talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Companies Going Woke

48 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Are you a shareholder? If not then I don't see what impact it has on your life to be moaning about films they're making when you can just choose not to watch the ones you don't like.

Mate, all due respect but how can you say “don’t see the film if you don’t like it” as a solution to the films making less than projected in the box office? It’s extremely clear to me that it’s not just “going woke” that bothers people, but it is a big factor to it for most people. People won’t see a film they aren’t interested in. That IS a problem for Disney and Bob Eiger has come out to say it publicly that he is worried about Disney losing focus. Agree to disagree.

Personally I’m not a massive film guy, so I am not as bothered as I sound about this whole subject but I do have some issues with what Disney and Vice have done.

Just now, Goku de la Boca said:

Mate, all due respect but how can you say “don’t see the film if you don’t like it” as a solution to the films making less than projected in the box office?

But why does that bother you if you're not a shareholder? FFS I'm a Disney shareholder and I can't even be arsed about "Disney going woke" - I'm a Disney shareholder and I'm more annoyed that they can't put interesting content with all the IP they own.

These live action remakes are lazy and shite, I don't know why they keep putting them out. I don't know many people, if any, that actually want to go take their kids to these films - especially if it'll be streaming on Disney+ (which is honestly a must have subscription if you're a parent, I'm told) in a few months.

If they do want to persist with these live action things... they should use their brains and take advantage of the fact they've got the Muppets IP in their portfolio. Do I want to see a live action Beauty and the Beast? Not a bit. Do I want to see a Muppets Beauty and the Beast? Yeah, alright let's see the Muppets take it on.

I think Disney needs to be putting out more original stuff... but they don't even have to do that. They own Marvel. There's millions of stories told in Marvel comic books that could be put on a screen and sold to children all around the world... many of those stories are probably a hell of a lot more interesting than their more recent Marvel flops, considering Marvel's been around with a loyal fanbase since well before Disney owned them.

24 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

That is interesting. And a bit weird because James Bond's been around for far longer than the 90s. But if a black Bond would make black British people feel weird, that's definitely interesting.

Scouse Bond is my new vote then. Black, white, whatever, I don't care as long as they're Scouse.

The accent makes the Bond. I wouldn't be able to stop laughing if Bond spoke like Alfie

17 minutes ago, Goku de la Boca said:

Mate, all due respect but how can you say “don’t see the film if you don’t like it” as a solution to the films making less than projected in the box office? It’s extremely clear to me that it’s not just “going woke” that bothers people, but it is a big factor to it for most people. People won’t see a film they aren’t interested in. That IS a problem for Disney and Bob Eiger has come out to say it publicly that he is worried about Disney losing focus. Agree to disagree.

Personally I’m not a massive film guy, so I am not as bothered as I sound about this whole subject but I do have some issues with what Disney and Vice have done.

You're offended by nothing because what you believe in doesn't make sense at all.

• Upvote 3

• Subscriber
23 minutes ago, Goku de la Boca said:

I genuinely don't know what your point is. It wouldn't bother you if I started making a bunch of home movies that were all terrible because it doesn't affect your life in any way. Nor does it affect your life if Disney are making loads of bad movies. There's hundreds of thousands of them out there so why can't everyone just watch the content they like?

Criticise Disney by all means but there's a million ways that films can be bad (in some people's opinion) and if it's bad lighting or bad writing or bad casting decisions then people comment on it and then move on with their lives. But when it's because the skin colour or other physical characteristics of a character or cast member are not what everyone is used to, this massive fuss gets kicked up and we're having debates about the entire direction of movie companies and their politics.

• Upvote 3

52 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

But why does that bother you if you're not a shareholder? FFS I'm a Disney shareholder and I can't even be arsed about "Disney going woke" - I'm a Disney shareholder and I'm more annoyed that they can't put interesting content with all the IP they own.

These live action remakes are lazy and shite, I don't know why they keep putting them out. I don't know many people, if any, that actually want to go take their kids to these films - especially if it'll be streaming on Disney+ (which is honestly a must have subscription if you're a parent, I'm told) in a few months.

If they do want to persist with these live action things... they should use their brains and take advantage of the fact they've got the Muppets IP in their portfolio. Do I want to see a live action Beauty and the Beast? Not a bit. Do I want to see a Muppets Beauty and the Beast? Yeah, alright let's see the Muppets take it on.

I think Disney needs to be putting out more original stuff... but they don't even have to do that. They own Marvel. There's millions of stories told in Marvel comic books that could be put on a screen and sold to children all around the world... many of those stories are probably a hell of a lot more interesting than their more recent Marvel flops, considering Marvel's been around with a loyal fanbase since well before Disney owned them.

It doesn’t bother me from a financial standpoint obviously because like you said it has nothing to do with me, but I have a right to analyze the situation and say “if you think the loss of money doesn’t bother Disney then they should care if they vote with your wallet”. All I’m getting at really 😂

35 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I genuinely don't know what your point is. It wouldn't bother you if I started making a bunch of home movies that were all terrible because it doesn't affect your life in any way. Nor does it affect your life if Disney are making loads of bad movies. There's hundreds of thousands of them out there so why can't everyone just watch the content they like?

Criticise Disney by all means but there's a million ways that films can be bad (in some people's opinion) and if it's bad lighting or bad writing or bad casting decisions then people comment on it and then move on with their lives. But when it's because the skin colour or other physical characteristics of a character or cast member are not what everyone is used to, this massive fuss gets kicked up and we're having debates about the entire direction of movie companies and their politics.

Their films have definitely taken a turn but I think part of it does have to do with a political focus that’s distracted them. Even their president said the same. Of course there are so many factors but I do believe that is one of them.

