talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool Discussion

football forum

15 minutes ago, The Liquidator said:

Baring in mind the amount of money Liverpool have spent over the last 3 windows can the club be accused of trying to buy success?

@LFCMadLad and the rest of the deluded army ~ Obviously you are all experts on giving this out to other clubs ~ Shades of cant beat em, join em, eh?

It was always inevitable once your club ruined football

:ay:

29 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

xD they are hypocrites, just like Klopp. Perfect fucking match for each other

I may be biased but i feel there's a major difference between the kind of transfer activity i scoffed at United for and what Liverpool have done since then. 

It was Uniteds seeming desperation to sign the most famous player available in the transfer market rather than signing the player that addressed their area of greatest need. 

It was Juan Mata, then falcao and angel di maria, then schweignstager and valdes, then pogba and ibrahimovic. In amongst numerous pursuits of Ramos and Bale amongst others. 

Other players were signed too and luke shaw and schneiderlin actually made a lot of sense. But overall it mostly didn't seem based around improving the squad rather about trying to sell jerseys, get in the papers or just to prove to the world you were still a big club. Playing Rooney as a starter for 3 or 4 years than his form warranted. 

I actually feel proud of the signings we've made in the past few years as they've nearly all been clearly linked to weak areas and not celebrity names driven by commercial aspects. And (vvd excepted) the business has often been done quickly and efficiently,  not via drawn out sagas that keep you in the papers for weeks.

*takes off rose tinted glasses*

Edited by Harry

4 minutes ago, Harry said:

I may be biased but i feel there is a difference between the kind of transfer activity i scoffed at United for and what Liverpool have done since then. 

For me it was United seeming to be so desperate to sign the most famous player available in the transfer market rather than signing the player that addressed their area of greatest need. 

It was Juan Mata, then falcao and angel di maria, then schweignstager and valdes, then pogba and ibrahimovic. In amongst numerous pursuits of Ramos and Bale amongst others. 

Other players were signed too and luke shaw and schneiderlin actually made a lot of sense. But overall it mostly didn't seem based around improving the squad rather about trying to sell jerseys, get in the papers or just to prove to the world you were still a big club. 

I actually feel proud of the signings we've made in the past few years as they've nearly all been clearly linked to weak areas and not celebrity names driven by commercial aspects. And quickly and efficiently,  not via drawn out sagas that keep you in the papers for weeks.

Fair enough!

59 minutes ago, The Liquidator said:

Baring in mind the amount of money Liverpool have spent over the last 3 windows can the club be accused of trying to buy success?

@LFCMadLad and the rest of the deluded army ~ Obviously you are all experts on giving this out to other clubs ~ Shades of cant beat em, join em, eh?

Klopp has made a profit on transfers in every window since he joined. He's spent very little of the club's money. 

Nice try though :D

1 hour ago, LFCMadLad said:

Klopp has made a profit on transfers in every window since he joined. He's spent very little of the club's money. 

I'm not sure how you can even begin comparing the two situationsxD

1 hour ago, LFCMadLad said:

Just the 164m to balance the books this window ~ You must be counting loan fees to help him balance the books ~ Excellent wriggle!   :ay:

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Coutinho money :ay:

Yeah obviously that helps, but checking online, its the loan fees you have received which have kept you in the black.

I have no idea how gospel this site is, but they make a point of listing loan fees too.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/jurgen-klopp/spielertransfers/trainer/118

Either way, its this window which might stand out without some bodies moved out.

Board all in? What happens if you have a pants season?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, The Liquidator said:

Yeah obviously that helps, but checking online, its the loan fees you have received which have kept you in the black.

I have no idea how gospel this site is, but they make a point of listing loan fees too.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/jurgen-klopp/spielertransfers/trainer/118

Either way, its this window which might stand out without some bodies moved out.

Board all in? What happens if you have a pants season?

You lot have been spunking money up the footballing worlds back for decades... you can't judge.

Nah, our owners will be happy finishing in the top 4 every season and deep CL runs. Klopp and the players however might think different. Anyway, stop with the bitterness, I'm laughing too much :ay:

3 hours ago, Harry said:

I may be biased but i feel there's a major difference between the kind of transfer activity i scoffed at United for and what Liverpool have done since then. 

