talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool Discussion

football forum

3 hours ago, Stan said:

Apart from Alisson.

And there's no guarantee Mane & Thiago will be rid of COVID by the time 17th Oct comes around?

It's absolutely mental that Mane and Thiago have got corona and people are just taking it as "oh 2 weeks out, no biggie". Has the potential to be a serious problem

• Subscriber

Think the bigger problem is that they've got it now who's to say others dont? And that turns into a serious problem but if that did happen then I'd imagine depending on the number of players, the league postpones those games for fear of further infection.

11 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Think the bigger problem is that they've got it now who's to say others dont? And that turns into a serious problem but if that did happen then I'd imagine depending on the number of players, the league postpones those games for fear of further infection.

They're tested every day, it's the safest profession in the country. Manchester City had several players test positive didn't they? 

• Subscriber
Just now, The Artful Dodger said:

They're tested every day, it's the safest profession in the country. Manchester City had several players test positive didn't they? 

Its not to say it isn't possible (low chances of course) but if it did then there would be a bigger issue. I don't see any problems with it due to the exact reason you stated but tests aren't always accurate as has been proven over the course of this pandemic and risks are still associated with one person getting infected leading to more. I don't think anyone is going to be out for a longer period just because of how healthy they have to be considering what they do.

15 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

It's so low as to make it barely worth considering. Unless he has some condition we are not aware of?

I mean it’s still a fairly new disease and some people, like Dybala - who’s not that old - had long term effects they felt from it.

10 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Is it? The chances of anyone under 60 not recovering from COVID19 within 2 weeks are extremely low, and that's just for your average joe. I imagine for elite athletes it's even lower. 

Death rate's extremely low for that age range, but is the chance of having it longer than 2 weeks really that low? I've seen nothing to suggest that. Dybala had it over a month before he started returning negative tests.

Potentially more serious are the reports of long term complications for those with even mild cases. Depending on what they are, they might not be noticeable to you or I, but potentially career threatening for a professional athlete. I've not heard anything about that from the players who had it before, but it's not something to be taken for granted

Edited by Burning Gold

11 hours ago, Burning Gold said:

Death rate's extremely low for that age range, but is the chance of having it longer than 2 weeks really that low? I've seen nothing to suggest that. Dybala had it over a month before he started returning negative tests.

Potentially more serious are the reports of long term complications for those with even mild cases. Depending on what they are, they might not be noticeable to you or I, but potentially career threatening for a professional athlete. I've not heard anything about that from the players who had it before, but it's not something to be taken for granted

1 player out of how many who've had it, there have been countless? Dybala is absolutely fine by the way, and has been out with a thigh injury but will be soon back playing. Likewise with 'Long Covid', there are some people who do struggle afterwards but given the fact there are millions of people who've had this thing without being official recorded it's likely to be a tiny minority of people. 

I'm all for caution but we need to get some perspective on this disease, it is not the plague, its not AIDs, its is not even malaria in terms of its effects. Yes, you could be seriously unlucky at a young age and develop something nastier but it's extremely unlikely and we shouldn't be thinking that it is a likely outcome. 

In terms of how this effects Liverpool, given that nearly all of us are going to get this at some point, surely an international break is the optimum time.

Edited by The Artful Dodger

• Subscriber

Michael Keane apparently suffered some longer term issues beyond the 2 weeks during the lockdown but he's fine now. The majority of footballers and other athletes that have been infected have been symptomless and shaken it off comfortably in time for the two weeks to be up and slotted back in to their sides without issue. Thiago and Mane are likely to be fine for the derby.

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Burning Gold said:

Nah, it was silly of me to suggest this could turn into a serious problem

You weren't at all. The real question now is how to contain it and what happens due to the fact that clearly the testing is not the sure-shot way to guarantee any kind of situation is truly COVID-free. I guess we'll see in the next two weeks what happens but I figure the club is making inquiries on what can be done and asking everyone to exercise precaution as much as they can while on international duty.

The bigger worry with International duty is also that some players are going to be visiting countries where the virus has spread far more than the UK so the risk increases and this is not just Liverpool but every club anywhere during this period. Why FIFA insists on having players travel cross-continent is beyond me but they are also in agreement with UEFA to let fans back into stadiums so I suppose the former argument is wasted on them.

3 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

1 player out of how many who've had it, there have been countless? Dybala is absolutely fine by the way, and has been out with a thigh injury but will be soon back playing. Likewise with 'Long Covid', there are some people who do struggle afterwards but given the fact there are millions of people who've had this thing without being official recorded it's likely to be a tiny minority of people. 

I'm all for caution but we need to get some perspective on this disease, it is not the plague, its not AIDs, its is not even malaria in terms of its effects. Yes, you could be seriously unlucky at a young age and develop something nastier but it's extremely unlikely and we shouldn't be thinking that it is a likely outcome. 

In terms of how this effects Liverpool, given that nearly all of us are going to get this at some point, surely an international break is the optimum time.

Countless? How many high profile players we'd notice have had it? I could probably name 10.

I'm not losing my mind over it, but I think the "no worries, just 2 weeks out" attitude is a bit naive given what we do and don't know about it. My concern with Long Covid in this context is that minor cases which the general population wouldn't notice (minor fatigue and breathing issues could easily be put down to a more sedentary lifestyle in lockdown/whatever we're in now) could have serious implications for a professional sportsperson but won't be counted/recored so we don't know what the prevalence is.

Optimum time other than the summer, I guess, but it feels a bit defeatist to assume you're going to get it and just hope the timing is kind.

3 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Michael Keane apparently suffered some longer term issues beyond the 2 weeks during the lockdown but he's fine now. The majority of footballers and other athletes that have been infected have been symptomless and shaken it off comfortably in time for the two weeks to be up and slotted back in to their sides without issue. Thiago and Mane are likely to be fine for the derby.

I wonder how the probabilities change for symptomatic cases; not sure about Mane but I know Thiago had symptoms, albeit reportedly mild

1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

I thought it was generally accepted that it takes about 14 days for the virus to run its course. A few days before symptoms, a few days to a week of symptoms, then a few more days of self-isolation as a precaution.

Varies based on the severity of the case. Broadly speaking it's 5-14 days before symptoms (usually closer to 5), then another 5-10 days of symptoms after which you're either mostly fine or you're in trouble. The reason for the 2 week isolation period is to cover the 5-14 days it takes from exposure symptoms to make sure you don't get symptoms. If you do, it can be a different story. Worth also noting that it can be multiple days between exposure and a positive test, even if you're being tested daily

This is from April, so old information, but should be broadly accurate

Image for post

Edited by Burning Gold

• Administrator
On 06/10/2020 at 14:29, Dr. Gonzo said:

Shaqiri’s tested positive. I think most of the squad must have it and the tests are shite at detecting it.

Shaqiri has now tested negative. Going to Spain to re-join Swiss squad.