3 minutes ago, Goku de la Boca said:

It doesn’t bother me from a financial standpoint obviously because like you said it has nothing to do with me, but I have a right to analyze the situation and say “if you think the loss of money doesn’t bother Disney then they should care if they vote with your wallet”. All I’m getting at really 😂

You aren’t getting at anything, you are just regurgitating standard conservative talking points without any sort of critical reasoning and have just doubled down by repeating the exact same points you read on a Daily Wire unpaid intern article. You’re being nebulous on purpose and are now trying to obfuscate your opinions by rewording them in the hopes you either convince someone you changed your mind, or you change their mind.You have also been actively avoiding answering questions from myself and @Dr. Gonzo

I really want you to think about what you are upset about and why you came to that conclusion, and why you felt the need to vent these frustrations in this thread. You need to reflect on yourself, not Disney.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Spike said:

You have also been actively avoiding answering questions from myself and @Dr. Gonzo

You are looking way too much into this. Mate I've been out all day, I am not super bothered and never even claimed to be an expert on film and wokeness. I just have my own opinion on the matter is all.

3 minutes ago, Goku de la Boca said:

You are looking way too much into this. Mate I've been out all day, I am not super bothered and never even claimed to be an expert on film and wokeness. I just have my own opinion on the matter is all.

No, you are going down some weird rabbit hole and I’m calling you out. No one that is not ‘super bothered’ makes this thread and consistently doubles down on their opinion, not once have you said ‘Oh yeah maybe you are right I didn’t think of it that way, thanks’, you didn’t mean to instigate a discussion and come to a new synthesis, you just wanted to soap box these asinine observations echoed by the unhinged. Own up to it and don’t waive it off, either own that the racial switching/or ‘politicising’ bothers you, or take on some of the thoughtful critiques and come to a new conclusion with the new information and opinions you’ve been given.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Spike said:

not once have you said ‘Oh yeah maybe you are right I didn’t think of it that way, thanks’,

Question - why do I have to?

Are you saying you have the word of god? I have my own opinion and I am NOT thinking about it that deeply either. I started this thread to open a debate, even if I was speaking bollocks but I wanted to help move the forum with something that I thought could spawn a debate. The abrasive one right now is you, with all due respect.

1 minute ago, Goku de la Boca said:

Are you saying you have the word of god? I have my own opinion and I am NOT thinking about it that deeply either. I started this thread to open a debate, even if I was speaking bollocks but I wanted to help move the forum with something that I thought could spawn a debate. The abrasive one right now is you, with all due respect.

Because most people when confronted with new information make a Hegelian dialectic, that is a synthesis of two opposing ideas  to create something new. You haven’t said anything I haven’t read before on conservative media sites or heard someone repeat ad nauseam, there is no dialectic for me to have, it’s already been done. You are just ignoring points people are making with repetition, you obviously don’t want a debate at all, as you literally being confronted with one from, right now, and instead of challenging or reflecting on anything I’ve said you’ve retreated into your shell and acting like I want to  bully you . I am trying to help you here, some of the ideas and observations you have been asserting lately are incredibly worrying to me, I don’t care if we agree on stuff like this, I don’t care that your opinions differ, but I do care that you’re entering a rabbit hole that you can lost into and you literally ignore valid criticisms, this isn’t about Disney this is about everything lately, Disney is just a symptom, this is a topic that has been beat to death, and argued over for years already. I consider you a friend on here and someone that I want around, but this entry-level turning point USA reactionary thing you’ve got going has me incredibly concerned. 

You are bloody right that you aren’t thinking deeply at all. That’s some abrasion for you.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Spike said:

Because most people when confronted with new information make a Hegelian dialectic, that is a synthesis of two opposing ideas  to create something new. You haven’t said anything I haven’t read before on conservative media sites or heard someone repeat ad nauseam, there is no dialectic for me to have, it’s already been done. You are just ignoring points people are making with repetition, you obviously don’t want a debate at all, as you literally being confronted with one from, right now, and instead of challenging or reflecting on anything I’ve said you’ve retreated into your shell and acting like I want to  bully you . I am trying to help you here, some of the ideas and observations you have been asserting lately are incredibly worrying to me, I don’t care if we agree on stuff like this, I don’t care that your opinions differ, but I do care that you’re entering a rabbit hole that you can lost into and you literally ignore valid criticisms, this isn’t about Disney this is about everything lately, Disney is just a symptom, this is a topic that has been beat to death, and argued over for years already. I consider you a friend on here and someone that I want around, but this entry-level turning point USA reactionary thing you’ve got going has me incredibly concerned. 

You are bloody right that you aren’t thinking deeply at all. That’s some abrasion for you.

You’re very right I haven’t taken this that serious, I’ve been out all day and am a bit knackered. Maybe one day I’ll re-read this and give something new. I definitely appreciate the kind words and concerns though, I also consider you a friend.

28 minutes ago, Goku de la Boca said:

He’s trying to debate, you’re not engaging. It’s not really debate if you don’t address counterpoints the person you debate is making. Political debates by actual politicians done on TV are usually shit debates done for TV, but even politicians are expected to address the counterpoints to their arguments they’ve made.

Otherwise it’s just talking over someone, which you can’t really do on the internet lol - because people can call you out on it pretty easily.

7 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

That is interesting. And a bit weird because James Bond's been around for far longer than the 90s. But if a black Bond would make black British people feel weird, that's definitely interesting.

Scouse Bond is my new vote then. Black, white, whatever, I don't care as long as they're Scouse.

My bad I meant the 1900's 😂.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, MUFC said:

I watched a mermaid movie years ago when young. Even so she was half a fish she was very pretty.

No feet though. 

• Haha 2