Dune

football forum

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Subscriber

Just saw Part 2 last night. Loved it. Just the total experience to see in theatres. Definitely need to rewatch the first again now....

My one complaint; there was considerably less throat singing in this one. 

• Like 1

Great books, mid movies, it actually makes me a bit sad that this is this generations star wars/lord of the rings. 
The movies look great, casts are mostly good, no 'outstanding' performances, but mostly because there isn't room for any in the rushed first movie. Everything is just kind of... competent and the film is good looking, both as a visual spectacle and the cast involved. I gave the first one a promising 7.5/10

And then the second. Lord. 6/10.

Spoiler

A very different film with a looooooooooooooong first 2 acts, mostly to give room for Pauls character development. But it never really sets in. He takes a stance with Channi against his messianic path, is set a series of challenges, overcomes them without struggle or issue, with no tension ever built. He suddenly and almost arbitrarily discards his stance that he has had for the entire movie, and then the final act is BEYOND disappointing. It's like if the battle for minas tirith and the final stand against mordor both happened in the final 10 minutes of the movie. It's an actionless utter anticlimax, that goes for about 5 minutes. Then the final duel against a character who was only established halfway through this movie, instead of during the first film as he should have been. Just a poorly paced, tensionless film with an utterly damp payoff. Again, film looks great tho.

I think the first movie should have ended with Kynes death and the crashing of the ornithopter. Cut the last 25 minutes of desert wandering and the duel with Jamis off, and use that extra 25 minutes to flesh out the film. Then take 25 minutes of fat off the second movie (and god there is plenty to cut) and add those scenes to the beginning of this film. Then the attack on Arrakeen and the final act in general should get an extra 10-15 min.

4 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Great books, mid movies, it actually makes me a bit sad that this is this generations star wars/lord of the rings. 
The movies look great, casts are mostly good, no 'outstanding' performances, but mostly because there isn't room for any in the rushed first movie. Everything is just kind of... competent and the film is good looking, both as a visual spectacle and the cast involved. I gave the first one a promising 7.5/10

Hide contents

A very different film with a looooooooooooooong first 2 acts, mostly to give room for Pauls character development. But it never really sets in. He takes a stance with Channi against his messianic path, is set a series of challenges, overcomes them without struggle or issue, with no tension ever built. He suddenly and almost arbitrarily discards his stance that he has had for the entire movie, and then the final act is BEYOND disappointing. It's like if the battle for minas tirith and the final stand against mordor both happened in the final 10 minutes of the movie. It's an actionless utter anticlimax, that goes for about 5 minutes. Then the final duel against a character who was only established halfway through this movie, instead of during the first film as he should have been. Just a poorly paced, tensionless film with an utterly damp payoff. Again, film looks great tho.

I think the first movie should have ended with Kynes death and the crashing of the ornithopter. Cut the last 25 minutes of desert wandering and the duel with Jamis off, and use that extra 25 minutes to flesh out the film. Then take 25 minutes of fat off the second movie (and god there is plenty to cut) and add those scenes to the beginning of this film. Then the attack on Arrakeen and the final act in general should get an extra 10-15 min.

Yeah there are issues, lots of weird pacing and plot points dropped, but the books are weird, too weird to be adapted properly, like the Duke Fenreng that communicates in a second language of ‘ah aaaah ah’. Also the issues are less apparent when you drink a bunch and get really high, like me. Explosions go boom, haha the SPICE shall flow.

Honestly they did a lot really well, and I’m glad they didn’t go exposition heavy, some changes were good but ultimately we read the books so we have an different POV than the casual audience.

I think the second was better than the first, mainly because there are parts of the first that make me laugh out loud, and the first hour is Villenueve desaturating colour on everything until the thopter scene .

27 minutes ago, Spike said:

Yeah there are issues, lots of weird pacing and plot points dropped, but the books are weird, too weird to be adapted properly, like the Duke Fenreng that communicates in a second language of ‘ah aaaah ah’. Also the issues are less apparent when you drink a bunch and get really high, like me. Explosions go boom, haha the SPICE shall flow.

Honestly they did a lot really well, and I’m glad they didn’t go exposition heavy, some changes were good but ultimately we read the books so we have an different POV than the casual audience.

I think the second was better than the first, mainly because there are parts of the first that make me laugh out loud, and the first hour is Villenueve desaturating colour on everything until the thopter scene .

I think the first 3 books are very adaptable. Not the rest
Everything is better when you're really high
Both movies are desaturated AF, but I prefer the first where there is a bit too much going on to the second where nothing of consequence happens for huge chunks of the film and the character development never actually occurs when it's supposed to.

• Subscriber

What Dune is and will always be is a masterclass in VFX and Color Grading. Whether you're looking at Harkonen-based scenery or watching the sands and how the characters are shot with the light and their eyes it's all quite the sight. Some of the work in the first film that they bought over to the second is very good VFX, it's terribly hard to generate motion over sand and not use some part of particle FX vs pure VFX. I even think the sandworm scenes aren't some of the best in this movie but the ones where we've got dialog and more importantly water and B/W effects truly shine because you really have to work through those with the limited gradients at hand to get the coloring just right. 

