talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool Discussion

football forum

He’s out of contract and the likelihood is that he isn’t going to contribute much to the rest of this campaign, yet we’ll fix him up to go and play elsewhere. It’s very frustrating. The club should have moved him on in the summer, even if that meant releasing him. 

1 hour ago, Rick said:

He’s out of contract and the likelihood is that he isn’t going to contribute much to the rest of this campaign, yet we’ll fix him up to go and play elsewhere. It’s very frustrating. The club should have moved him on in the summer, even if that meant releasing him. 

Why would they have done that?

1 minute ago, Rick said:

Get him off the wage bill. They knew he wasn’t going to play before the new year, surely? 

Aside from the fact they wouldn't just be able to terminate his contract without good reason or if it was a mutual agreement, they'd still have to pay him off. I don't see what benefit that is to the club or player?

I don't see Klopp treating a player like that either unless he's done something badly wrong, do you?

It's shit that he's been injured all season and then come back and got injured again but he'd have been extremely useful in the latter part of the season if he was fit. Let's hope it's not too serious. 

It’s not a case of treating him badly. He’s been injured the majority of the last two years. At some point it has to give. Giving him a settlement would be cheaper than his wages for the season.

Instead, all he has done is sit in the sidelines with full pay, using up the club’s medical resources. It’s very frustrating to see when players end up in this position. I have sympathy for a player who gets a bad injury, but when you’re a constant sick note, then it starts becoming a real issue for me. Being fit and available is part of being a good professional. Can we say that Thiago has been worth the investment overall, I’m not sure we can. 

• Subscriber

The thing with Thiago is that hes always been injured for major periods over his entire career. If you look at the history its not hard to see that they still gambled on the transfer.

Thiago - Injury history | Transfermarkt

image.thumb.png.2b3954febfea7ab9c4782731d3a395be.png

I think the club just waits till the summer and then moves him on. He could have done really great things had he been more fit but that's not his mode of operation and hasn't been for a while now. This is the longest hes been out in his entire career although he did have a long spell even at Bayern. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Rick said:

It’s not a case of treating him badly. He’s been injured the majority of the last two years. At some point it has to give. Giving him a settlement would be cheaper than his wages for the season.

Instead, all he has done is sit in the sidelines with full pay, using up the club’s medical resources. It’s very frustrating to see when players end up in this position. I have sympathy for a player who gets a bad injury, but when you’re a constant sick note, then it starts becoming a real issue for me. Being fit and available is part of being a good professional. Can we say that Thiago has been worth the investment overall, I’m not sure we can. 

Thiago doesn't have to agree to terminating his contract and why should he? Liverpool knew he was injury prone when they signed him, that was the risk they took.

We'd have certainly liked him to have been available a lot more over the last 12 months but I think we all knew when he signed he was going to be a player that played around 30 games a season. Was it worth the financial risk? Probably not but I'm not having comments that I've seen elsewhere that say he was useless or a pointless signing. There was a point where Liverpool were unbeatable when both he and Fabinho started games. I also think he will have helped in some way in the transition from what was a pretty functional midfield in the early Klopp years to the one that controls games much better that we see today. Probably had a very good influence on the younger midfielders at the club too

9 hours ago, Stan said:

He surely isn't trying to claim this is only a Liverpool/Klopp thing xD?! 

I've still not seen Arsenal's celebrations on Sunday as I left the pub when the third went in so don't know what they were like. It's definitely become a bigger thing in this country since Klopp though. I even saw a couple of neutral ex players mention that the other week. 

Thought that was just a fake quote its that mental lol, to claim celebrating like that is “your thing” when its been done so many times on the continent is mental. Is Arteta running down the touchline also Liverpool’s thing? Or Odegaard taking a picture of the photographer? Baffling

9 hours ago, Danny said:

Thought that was just a fake quote its that mental lol, to claim celebrating like that is “your thing” when its been done so many times on the continent is mental. Is Arteta running down the touchline also Liverpool’s thing? Or Odegaard taking a picture of the photographer? Baffling

Lol he’s just being a cocky dickhead, like many other athletes. Nobody accused these people of being brilliant at anything other than football.

Yeah he’s said something very stupid, it’s not like he’s come out and said something horribly racist or kicked anyone’s dog or anything, etc, so it’s not the stupidest thing a footballers ever done. If he keeps up the way he’s played this season by saying stupid cocky shit to stay motivated, I am all for it

3 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Lol he’s just being a cocky dickhead, like many other athletes. Nobody accused these people of being brilliant at anything other than football.

Yeah he’s said something very stupid, it’s not like he’s come out and said something horribly racist or kicked anyone’s dog or anything, etc, so it’s not the stupidest thing a footballers ever done. If he keeps up the way he’s played this season by saying stupid cocky shit to stay motivated, I am all for it

Tbh my overuse of the word mental really amped up how much I actually cared about him saying it xD It's a funny thing to say, more school yard stuff when the Year 6's don't like the Year 5's 

• Haha 1

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

I'll never forget the era where Jurgen had no hair and fist bumped Palace fans after every victory.

iain-dowie-cpfc-boss_0.thumb.jpg.5ed0ef2497ca3e713ffb0d6371568dde.jpg

Dowie copied him. 

3 hours ago, Danny said:

Tbh my overuse of the word mental really amped up how much I actually cared about him saying it xD It's a funny thing to say, more school yard stuff when the Year 6's don't like the Year 5's 

Yeah but these guys aren’t super educated or mature. Look at Spurs’ reaction to Maupay copying Madison’s signature or Maupay’s reaction to that in the following days. That was all hilariously childish too.

9 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yeah but these guys aren’t super educated or mature. Look at Spurs’ reaction to Maupay copying Madison’s signature or Maupay’s reaction to that in the following days. That was all hilariously childish too.

See Maupay's video of him having to rank footballers as they appear? It's a top 10 but you don't get to choose when a player will get picked so you have to guess where you might put them, he had the top 10 mostly done, Aubemeyang popped up and he asked if he could put him 11th xD

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Danny said:

See Maupay's video of him having to rank footballers as they appear? It's a top 10 but you don't get to choose when a player will get picked so you have to guess where you might put them, he had the top 10 mostly done, Aubemeyang popped up and he asked if he could put him 11th xD

Haha no that sounds funny as fuck though I’ll have to find that

• 2 weeks later...

Klopp is saying Jota will be out for “months”….fuck off. Jones has some ligament issue so you’d expect weeks for him and Ali is out for a bit as well with a muscle injury. We need Trent and Szoboslai to hurry up.