talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool Discussion

football forum

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

But were we even at the same levels? We were good, but not great, and mostly a cup team in that era. Chelsea were expected to compete on pretty much all fronts.

You don't have to be to have the rivalry, at the time? 

29 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

Is it happening again? :35_thinking:

20220826_155735.jpg

The year Dortmund were shit under him though they weren't terrible, they still created decent chances. They just were shit at putting those chances away.

We've looked bad in all 3 league matches though, so it's maybe worse. I think it's a bit lazy journalism to say "look he had 7 years at Dortmund and it went to shit" and then see our current form and think "ah ha, it's the 7 year curse" - I don't think we've been tremendously unlucky.

I think we've just been bad.

• Administrator
21 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Doesn't that sort of go against "the competitive nature?"

The games themselves were competitive is what I'm trying to say. Rarely one-sided or dominant, there was always a bite and feistiness to it as a result of the competitiveness between the teams. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

Just seen Elliot’s goal on MOTD. Great finish, how are Liverpool fans rating him? Always knew he’d be great after his time with us. Do you think he can go to the top in the sense of a permanent starter and get in the England team? Hope so, likeable guy and I remember meeting him. Crazy that he’s still only 19.

Edited by JoshBRFC

I said last week Liverpool would be frantic for goals after the poor start but didn't expect that. Lucky it was Bournemouth and Pool did the right thing by continuing to score even though way ahead at half time.

Now, was that the catalyst to kick start the season? Let's see.

6 hours ago, JoshBRFC said:

Just seen Elliot’s goal on MOTD. Great finish, how are Liverpool fans rating him? Always knew he’d be great after his time with us. Do you think he can go to the top in the sense of a permanent starter and get in the England team? Hope so, likeable guy and I remember meeting him. Crazy that he’s still only 19.

He's been great so far, tbh I think he's been our best performer so far (granted, it's early days and we've had a few bad performances before this 9-0).

He's started every match so far, I don't know if that will be the case once Thiago is back tbh - but if he keeps performing well, it's possible. I certainly think he's not far away from being a permanent starter if he keeps developing.

No idea how far he is from an England cap - I don't know how Southgate views midfielders like him tbh. I don't think he will want to break away from central midfield of Rice & Phillips though... so if he does make it into the England squad, I don't think he'd regularly play in the centre where Klopp likes playing him. Idk if he played as a central midfielder or a winger for you though.

• Upvote 1

So Liverpool supporters, what are your instincts for The Newcastle match now? I posted barring a miracle you'd have no chance of winning it but now, after last week, I'm not so sure. Still very unpredictable until we see a run of decent form.

Edited by Chickasaw

• Subscriber
19 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

He's been great so far, tbh I think he's been our best performer so far (granted, it's early days and we've had a few bad performances before this 9-0).

He's started every match so far, I don't know if that will be the case once Thiago is back tbh - but if he keeps performing well, it's possible. I certainly think he's not far away from being a permanent starter if he keeps developing.

No idea how far he is from an England cap - I don't know how Southgate views midfielders like him tbh. I don't think he will want to break away from central midfield of Rice & Phillips though... so if he does make it into the England squad, I don't think he'd regularly play in the centre where Klopp likes playing him. Idk if he played as a central midfielder or a winger for you though.

I asked my good mate last night who supports same cunty team as you after many beers were flowing and he’s like ….. “you always ask me he was on loan for a year get over it” what a cunt, he’s a Blackburn legend xD. However I was impressed with the quick fire insult :ph34r:.

In all seriousness though, it’s good to see, from an England perspective I forget he’s so young still. Very talented player. I can see him sat in the middle passing his way through plenty of teams for you and England for years to come.

Edited by JoshBRFC
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Chickasaw said:

So Liverpool supporters, what are your instincts for The Newcastle match now? I posted barring a miracle you'd have no chance of winning it but now, after last week, I'm not so sure. Still very unpredictable until we see a run of decent form.

A miracle for us to beat Newcastle at Anfield?

We've lost about 3 league games in 2 years and now it takes a miracle to beat Newcastle xD

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, LFCMadLad said:

A miracle for us to beat Newcastle at Anfield?

We've lost about 3 league games in 2 years and now it takes a miracle to beat Newcastle xD

That was IF you were playing the way you were before the 9-0 and they were playing the way they were.

I have heard a couple of times now that TTA is a defensive weakness as he is often caught up field.

Now we have had that problem with Marcos Aslonso and though I am not suggesting TTA is as poor as Alonso in recovery runs I do wonder how Klopp will react as the EPL consciously try to take advantage of this revelation. 

16 minutes ago, Waylander said:

I have heard a couple of times now that TTA is a defensive weakness as he is often caught up field.

Now we have had that problem with Marcos Aslonso and though I am not suggesting TTA is as poor as Alonso in recovery runs I do wonder how Klopp will react as the EPL consciously try to take advantage of this revelation. 

It's not exactly been a mystery - for seasons many managers have had their side target him because he bombs so far up the pitch. When our midfield is functioning like a normal midfield, usually a central midfielder drops into that gap. In some matches this season we've abandoned that (but honestly, I think it's just that we've asked Henderson and Milner to play more matches than they can physically handle) and our system can break down pretty badly if players aren't all playing their roles correctly.

I don't really think he'll abandon the system of having the CMs cover for when the fullbacks push forward.

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

It's not exactly been a mystery - for seasons many managers have had their side target him because he bombs so far up the pitch. When our midfield is functioning like a normal midfield, usually a central midfielder drops into that gap. In some matches this season we've abandoned that (but honestly, I think it's just that we've asked Henderson and Milner to play more matches than they can physically handle) and our system can break down pretty badly if players aren't all playing their roles correctly.

I don't really think he'll abandon the system of having the CMs cover for when the fullbacks push forward.

Yes in theory ours were meant to cover for Alonso though did not always work out that way and depending on the midfield injuries can be challenging. Notice you looked better with Fabinho coming back. 

4 minutes ago, Waylander said:

Yes in theory ours were meant to cover for Alonso though did not always work out that way and depending on the midfield injuries can be challenging. Notice you looked better with Fabinho coming back. 

Fabinho was really poor in the first two matches, but we did look a lot better when he came on against United and definitely against Bournemouth (although I don't think too much can be read into the Bournemouth match because I think Bournemouth are possibly the worst side in the league by some distance).

We've seen it before, like the year where no CBs or CMs could stay fit for more than a period of weeks - with enough injuries, the system will break down entirely. And I think also relying on Milner and Henderson for too many matches too quickly is going to lead to other moments where the system just breaks down.

Imo we need to be bringing in 2 midfielders in the next few windows that compliment Fabinho well, because we've got a few sicknotes and reliance on old players, in what is possibly the most important area of the pitch.