13 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I think the first 3 books are very adaptable. Not the rest
Everything is better when you're really high
Both movies are desaturated AF, but I prefer the first where there is a bit too much going on to the second where nothing of consequence happens for huge chunks of the film and the character development never actually occurs when it's supposed to.

I think the first was way hornier for desaturation, I think the colours popped a bit more for the second BUT I was stoned in imax so maybe it’s just the nature of TV versus IMAX. Even the monotone geidi prime fucken popped in black and white. I also think the first used the soundtrack more awkwardly, I laughed out loud when the ship slowly emerged from the water and it blasted distorted bass, fucken hell Hans. The scene with the diagetic bagpipes fighting the soundtrack was also stupid.

Edited by Spike

4 hours ago, Spike said:

I think the first was way hornier for desaturation, I think the colours popped a bit more for the second BUT I was stoned in imax so maybe it’s just the nature of TV versus IMAX. Even the monotone geidi prime fucken popped in black and white. I also think the first used the soundtrack more awkwardly, I laughed out loud when the ship slowly emerged from the water and it blasted distorted bass, fucken hell Hans. The scene with the diagetic bagpipes fighting the soundtrack was also stupid.

Oh yea, it's a classic Zimdog soundtrack, with some fucking jarring awful moments. 'BWAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMP' or 'screeching Arab lazy' whenever something fucking happens, ALA black hawk down hahahaha. The Sardukar throat singing planet was sick though.

2 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Oh yea, it's a classic Zimdog soundtrack, with some fucking jarring awful moments. 'BWAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMP' or 'screeching Arab lazy' whenever something fucking happens, ALA black hawk down hahahaha. The Sardukar throat singing planet was sick though.

Haha yeah the sardukar intro scene was rad and hype. The ‘ooooooh bene gesseriiit aaaah bene gesseriiit’ however wasn’t 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Spike said:

Haha yeah the sardukar intro scene was rad and hype. The ‘ooooooh bene gesseriiit aaaah bene gesseriiit’ however wasn’t 

I was stoned af both times I watched dune and legit thought I imagined that. God you're really telling me that's a real thing?

5 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I was stoned af both times I watched dune and legit thought I imagined that. God you're really telling me that's a real thing?

Wasn’t there another soundtrack that just whispered ‘kwisatz haderach’ every time it was mentioned?

On 03/04/2024 at 22:31, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Hide contents

I enjoyed the film, definitely the size of it. But came away feeling like it was a bit dry, like I was never truly encapsulated by what was on screen. And I think what you've said here pretty much covers why, I couldn't work it out when watching and haven't read the books. But specifically agree with Kyne/Austin Butler, was held up as a massive part of the film but actually when watching it....not so much.

Personally I would say there is better television out there than this, especially as it's held up as a Star Wars moment. If we're talking Star Wars specifically then Foundation on Apple does a much better job at conveying a gripping storyline.

• Upvote 1

On 05/04/2024 at 06:26, Danny said:

I enjoyed the film, definitely the size of it. But came away feeling like it was a bit dry, like I was never truly encapsulated by what was on screen. And I think what you've said here pretty much covers why, I couldn't work it out when watching and haven't read the books. But specifically agree with Kyne/Austin Butler, was held up as a massive part of the film but actually when watching it....not so much.

Personally I would say there is better television out there than this, especially as it's held up as a Star Wars moment. If we're talking Star Wars specifically then Foundation on Apple does a much better job at conveying a gripping storyline.

Austin Butler's character is just a foil, he is ultimately unimportant, having already been made redundant to the overarching story with Paul's evolution; having been pegged to be the father of the kwisatz haderach and female paul was supposed to be the mother; the character was just meant to show what someone of potential can become with different guidance making the whole ' charismatic chosen one' a bad method of choosing leadership, which will also be proven in the sequel Messiah. The movie did a bad job of showing that Feyd Rautha is just Paul but a psychopath and less training.

It's both a strength and weakness of the film that it doesn't have much exposition, it makes everything feel more real and natural but at the same time it fails to address concepts in depth to the layperson.

• Upvote 1

Yeah as a book reader that was a HUGE failure of the film

Spoiler

Paul's mom was supposed to birth a daughter, but for 2 reasons she had a son. 1, Leto wanted one, and she loved him more than her role permits, and 2, she felt how close the Bene Gesserit were to the kwisatz haderach, and she hoped to be the mother. 

That daughter was supposed to bang Fayd, and birth the kwisatz haderach.

As Spike said, they're supposed to be near equals, certainly in terms of potential destiny, but other than a throwaway scene where we see Feyd will undergo the Gom Jabbar, it's not touched on in any way. Feyd is also supposed to be a messiah figure on Arakkis, as the plan is for Rabban to juice the planet for spice to a brutal degree, with max oppression, then for Feyd to take over and the people will love him for lifting the boot of Rabbans oppression, which is a plot established in the first book. He should have been in the first film.