talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League 2023/24 Gameweek 28 - 9-13th March, 2024

• Subscriber

They probably give that as a penalty normally but there's subconscious bias against giving it when the team has already had one in the game and when it's likely to decide such a big game.

Liverpool should have had a hatful in that second half. City really didn't seem at it.

Absolutely criminal that wasn’t given. I hate them, every official can’t do one. All as fucking useless as one another. 

We should have won that, we were excellent. I find it hard to criticise him after his effort today, but Diaz made a right mess of two golden chances. Still, it was absolutely imperative that we didn’t lose that game. 

So for all future games, we know because VAR checked and confirmed ............ You CAN raise your boot chest high, kick an opposition player in the chest whilst in the penalty area and not have a penalty given against you or a red card.

Every team every football league can now be assured this is allowed!

1 minute ago, Rick said:

Absolutely criminal that wasn’t given. I hate them, every official can’t do one. All as fucking useless as one another. 

We should have won that, we were excellent. I find it hard to criticise him after his effort today, but Diaz made a right mess of two golden chances. Still, it was absolutely imperative that we didn’t lose that game. 

The first one he made a mess of, I think the second is just brilliant defending by Walker

• Upvote 1

Just now, LFCMike said:

Brilliant performance from Liverpool though. Should have won but I was definitely taking a draw going into injury time! 

Agreed. Said to my dad that it was either gonna end in elation or heartbreak, just felt like that. When Doku hit the post I almost died :8_laughing:

• Haha 2

Just now, Rick said:

Agreed. Said to my dad that it was either gonna end in elation or heartbreak, just felt like that. When Doku hit the post I almost died :8_laughing:

I thought I was going to have a heart attack

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Rick said:

When Foden's ball came off the post I thought surely they cant be this lucky.

5 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Brilliant performance from Liverpool though. Should have won but I was definitely taking a draw going into injury time! 

We were brilliant but unlucky - but I’ll still take a point. Biggest thing was not losing.

I think despite not being more clinical, that second half was a very good sign. If we can dominate a side like City over 45 minutes we are very good team.

16 minutes ago, Rick said:

A little poo came out when that hit the post

• Haha 1

Van Dijk was top drawer. Bar one moment, I don't think Haaland had a sniff and the way he marshalled the defence and built Liverpool attacks from the back was key for them. There was one diagnal ball he played 2nd half which was unreal.

That City goal was geniusly worked. So, so clever and brilliantly executed.

The Macallister penalty was supurb when you think how long the delay was between the decision and the penalty being taken. Nerves of steel.

I actually think Klopp nearly ballsed up taking Bradley off and putting Gomez RB. Not sure if that was tactical, injury related or whatever, but it nearly lost them the game because when Doku came on, he had him beat each time. I'm sure a man of Klopp's character would have thought they would bring him on and I'd have thought Bradley would have dealt better with him.

Great game though, such an elite level the standard that was played at. Be good to see those two battle it out in the FA Cup final if it can happen that way.

Edited by Lucas

19 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

We were brilliant but unlucky - but I’ll still take a point. Biggest thing was not losing.

I think despite not being more clinical, that second half was a very good sign. If we can dominate a side like City over 45 minutes we are very good team.

I think when you consider we had our second choice keeper and fifth choice centre back, it's an excellent performance. I was worried they'd target Quansah today but he was brilliant.

What a squad Klopp is leaving for the next man

Edited by LFCMike
  • Upvote 1

• Subscriber

Often find Klopp annoying in his interviews these days but fair play for calling out that Mike Dean and all the other ex-referees who get asked will make up an excuse or new unwritten rule for why the VAR decision not to award the penalty was actually correct. 

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

I think when you consider we had our second choice keeper and fifth choice centre back, it's an excellent performance. I was worried they'd target Quansah today but he was brilliant.

What a squad Klopp is leaving for the next man

Playing devils advocate, do you believe this? Or is not Klopps brilliance getting such performances out of these players? Possibly a bit of both but I’m not convinced these same players would be performing like this without Klopp

2 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Often find Klopp annoying in his interviews these days but fair play for calling out that Mike Dean and all the other ex-referees who get asked will make up an excuse or new unwritten rule for why the VAR decision not to award the penalty was actually correct. 

In fairness to Dean, he said straight off the bat in the match, that's a penalty.

6 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Van Dijk was top drawer. Bar one moment, I don't think Haaland had a sniff and the way he marshalled the defence and built Liverpool attacks from the back was key for them. There was one diagnal ball he played 2nd half which was unreal.

That City goal was geniusly worked. So, so clever and brilliantly executed.

The Macallister penalty was supurb when you think how long the delay was between the decision and the penalty being taken. Nerves of steel.

I actually think Klopp nearly ballsed up taking Bradley off and putting Gomez RB. Not sure if that was tactical, injury related or whatever, but it nearly lost them the game because when Doku came on, he had him beat each time. I'm sure a man of Klopp's character would have thought they would bring him on and I'd have thought Bradley would have dealt better with him.

Great game though, such an elite level the standard that was played at. Be good to see those two battle it out in the FA Cup final if it can happen that way.

Mad how people wrote Van Dijk off after last season. Even early this season there was people who had doubts. He's still just as good as before his injury for me. The one on one with Haaland was incredible, 

1 minute ago, Storts said:

Playing devils advocate, do you believe this? Or is not Klopps brilliance getting such performances out of these players? Possibly a bit of both but I’m not convinced these same players would be performing like this without Klopp

I don’t think you get some of these performances without having a decent amount of quality. Whether they are consistent enough to play like this without Klopp, who knows. But for their age, I don’t think you can just seemingly fit in with first team players without that quality.

So I think it’s a good sign to have so many young players look good enough to keep us in a title race, regardless of who the manager is.

We’ve had injuries kill other seasons under Klopp, after all.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Storts said:

Fair point, I suppose you only have to look at players who have left Liverpool under Klopp. I still think he's leaving a really good squad but yeah probably a bit of both

3 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Mad how people wrote Van Dijk off after last season. Even early this season there was people who had doubts. He's still just as good as before his injury for me. The one on one with Haaland was incredible, 

That moment in particular was what this fixture is all about. Two of the best in their position going toe to toe. You'd have probably backed Haaland when he shifted it on to his left but Van Dijk made it difficult enough to put him off a clear shot.

And also as a follow up @Storts - I’m sure next season is going to be a lot tougher for the players, the young players and the senior players without Klopp.

I think he’s not just a good tactician he’s an incredible man manager. I’m gutted he’s leaving but I’m enjoying the season.

Probably important to remember that any new coach will want to bring their own players in who know their style inside out. Liverpool will probably sign about 5 players in the Summer that should fit the new style. Then on top of that you still have Allison, VVD, Trent and Salah who are all clearly world class (though may not all stay…). And then you have players like Robertson, Quansah, Mac Allister, Szobslai and Jota who either have it in them to play at that level or already have done so.

Probably also good to remember that Klopp himself said Liverpool were ahead of schedule and didnt expect to be fighting for the title.

• The topic was unpinned