talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

How do you discover new music?

football forum

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Spike said:

It is if you set your store to those countries. And yes it is pretty shit, but it does sound like Ice T

I can't, as I'd have to update my payment method to one that's issued in one of those countries, too...

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Working for a group of radio stations, that's mainly my way of discovering new music. We have a few stations which are all different genres so always something new to listen to for me.

Aside from that, it's Spotify's Discover Weekly or whatever the girlfriend is playing when she's in the shower :D 

I have created numerous playlists in Spotify but the predictive AI seems to rehash the same stuff I've already heard a thousand times. Nowadays I tend to read articles and I've actually used this forum as a jumping off point for some new music, from the "What are you listening to?" to the individual genre threads.

I've largely given up on finding new stuff that blows me away anymore.  That phase was over 10+ years ago.

20 hours ago, nudge said:

I can't, as I'd have to update my payment method to one that's issued in one of those countries, too...

I’m sure there are ways to spoof that, though probably not worthwhile 

22 hours ago, nudge said:

Could you buy a prepaid debit card issued from the US with your current payment method, then change your payment method that way?

Seems like a lot of effort though for something that is only sort of cool.

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Spike said:

I’m sure there are ways to spoof that, though probably not worthwhile 

56 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Could you buy a prepaid debit card issued from the US with your current payment method, then change your payment method that way?

Seems like a lot of effort though for something that is only sort of cool.

Yeah, I don't think I'm THAT curious about the new AI DJ feature, after all xD I guess I'll just wait until it becomes available worldwide...

I'm on Spotify 24/7, literally. Couldn't live without it. 

So yeah, I'll have stuff on shuffle and like songs that appeal to me. I'll sleep with music too and I'll wake up if there's a song I like (which I'll add as a favourite).

Obviously the office radio is handy too.

• Subscriber
10 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

I'm on Spotify 24/7, literally. Couldn't live without it. 

So yeah, I'll have stuff on shuffle and like songs that appeal to me. I'll sleep with music too and I'll wake up if there's a song I like (which I'll add as a favourite).

Obviously the office radio is handy too.

:x I used to do this as a kid/teen, just with radio instead of Spotify, obviously!

3 minutes ago, nudge said:

:x I used to do this as a kid/teen, just with radio instead of Spotify, obviously!

Honestly, I went through a stage during school/college that I found it almost impossible to sleep without music. I'd have my iPod permanently on xD

Showing my age mentioning an iPod - Jesus wept.

Another way I forgot to mention: memes. I saw this tweet from a "People Dancing to Stravinsky" account like a year ago, and thought the music sounded really cool.

Listened through the most famous Stravinsky pieces until I found it, ended up liking a lot of it. Who would've thought?

Just read an article yesterday about Butthole Surfers' drummer Teresa Nervosa dying of end stage lung disease at 60.  Hadn't heard any BS in years so there you go... turned it on Spotify and found several tracks that are pretty decent.

6 hours ago, Coma said:

Just read an article yesterday about Butthole Surfers' drummer Teresa Nervosa dying of end stage lung disease at 60.  Hadn't heard any BS in years so there you go... turned it on Spotify and found several tracks that are pretty decent.

Not as fun waiting around for artists to die for you to discover new music though

14 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Not as fun waiting around for artists to die for you to discover new music though

Sometimes you're lucky enough to be there when it all happened, sometimes you're not.  It is a bummer to find a "new" band and then realize that they've already hung it up just when you were craving more.

Archived