It was Uniteds seeming desperation to sign the most famous player available in the transfer market rather than signing the player that addressed their area of greatest need. 

Other players were signed too and luke shaw and schneiderlin actually made a lot of sense. But overall it mostly didn't seem based around improving the squad rather about trying to sell jerseys, get in the papers or just to prove to the world you were still a big club. Playing Rooney as a starter for 3 or 4 years than his form warranted. 

I actually feel proud of the signings we've made in the past few years as they've nearly all been clearly linked to weak areas and not celebrity names driven by commercial aspects. And (vvd excepted) the business has often been done quickly and efficiently,  not via drawn out sagas that keep you in the papers for weeks.

I generally agree, although I do think it's unfair to put most of those transfers in the same category as Pogba. That deal for me was blatantly far more about his marketability than his football ability which, while substantial, is not and never will be worth what they paid. That wasn't really the case with the other deals. The worst accusation that could be leveled at United for them is that they were opportunistic rather than carefully considered, but that's with a perspective skewed by hindsight.

Outside of that, I don't begrudge United the money they spend and I won't criticse them for it because they've built their club through legitimate means; earning success on the pitch, using that to turn the club into something of a brand a la the New York Yankees, thereby the financial success which gives them the money to spend back on the pitch. This differs from the likes of Chelsea, Man City, and PSG, whose money comes from unfathomably wealthy individuals/groups with... ahem... questionable morality and with wealth tied to that.

It's the United model we've tried to emulate under FSG, both by raising a lot of money through player sales and by greatly improving the commercial side of the club (although Henry and co. do come under the unfathomably wealthy category) and it's a key difference because their sources of income make Chelsea, Man City, PSG , etc. playthings and PR tools of their respective financers (to various extents) and I think that's a very ugly thing to happen to any football club.

Edited by Burning Gold

2 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

You lot have been spunking money up the footballing worlds back for decades... you can't judge.

Nah, our owners will be happy finishing in the top 4 every season and deep CL runs. Klopp and the players however might think different. Anyway, stop with the bitterness, I'm laughing too much :ay:

Who is judging? I am asking if all this money spent by your club means you are trying to buy success? If you dont balance the books this window, how can anyone defy the accusation?

Keep on laughing my friend ~ I am just sowing the seed for the season ahead  :ay:

3 minutes ago, The Liquidator said:

Who is judging? I am asking if all this money spent by your club means you are trying to buy success? If you dont balance the books this window, how can anyone defy the accusation?

Keep on laughing my friend ~ I am just sowing the seed for the season ahead  :ay:

Why are you so interested xD

As I said, Klopp has made a profit in every window since he joined and thus summer he is reinvesting the Coutinho money. 

It's not mafia oil money we are spending you know :bye:

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Why are you so interested xD

As I said, Klopp has made a profit in every window since he joined and thus summer he is reinvesting the Coutinho money. 

It's not mafia oil money we are spending you know :bye:

Virgil van Dijk Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain & Mohamed Salah took care of that windfall me ol love.  https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/liverpool-fc/transfers/verein/31/plus/0?saison_id=2017&pos=&detailpos=&w_s=

You need to start reaching for better ~ You, Like your board, are "All In" ~ Just sowing the seed :ay:

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, The Liquidator said:

Virgil van Dijk Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain & Mohamed Salah took care of that windfall me ol love.  https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/liverpool-fc/transfers/verein/31/plus/0?saison_id=2017&pos=&detailpos=&w_s=

You need to start reaching for better ~ You, Like your board, are "All In" ~ Just sowing the seed :ay:

The 3 players you mention were all paid for with the profit Klopp had made in previous Windows.

Please try harder :ay:

12 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

The 3 players you mention were all paid for with the profit Klopp had made in previous Windows.

Please try harder :ay:

18/19

Income     4     0
Expenditures 7     £163.98m
Total results        £-163.98m

17/18

Income     14     £157.05m
Expenditures 13     £151.23m
Total results        +£5.82m

16/17

Income     17     £76.41m
Expenditures 18     £71.91m