score penalties which any big team would want.

For a club like Spurs he's going to score 20-25+ goals a season, so the price is fair within the current market, more than fair actually, but if you're looking to benefit from undervalued markets then yeah you'll go a different way.

• 3 months later...

Rumour mill starting back up again, a lot of talk about an Arsenal loan move.

I think as a club we have firm aspirations of a European finish this season and when we have a fully firing front line we will be a problem for anyone in the division on our day.

The only way Toney goes on loan imo is if we get offered it to go permanent at £80m+. Seen reports of £50m which is laughable.

• The title was changed to Ivan Toney - Chelsea, Arsenal
32 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Why would you loan him out though? :|

Seems a very odd rumour.

If we receive the right price for him then I’d imagine we’d do it so that we don’t lose that price in the Summer.

I think it’s very unlikely that we get rid of Toney this January, the ambition at the club has always been to compete as high up the Premier League as possible. An ambition we had in League One. So I think we most likely keep him, but the only thing that prevents that imo is an £80m+ for a man with one year left on his deal.

4 hours ago, Danny said:

Rumour mill starting back up again, a lot of talk about an Arsenal loan move.

I think as a club we have firm aspirations of a European finish this season and when we have a fully firing front line we will be a problem for anyone in the division on our day.

The only way Toney goes on loan imo is if we get offered it to go permanent at £80m+. Seen reports of £50m which is laughable.

He is at his peak, his contract expires in a year, he has just missed a shite load of action, you say he's a '20+ goal a year striker' when he scored 20 goals once, in a system built for him. 
I think he's worth a punt for a team like Spurs where Richarlison is a dogshit cunt and I would play my nan ahead of him. But he's not worth 100 mil, 80 mil or 70. Take the 50 odd, or lose him for nothing in a year. 

• Subscriber
On 13/12/2023 at 18:15, Danny said:

If we receive the right price for him then I’d imagine we’d do it so that we don’t lose that price in the Summer.

I think it’s very unlikely that we get rid of Toney this January, the ambition at the club has always been to compete as high up the Premier League as possible. An ambition we had in League One. So I think we most likely keep him, but the only thing that prevents that imo is an £80m+ for a man with one year left on his deal.

You’re calling 50 million for him laughable? Jesus Chris man xD. It’s overpaying. What’s he warranted to be valued at 100 million like what you’re saying he’s worth?!? Insane.

• 3 weeks later...

David Ornstein saying we have valued him at £100m for January, Miguel Delaney saying we will do a deal at a minimum of £80m.

The reality of the situation here is that Arsenal do need a striker if they are to win the league, Ivan Toney can score 20+goals in a season whilst also bringing other players into the fold and even though we only have him left on a years deal, right now, we seem to have the upper hand in negotiations.

I don't think we'll sell him now though, I'm not sure Arsenal have the finances to put a deal through, if we sell him it depends on how desperate Chelsea are to buy him as that might trigger Arsenal into action. United too but let's be honest they don't have the wiggle room with FFP the same as Arsenal.

If we sell in the Summer I think it'll be somewhere between £60m-£80m and really we do not need £60m right now, not when we can keep him and try to push for Europe.

Edited by Danny

3 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

What's funny about losing to Palace?

You're entirely respectable, but I'd say being able to outperform Palace is a stepping stone towards European football. 

Of course, Brentford also need to navigate the smaller, more basic stepping stone of not losing 5 in a row.

Not surprising that he wants to repay the club, I don't think that was ever going to be in doubt tbh. But it is nice to hear him say it out loud, partly because we want him but also partly because it strengthens our bargaining position be it now or in the Summer.

• 2 months later...
On 31/12/2023 at 03:07, Danny said:

If we sell in the Summer I think it'll be somewhere between £60m-£80m and really we do not need £60m right now, not when we can keep him and try to push for Europe.

So now that 'pushing for Europe' has become 'Thank god for points deductions or we'd be fucking relegated' You finally happy to say you'll take 40-50 mil tops? 

8 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

So now that 'pushing for Europe' has become 'Thank god for points deductions or we'd be fucking relegated' You finally happy to say you'll take 40-50 mil tops? 

I mean our injury crisis has very little to do with Toney’s value but I’ll take £60m yeah

• Like 1

Florian Plettenberg has recently suggested that we are open to bids of around £40m for Toney and today Frank has come out and called it cheap, can't say I expected anything less really. The David Raya price tag was around £30m with one year left on his deal, Toney will go for double at least.